All Things 2023 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Thanks for outing yourself as a troll. If you were actually a Gopher fan, you'd know that beating out a kid that had recent and legitimate offers from the Big Ten elite (not to mention a recent national champion in UVa and your beloved Iowa State Cyclones) is plenty of reason to get excited. I don't care if he is a 3-star. I care that Izzo, Painter, Holtmann and Bennett wanted him.
great post.

I'm not devaluing anything about the commit. I just said it in a different post. Clem, Tubby and Little Ricky all had these types of kids. Hold some of this back for the first really big one like Chatman if he falls to Ben
Chatman? Plenty of reason to think Christie is better. Not seeing Chatman is some consensus Five star or even four. Troll away

Take all 3. It wouldn't surprise me to see Battle and Garcia test the NBA Draft. And wouldn't surprise me to see one of them enter.
In all probability at least one will leave but with that said if you are recruiting based on the belief that everyone wants to be here, is it a good look to over recruit and doesn't it send a message that everyone is disposable. Doesn't it go back to the culture you are trying to create. Not sure over recruiting fits the narrative.

But, but, but… nobody uses all of their scholarships these day. I heard most coaches only recruit 10 or 11 players because… you know, they can’t keep that many players happy with only so much playing time available! Now we want 14 for only 13 spots? How could this happen?

But, but, but… nobody uses all of their scholarships these day. I heard most coaches only recruit 10 or 11 players because… you know, they can’t keep that many players happy with only so much playing time available! Now we want 14 for only 13 spots? How could this happen?

I’d rather have Ben Johnson managing the scholarships than you….maybe he wanted to save some of the scholarships for 23 because he knew there were guys he wanted and felt good about them committing.

Link?

Chatman? Plenty of reason to think Christie is better. Not seeing Chatman is some consensus Five star or even four. Troll away
Really nice post. hahahahahahaha Seems to me I see an All things Chatman thread and even a Betts thread from the rubes here yet no all things christie thread. And yet you post something that arse in nine, christie is better. That doesn't seem to be the case with the rest of the pack here.
At least be honest with yourself since you can't here. LOL

I’d rather have Ben Johnson managing the scholarships than you….maybe he wanted to save some of the scholarships for 23 because he knew there were guys he wanted and felt good about them committing.
the 3 buts means he is being sarcastic i assume

I believe we are underselling the signing of Christie. He has improved so much and grown over the past year. He is very young for a 2023 Senior. He will just turn 18 next summer. He is a full year younger than a lot of his classmates. When I saw him play last summer, he was about 6’3” and a skinny 160. I believe he is closer to 6’6” and 180 now. His brother Max developed very early and was already recognized as one of the top wings in the country by the time he was a sophomore in high school. He was a McD all American and played a slightly disappointing year at Michigan State although it was obvious how talented he was. I think Cam will be every bit the player Max is. He is maybe a smidge less athletic than Max, but I would argue more skilled because he had to develop those skills earlier.

i was able to watch him a few times this summer with his Illinois Wolves summer team. Just in a few months, he has gotten so much more assertive and has become the best player on the floor. He has great length. He is a guy that can now be a secondary ball handler and facilitate offense for others. Has all the skills, especially his long arms, to be a plus defender. He can score in many ways. I really like his mid range game. He will continue to improve. He is not a top 140 player. If you asked anyone this summer, especially coaches, he is at least a top 75 player. Anyone in the Big Ten would have taken him. Virginia tried to get involved. I heard Nova and Gonzaga were sniffing around. Coach Johnson outworked everyone for him. He identified him early and was relentless. He will be a starting wing for at least 2 to 3 years. I do not believe he will be a one and done. He can be a secondary ball handler which the Gopher system loves.

I believe we are underselling the signing of Christie. He has improved so much and grown over the past year. He is very young for a 2023 Senior. He will just turn 18 next summer. He is a full year younger than a lot of his classmates. When I saw him play last summer, he was about 6’3” and a skinny 160. I believe he is closer to 6’6” and 180 now. His brother Max developed very early and was already recognized as one of the top wings in the country by the time he was a sophomore in high school. He was a McD all American and played a slightly disappointing year at Michigan State although it was obvious how talented he was. I think Cam will be every bit the player Max is. He is maybe a smidge less athletic than Max, but I would argue more skilled because he had to develop those skills earlier.

i was able to watch him a few times this summer with his Illinois Wolves summer team. Just in a few months, he has gotten so much more assertive and has become the best player on the floor. He has great length. He is a guy that can now be a secondary ball handler and facilitate offense for others. Has all the skills, especially his long arms, to be a plus defender. He can score in many ways. I really like his mid range game. He will continue to improve. He is not a top 140 player. If you asked anyone this summer, especially coaches, he is at least a top 75 player. Anyone in the Big Ten would have taken him. Virginia tried to get involved. I heard Nova and Gonzaga were sniffing around. Coach Johnson outworked everyone for him. He identified him early and was relentless. He will be a starting wing for at least 2 to 3 years. I do not believe he will be a one and done. He can be a secondary ball handler which the Gopher system loves.
He is under valued. UVA has known the family for 3 years. Great people. They never scheduled a visit for Cam and have not followed him all spring. They are close on all the first line offers. However, no one knows if Taison or Cam will be the better player. UVA is not even top lining TC. This is a fantastic get. Ben and staff are sticking to character and fit. The best coaches can take theirs and beat yours. Time will tell with Ben but i really like what i see.

He is under valued. UVA has known the family for 3 years. Great people. They never scheduled a visit for Cam and have not followed him all spring. They are close on all the first line offers. However, no one knows if Taison or Cam will be the better player. UVA is not even top lining TC. This is a fantastic get. Ben and staff are sticking to character and fit. The best coaches can take theirs and beat yours. Time will tell with Ben but i really like what i see.
Nice post.

Really nice post. hahahahahahaha Seems to me I see an All things Chatman thread and even a Betts thread from the rubes here yet no all things christie thread. And yet you post something that arse in nine, christie is better. That doesn't seem to be the case with the rest of the pack here.
At least be honest with yourself since you can't here. LOL
In state recruits are generally the only ones who get an All Things thread dedicated to them. They are often for players who are identified as high major talent years before they commit to a college, and identified as kids the Gophers either have or likely will have recruiting interest in, sometimes months or years before the Gophers offer them. Out of state recruits often only get one shortly before committing here at the earliest. Christie’s commitment also came relatively suddenly. His last visit here was in February I think, and he never even put out a top 5 or top 3 or announced a commitment date or anything. No anticipation, just a spontaneous commitment, thus no lengthy recruiting thread dedicated specifically to him.

But yeah I’m not sure where the “no reason to believe Chatman is better than Christie” assertion came from, or the idea that Chatman isn’t a consensus 4 star recruit, because he literally is a consensus 4 star recruit. Every service I looked at ranked him between about 20 and 70 in his class, comfortably within 4 star range and on the cusp of 5 star status on a couple services.

From a free Kansas 247 board:

"Minnesota is pretty deep in there [with 4/5 star center Dennis Evans], fwiw. Might be in the best position before he takes visits."

Dennis Evans has a connection to Jaden Henley, I think they played AAU together.

"Minnesota is pretty deep in there [with 4/5 star center Dennis Evans], fwiw. Might be in the best position before he takes visits."

Dennis Evans has a connection to Jaden Henley, I think they played AAU together.

That would be a sweet get. Saw in a different article he mentioned wanting to take a visit to minnesota.

That quote was from Ryan Noel who is a writer for some of the Kansas recruiting sites and follows Jayhawks recruiting pretty closely, not just an off the cuff remark from anybody, lots of competition from all the big boys, with the Christie commit though it shows that Johnson is good at establishing relationships early that can pay off in the end.

Sounds like the Gophers are battling Kansas for two top recruits that the Jayhawks want badly, Evans and Chatman.

I had read awhile back that Evans said he definitely wants to visit Minnesota and TCU. Who knows what each kid prioritizes, but Riverside to Lawrence would register pretty high on the culture shock meter for anyone.

https://www.on3.com/news/is-7-1-dennis-evans-the-most-interesting-player-in-high-school-basketball/

Could be a program changing recruit. Got to think that the Henley connection is playing a big part.

Don't like to read too much into recruits talking about schools that are recruiting them.....as a lot of time it's nothing more than lip service. But the way those last couple of sentences are worded could be a reason for optimism.

Purdue's top commit, top 50 guard Dra Gibbs-Lawhorn, decommitted.

Winter after his Wisconsin official:

“The UW campus was just beautiful,” Winter said. “The college feel made it extra special; everybody there loves the Badgers, and the culture is awesome. The coaches and players are really cool, super easy to talk to, and are very nice.”

“I definitely could. Everything about UW is amazing, and it really does check all the boxes. Playing in Madison would be awesome, and more specifically in the Kohl center would be unreal.”

“I really like the coaches. Coach Gard, coach Krabbenhoft, and the others are super easy to talk to and want what’s best for me. They [UW] are honest with me about where I’m at and say the sky’s the limit on where I could wind up – they can benefit me greatly in the long run.”

“The UW campus was just beautiful,” Winter said. “The college feel made it extra special; everybody there loves the Badgers, and the culture is awesome. The coaches and players are really cool, super easy to talk to, and are very nice.”

“I definitely could. Everything about UW is amazing, and it really does check all the boxes. Playing in Madison would be awesome, and more specifically in the Kohl center would be unreal.”

“I really like the coaches. Coach Gard, coach Krabbenhoft, and the others are super easy to talk to and want what’s best for me. They [UW] are honest with me about where I’m at and say the sky’s the limit on where I could wind up – they can benefit me greatly in the long run.”

I’d disown him just for looking. No son of mine.

That sounds a lot more interested than some of his previous comments. I really like Winter, but I am very curious to see what we get with this class. Will Chatman or Evans commit and will we have room?

Am I the only who thinks Winter is sort of blah?

No blue bloods are after him. I really don't care if he goes to UW! We fill the spot with someone else. We only have one spot left.

Am I the only who thinks Winter is sort of blah?

No blue bloods are after him. I really don't care if he goes to UW! We fill the spot with someone else. We only have one spot left.
Sounds eerily similar to the mindset that has made Wisconsin a perennial NCAA tournament contender and us a bubble team.

Top Bottom