All Things 2023 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Little Rock is a fine town as is Fayetteville where Arkasas U is actually located.
it was a forest gump movie quote. and like the use in this thread, Lt Dan referencing little rock was apropos of nothing.

Likely referencing the fact that Wisconsin has gotten a handful of guys from Lakeville. Wisconsin is interested in Winter as well.
When you grow up in Lakeville, I can only imagine the fear that being in an inner-urban setting must constantly trigger.

That's all I have to say on that.

Let's keep the thread on track.

I may be a fanboy because I am from Eagan, but this kid is legit. Saw him play against South St. Paul last night and he was an absolute bucket. Best player on the court. The game is so slow for him and his jumper plus incredible athletic ability makes him a true D1 talent. I know thorsen came and watched an open gym too so I know he is on the radar.

I may be a fanboy because I am from Eagan, but this kid is legit. Saw him play against South St. Paul last night and he was an absolute bucket. Best player on the court. The game is so slow for him and his jumper plus incredible athletic ability makes him a true D1 talent. I know thorsen came and watched an open gym too so I know he is on the radar.
How tall is this kid

He’s got a pretty jump shot.

RJ Jones, 247 top 50 guard from Texas, says he is planning on taking an official visit to Minnesota.

RJ Jones, 247 top 50 guard from Texas, says he is planning on taking an official visit to Minnesota.

That’s some great news! CBJ seems like he’s on the cusp of getting us to a consistent Sweet 16 threat… and he’s a 1st year coach… 🤯🤯🤯🤯

What percentage chance Winter is a Gopher?
hard to put a percentage on something like this....but seems to be the consensus that we are in a good spot with him....Doogie mentioned it and i believe RJ has said it was well...

i sure feel a lot more comfortable with Thorson and CBJ recruiting Winter and Chatman then i would be if Pitino was....

hard to put a percentage on something like this....but seems to be the consensus that we are in a good spot with him....Doogie mentioned it and i believe RJ has said it was well...

i sure feel a lot more comfortable with Thorson and CBJ recruiting Winter and Chatman then i would be if Pitino was....
I feel pretty good about it as well. How often does a recruit go to nearly every home game? And I really like Winter’s game.

That’s some great news! CBJ seems like he’s on the cusp of getting us to a consistent Sweet 16 threat… and he’s a 1st year coach… 🤯🤯🤯🤯
It will be great news to get an official from Jones. The first step is to get RJ on campus. The next step is to help him decide why MN is the best place for him over the next few years. Ben is up against some really good teams in this race- many in RJ's home state and all much closer than MN- so we have to hope that Ben can sell him on his vision for the program, how RJ fits, and how the coaches can help him develop in all phases of life.

Minnesota: "They're pretty good, the cold is different up there but they got cool guards that play with them so I like the flow of the game and stuff like that."

great to get him on campus but him even mentioning the weather...and he certainly had better things to say about the other programs

but again you get him on an official and take it from there

Paging CoMN, you named DT prior to CBJ. Must be racist.

NOTE: I am not calling you racist, just poking fun at the ridiculousness of making something like this about race.

His mother is a Gopher too. Heidi was an outstanding volleyball player. I’m assuming she and Trevor were contemporaries but not sure her graduation year.
2 ExGophers = Future Gopher, correct?

I wouldn't get carried away yet. Pitino was able to get a lot of highly rated guys on campus as well. Still a lot better than NOT getting anyone to visit though so props to Ben.

I have said many times I think Winter is a MASSIVE recruit. MN kid who has 2 Gophers athletes as parents, he is 100% the guy CBJ was hired to keep home. Not only that but playing with Robison can only help with him as well. I hate to use the "MUST GET" line, but I think he means a lot.

That said, its only 1/2 year but I do have some hope that CBJ can develop guys more than Pitino. That was the main issue with Pitino in my book, if we didnt get the highly ranked 4* kid we were stuck because no one got better with him. Look at when we succeeded with RP, it was when we had 4* guys like Oturu, Coffey etc. Again, only 1/2 year but I think the staff has shown the ability to mold/improve kids to get the best out of them. At the current moment I am less concerned about * ratings with our recruits than i have been in a long time.

I have said many times I think Winter is a MASSIVE recruit. MN kid who has 2 Gophers athletes as parents, he is 100% the guy CBJ was hired to keep home. Not only that but playing with Robison can only help with him as well. I hate to use the "MUST GET" line, but I think he means a lot.

That said, its only 1/2 year but I do have some hope that CBJ can develop guys more than Pitino. That was the main issue with Pitino in my book, if we didnt get the highly ranked 4* kid we were stuck because no one got better with him. Look at when we succeeded with RP, it was when we had 4* guys like Oturu, Coffey etc. Again, only 1/2 year but I think the staff has shown the ability to mold/improve kids to get the best out of them. At the current moment I am less concerned about * ratings with our recruits than i have been in a long time.
I get the overall premise but Murphy was a 3* and I’d consider to be on the list of all-time Gopher greats who got considerably better over his time at the U. Similar with Mason as well, though not an all-time great, was another 3* IIRC who was a 1st team All B1G. Some kids developed but I agree with the general premise that overall, it was hard to get excited for a Pitino-coached team without many 4* types on the roster.

RP was almost never at the open gyms of the top recruits. He never worked to establish relationships with the MN players and coaches in his backyard. Entertaining interview but terrible fit for MN program.

MN is like the third oldest team in the country - it’s fine to be hopeful CBJ can develop players, but I don’t think we will have any indication of that until next year at the earliest.

MN is like the third oldest team in the country - it’s fine to be hopeful CBJ can develop players, but I don’t think we will have any indication of that until next year at the earliest.
The evidence this season would be if players like Thompson and Thiam start to get a little more leash as the season goes on and prove to be dependable players.

Top Bottom