All Things 2023 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

I for one will let this recruiting cycle play out before I call it a failure
I’m not suggesting it’s a failure. Just recruiting seems especially difficult here. Like this years class and we have a good start with Betts for 23.

Maybe not what people want to hear but Iowa State and the second year coach continues to out recruit Minnesota. To me it’s becoming more and more apparent getting kids to come to Minneapolis is a harder sell than Ames.
We sure ISUs class is better than the U this year?

Payne is probably the best player.
King, Limpsey, and Carrington are equal
JOJ and Watson are similar.
Henley is a wild card

I do agree that it’s harder to recruit here than many fans want to believe. Ames is quite underrated as far as a campus. Kids like it there

Henley is a wild card

I do agree that it’s harder to recruit here than many fans want to believe. Ames is quite underrated as far as a campus. Kids like it there
Kids obviously like TJ as well.

Henley is a wild card

With their transfers pretty easily. Freshman it is closer.

Garcia is at Mn cuz he is from pl.
Who cares? He’s here and if the poster wants to claim Iowa States class is better it still means he counts towards it.

Ben is the reason Battle is here too. Does location help? Sure, but they wouldn’t be here if they didn’t like Ben, Thorson, and Staff as well. Truthfully Garcia is here to begin with if Ben’s the coach.

I’m pretty tired of high school recruits from MN including us in their top five, then announcing they will play elsewhere after making a big deal about when they will announce. Also tired of them promoting their “brand”. Yawn!
Yep. But at least the Gophers are still in the running. Who knows. Most folks condition themselves to expect another high ranked player ends up someplace rather than Dinkytown.

Yep. But at least the Gophers are still in the running. Who knows. Most folks condition themselves to expect another high ranked player ends up someplace rather than Dinkytown.
Ben’s was hired to break the pattern. Positive results are the only thing that will change those expectations.

Ben’s was hired to break the pattern. Positive results are the only thing that will change those expectations.
3 MN kids last year. Fox and Battle had tons of options transfer wise. Cycles are being broken. If we lose Chatman, it will be for different reasons than the last two staffs. It won’t be coaching, it’ll be NIL, Blueblood, etc…. That’s a start. If Ben wins more games we will win more of these. If he doesn’t we will have a new coach.

I’m pretty tired of high school recruits from MN including us in their top five, then announcing they will play elsewhere after making a big deal about when they will announce. Also tired of them promoting their “brand”. Yawn!
Chatman has listed us in the Top 5 as expected. 2/3 of your post hasn't happened yet.

He has mentioned his relationship with Johnson and the coaches. Each player is an individual with their own set of circumstances. Let's hope that Chatman makes an individual choice in our favor.

every recruit is going to make their own decision based on their own individual factors.

coach, program, system, campus, community, and the great unknown, NIL.

beyond that, well, there are a lot of good basketball players out there. The Gophers do not have to get all of them - they just have to get enough of them.

it is not a zero-sum game. If Iowa State gets a good recruit, that does not mean that MN can't get an equally-good recruit.

Border Battle breaking out for 6-foot-11 Lakeville North basketball star Nolan Winter​

The Gophers and Wisconsin coaching staffs will be in attendance in Vegas to watch Winter's possible return to the court Wednesday night. The border rivals are two of the programs recruiting the 2023 standout the hardest this summer.

An official visit with the Badgers is scheduled for Winter on Aug. 3. No official is set yet with the home state program, but Winter is already familiar with the Gophers.

Winter's father, Trevor, played for the U's 1997 Final Four team. Winter's built a strong relationship with coach Ben Johnson and assistant Dave Thorson.

"I'm in constant contact with Coach Johnson and Coach Thorson," Winter said. "They've been to every one of my games. I'm going down to Vegas and Coach Johnson and Coach Thorson are coming down there [not knowing] if I'm going to even play. They're really making me a priority and showing they really want me."

Since the Gophers offered him a scholarship last summer, Winter's grown a couple inches and established his own identity as a player. He is nearing his 7-foot father in height, but they have completely different playing styles.

"He's been playing well, and he keeps growing," Trevor Winter said of his son. "He has a lot of things going for him."

Nolan Winter has made a name for himself as one of the best outside shooting big men in his class. He's the No. 2 player in 2023 in Minnesota behind Totino-Grace's Taison Chatman and No. 88 nationally, according to PrepHoops.com.

"The schools who have offered me know my dad, but they said that's not why we offered you," Winter said. "My dad was a great player, but my game is nowhere near what his was. He was a bruiser in the post with a short corner jumper. I'm a stretch four playing on the perimeter. I'll go inside but I'm working on getting in the post a lot more."

Being the son of an ex-Gopher won't influence Winter's decision. Neither will the fact his high school has sent players to the Badgers in recent years with former center Nate Reuvers and current starting forward Tyler Wahl.

Winter also said Wisconsin's coaches have compared him to former Orono and Badgers big man Jon Leuer, who played in the NBA.

"I'll take an official out there and I'll see how I'm feeling about it," Winter said. "The Minnesota-Wisconsin pipeline and the fact that all the Lakeville kids went there — it's not influencing me to go there. I'll make my own decision and do what's right for me."

Go Gophers!!

Border Battle breaking out for 6-foot-11 Lakeville North basketball star Nolan Winter​

The Gophers and Wisconsin coaching staffs will be in attendance in Vegas to watch Winter's possible return to the court Wednesday night. The border rivals are two of the programs recruiting the 2023 standout the hardest this summer.

An official visit with the Badgers is scheduled for Winter on Aug. 3. No official is set yet with the home state program, but Winter is already familiar with the Gophers.

Winter's father, Trevor, played for the U's 1997 Final Four team. Winter's built a strong relationship with coach Ben Johnson and assistant Dave Thorson.

"I'm in constant contact with Coach Johnson and Coach Thorson," Winter said. "They've been to every one of my games. I'm going down to Vegas and Coach Johnson and Coach Thorson are coming down there [not knowing] if I'm going to even play. They're really making me a priority and showing they really want me."

Since the Gophers offered him a scholarship last summer, Winter's grown a couple inches and established his own identity as a player. He is nearing his 7-foot father in height, but they have completely different playing styles.

"He's been playing well, and he keeps growing," Trevor Winter said of his son. "He has a lot of things going for him."

Nolan Winter has made a name for himself as one of the best outside shooting big men in his class. He's the No. 2 player in 2023 in Minnesota behind Totino-Grace's Taison Chatman and No. 88 nationally, according to PrepHoops.com.

"The schools who have offered me know my dad, but they said that's not why we offered you," Winter said. "My dad was a great player, but my game is nowhere near what his was. He was a bruiser in the post with a short corner jumper. I'm a stretch four playing on the perimeter. I'll go inside but I'm working on getting in the post a lot more."

Being the son of an ex-Gopher won't influence Winter's decision. Neither will the fact his high school has sent players to the Badgers in recent years with former center Nate Reuvers and current starting forward Tyler Wahl.

Winter also said Wisconsin's coaches have compared him to former Orono and Badgers big man Jon Leuer, who played in the NBA.

"I'll take an official out there and I'll see how I'm feeling about it," Winter said. "The Minnesota-Wisconsin pipeline and the fact that all the Lakeville kids went there — it's not influencing me to go there. I'll make my own decision and do what's right for me."

Go Gophers!!
Imagine actually signing a player from Lakeville, Ben might get another extension on that alone : )

Go Gophers!!
Damn, this makes it sound like a big lead for the Gophers and he's just checking out Wisconsin for the hell of it.

Damn, this makes it sound like a big lead for the Gophers and he's just checking out Wisconsin for the hell of it.

Agreed. These are the recruiting battles Johnson needs to win. We were in on him early, remain as interested as any school, he's a legacy and a good fit. Let's wrap this one up.

Go Gophers!!

Evan Flood - the Wisconsin 247 writer - gave him a crystal ball to Minnesota a few weeks back, FWIW. Someone else on here commented that Wisconsin had potentially focused on another similar player or two in this class that seemed to make Winter going there unlikely. The official visit conflicts with that info, but let's hope the crystal ball is on point.

I’ve said for a while….I’m pretty confident he is going to be a Gopher. The Gophers have made him a priority since last summer. I still think the biggest threat is Stanford and not Wisconsin.

Top Bottom