All Things 2023 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Not going the prep school route- coming to the U early and will be on the roster this season.

U staff must really think they have a big time talent in Betts and don't want to run the risk of him backing out and going somewhere else...not to mention, we wouldn't move this up if we didn't think he could come in and contribute immediately.

Go Gophers!!

U staff must really think they have a big time talent in Betts and don't want to run the risk of him backing out and going somewhere else...not to mention, we wouldn't move this up if we didn't think he could come in and contribute immediately.

Go Gophers!!
I'm guessing the Fox injury had a lot to do with this as well (assuming my source is correct here and this actually happens :)

I'm guessing the Fox injury had a lot to do with this as well (assuming my source is correct here and this actually happens :)
Yeah, you're not going to do it unless there is a real chance for significant PT.

They must also think he's pretty mature because he will likely struggle a lot. This isn't a rip on him but most freshman going through growing pains, so it's quite the leap for someone who should be a HS SR. Not all 17 year old people improve by going through adversity but the mature ones do.

I'm excited about this opportunity for him, it gives him a chance to get PT but he won't be needed to carry anything. We have some depth in those positions (Garcia, Ihnen, Battle, Payne, etc.) but there are definitely still minutes for him to play.

If everything works out, we should have a pretty seasoned and talented team heading into the 23-24 season.

Not going the prep school route- coming to the U early and will be on the roster this season.
Holy shit this is a great and creative move by Ben.

I was hoping the whole "extra scholarship" thing would give them flexibility for a late transfer but I had not considered this. I just got even more excited for this season.

Go Gophers!!
I kind of wondered why he was going prep school route after high school graduation anyway. That route seems more odd than coming straight to the U. It didn’t get a lot of attention when he committed and I just assumed he was going prep for his senior year not an extra year. That wasn’t the case. Not sure how old he is.

Interesting news on Mookie’s cousin. We’ll see if he plays much or just being on campus, working out, etc is the move.

Was about to say it’s against the rules for a coach to talk publicly about an unsigned recruit, but did not realize Betts was signing in addition to reclassifying.

Holy shit this is a great and creative move by Ben.

I was hoping the whole "extra scholarship" thing would give them flexibility for a late transfer but I had not considered this. I just got even more excited for this season.
Better than any portal add we would’ve gotten. Good move for bench depth.

I kind of wondered why he was going prep school route after high school graduation anyway. That route seems more odd than coming straight to the U. It didn’t get a lot of attention when he committed and I just assumed he was going prep for his senior year not an extra year. That wasn’t the case. Not sure how old he is.
He skipped his SR year. He’s still young. Just accelerated graduation

Better than any portal add we would’ve gotten. Good move for bench depth.
Yup, and I love that he will develop with the Gophers program instead of with some 1 year prep school.

I also wonder if it makes us a slight bit more attractive to Nolan Winter, since he would not be in the same class as Betts now.

Phenomenal news. Sounds exactly like Ben’s kind of personality! The amount of love we were showing him is amazing to hear.

Nice! Another good get, need to see them all on the court still but been really pleased with Ben’s high school recruiting in general so far.

Gonna be interesting to see how Ben approaches the rest of the 2023 class. With only 2 guaranteed spots for next year, does he take someone like Winter? Or do you hold out for Chatman? Do you take 3 and assume someone leaves?

Gonna be interesting to see how Ben approaches the rest of the 2023 class. With only 2 guaranteed spots for next year, does he take someone like Winter? Or do you hold out for Chatman? Do you take 3 and assume someone leaves?

I think if they can get both, they 100% take both. Would guess Winter decides in August and Chatman maybe a little later.

as we head further into an era with more roster churn and uncertainty, I think you have to grab talent whenever and wherever you can grab it.

the future will take care of itself - coaches have to focus on the "right here and right now."

So if a recruit wants to commit, you take him. If that leads to roster issues down the road, well, you cross that bridge when you come to it.

adding talent is always good.

Absolutely. With the way things are now, there is almost 100% chance somebody leaves before then.

This may sound bad, but now with the portal and how quickly kids are cutting bait, I think that has to go both ways. I don't envision any more Diedhiou's on the roster for 4-5 years any longer. If you're clogging up a spot, you will be encouraged to seek greener pastures.

Agreed. It's highly unlikely everyone will be back.

I think chances are fairly high that between Garcia, Battle and Cooper, at least 1 or maybe 2 of them moves on. Depends how their seasons go obviously, but Garcia is already a borderline pro and Battle and Cooper will both have their degrees. There is also the likelihood that someone who isn't pleased with playing time decides to go elsewhere.

I'm not waiting on Chatman for anything. If we get him, awesome, love it, but those guys that get the Blue Bloods involved it's just too tough to count on.

I'll take another PG right now that's solid.

*Good stuff with Betts and Christie, Ben workin'

Top Bottom