All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Being 0-18 in the playoffs, .200 winning percentage against the Yankees since 2010, 1-11 vs the Dodgers, tough history vs Houston the last 5 years all contribute to why I think they struggle to get up in big games.

I get your point that they aren't as good as those teams so they're going to lose more than win in those situations. But the twins aren't constantly "bad." They're good enough to beat a lot of other teams but just can't get out of their own way in any ones that seem to be "bigger" games.
Every team in your first paragraph has been or is simply a better team than the twins were or are. The dodgers this year on pace to win 114 games so it’s not surprising that they have not beaten the dodgers this year.

I agree in 2019 they were amazing and went into yankee field with a chance to compete offensively. Let’s then take a look at the starters for the series.

Game #1 Berrios vs Paxton slight favorite Yankees

Game #2 Dobnek (an Uber driver) vs Tanaka massive favorites to the Yankees

Game #3 Odarize vs Serviano maybe slight favorite twins

Of and don’t forget the Yankees had Chapman closing out the games.

The last chance they may have been favored in a series was the Astros in 2020 and they decided to not hit the ball and pull their starters to early to go to unreliable relievers. Of course the Astros had just gone to the World Series the year before.

I guess my point is the twins are who they are. They are a middle market team with some ok players and no superstars that should be happy they play in the AL central otherwise they would have been the orioles for the last 20 years. Of course now you sign a superstar in Correa and he’s having maybe his worst season ever.

Bases loaded no outs and the ball is out in play 1 time for a SF by Correa. It wasn’t like it was the bottom of the order that failed it was Buxton and Polonco striking out on opposite sides of the SF.

Speaking of Kepler he was pitched down and away on every pitch throws to him in the 4th inning. Plus it was a lefty pitcher so the ball should have been tailing that way too. Why he can not simply stick the bat out there and punch the ball left field Is beyond my comprehension. It’s is just one ground out after another by him.

Don’t look now by Dylan Bundy is competing with Joe Ryan to lead the twins in inning pitches this season. Bundy with 93.1 and Ryan with 95.2. Of course Bundy has pitched in 19 games and Ryan in only 18 games.

Not that this is news, but Kepler is unplayable right now at the plate. Make up an injury and send him down to St.Paul for a rehab assignment. At least he’s a good fielder, so it’s not a total wash, but good grief.
They have no one else. If Wallner had been moved up to triple-a sooner then maybe they make the move there.

Nick Gordon what the HELL are you doing. trying to dive for the ball for no reason what so ever. we tie going to extra.

Well great job Lopez. You had the bottom of the order and just had to walk a guy so the tying run was on base after getting ahead 0-2.

The lifeless Angels that had been shutout in 16 straight innings score a run in the 8th and 2 in the 9th off the Twins two best relievers to send this game to extras. Lopez wasn't helped by Gordon's decision as Gordon continue to be a minus defender.

Lopez gave up two hits to guys currently batting .226 and .217, and walked a batter that is hitting .207. This would be another inexcusable loss if they cannot pull it out in extras.

Nick Gordon what the HELL are you doing. trying to dive for the ball for no reason what so ever. we tie going to extra.
Does it matter if he doesn’t dive. The ball is by him to the wall and they tie it regardless. The only question was whether they were gonna lose on an inside the park homer.

Oh and maybe it’s because he’s not a left fielder, but that doesn’t stop the twins from playing people in the outfield with no experience (see Royce Lewis).

The lifeless Angels that had been shutout in 16 straight innings score a run in the 8th and 2 in the 9th off the Twins two best relievers to send this game to extras.
They “got up” to face the twins best pitchers.

Don’t forget Rocco put Gordon in left field by choice as a replacement for Jake Cave. Not saying it changes anything, but it was a decision that Rocco made.

And here come low situation Pagan for the 10th because we had to burn 4 relievers for 4 innings. I mean both Jax and Thielbar both threw 13 pitches and struck out 5 of the 6 batters they faced. I’m sure they were exhausted after that. Plus now Lopez and Duran are probably unavailable tomorrow cause they pitched yesterday too.

Random thought: with a runner starting on 2nd, it is possible to have a 2 pitch inning.

And of course pagan is the only relieve that can throw in back to back innings. He accomplishes to do in the 11th what he couldn’t do in the 10th to lose the game.z

Rocco and the handling of the bullpen is just exhausting.

Twins lose 5-3 after Pagan serves up the walk-off homerun. How Pagan remains on this team is a mystery. He must have some serious dirt on Rocco.

You just can’t keep Pagan pitching in any situation. Maybe Rocco needs to go ask Jayce Tingler about Pagan and how it went in San Diego and why Jayce is the bench coach for the twins and not managing the Padres this year.

Nobody else is allowed to go back to back innings only the low leverage relieve Pagan is afforded that special privilege. Good news is he can pitch tomorrow again when Duran and Lopez can’t.

65 pitches through 5 innings. No run. 2 hits. But "the numbers" say you're more likely to allow hits, so you're done. Are these folks ever going to realize sports aren't played in Excel and the crown princes of nerdball in Oakland never won shit?

Random thought: with a runner starting on 2nd, it is possible to have a 2 pitch inning.

Technically you could have a one pitch inning if you start by intentionally walking the first batter before getting a triple play.

Also....I consider this game a win....as I bet over 8 runs (can't believe they didn't score on Bundy). So I ended up pushing. I'll take it.

Top Bottom