All Things 2022 CFB Playoffs

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Thought we could get a thread going to talk playoffs.

First ranking is out. LSU at #10 is a bit of a surprise but not really because they’re in the SEC.

LSU top 10 is just offensive, seems like they’ve been placed there to add a top 10 win to Alabama’s questionable (to say the least) résumé.

Alabama above TCU is also absurd. TCU with wins over #13 and #18 and Alabama had to knock out Texas’ starting QB to eke out a win over #24 (who also shouldn’t be ranked)?

Here is the initial list for those looking for context:

Go Gophers!!

I love the fact that LSU is #10 because they beat an SEC team whose best win was against another over ranked SEC team in Kentucky. They literally have beaten no one and lost to a OK FSU team. I understand the SEC bias, but I hate how ridiculous it is. Penn State, who has the same record, has a more impressive resume. They only have losses to top 5 teams. Ole Miss is in the same boat. When people complain early in the year that MN shouldn't be ranked because they haven't beaten anyone, the same should be said for these schools as well. I am not saying they shouldn't be ranked, just more in the 15-20 area vs. top 10 range. I believe once the playoff is expanded and games are play nationally vs. in the SEC's back yard on the yearly, we will see more balance in rankings and national championship wins.

lol at these rankings. no consistency whatsoever.

GA over OSU (GA obliterated Oregon; OSU's best win is over PSU, who they have ranked lower).
Michigan over Clemson (Michigan has the win over PSU; Clemson has beat.... NC State? Wake?)
TCU over Bama (Bama's best resume piece is a close loss over Tennessee. Yes, a loss)

After this it turns into a crap shoot where we say the SEC is better than everyone in spite of what the postseason results (aka the only times they're playing consistently head-to-head) say.

I don't have to agree with them, just be consistent with how you're applying the resumes.

Thought we could get a thread going to talk playoffs.

First ranking is out. LSU at #10 is a bit of a surprise but not really because they’re in the SEC.
LSU is rated way too high and Texas should not be ranked at all. Change the logo from TCU to Texas and they would be in the top 4.

LSU is rated way too high and Texas should not be ranked at all. Change the logo from TCU to Texas and they would be in the top 4.
Others have pointed out that they probably wanted to have Ole Miss high and they had to put LSU up there too since LSU just beat them. It's stupid.

From the beginning I felt Michigan was ranked too high, but it was to solidify fOSU for the CFP.

LSU @ 10 demonstrates why the next CFP format can’t have the field be decided by a committee.
I personally discount Week 1 and 2 very heavily. What teams are in those weeks, are almost never what they are towards the end of the season.

And they easily should've won anyway. So I heavily discount the FSU loss.

Only other loss is to the #1 ranked team. Which, fair enough.

This weekend's game vs Alabama will say a lot.

So, I don't really think I agree with you.

If the Big Ten and SEC don't end up splitting and doing their own thing from a playoff perspective (once they both finally hit 20 teams) they should do a Big Ten/SEC challenge like the Big/ACC one in basketball. This will either fully show that the SEC is indeed in a league of their own or that they are normally overrated.

This is how I see it:
1. Tennessee - really good resume with some truly dominate wins and the Alabama win.
2. tOSU - nobody has come within 10 points of them and they handled PSU.
3. Georgia - felt like putting them #2, they only have one close game against Missouri as a slight stain.
4. Michigan - only close win was against 6-2 Maryland who are proving to be pretty good.
5. Clemson - lots of close wins against so-so teams, feels like they are on the edge of losing regularly.
6. TCU - they have a really good resume and no losses.
7. Alabama - their third string has more 4* players than the Gopher team. Just a machine.
8. Oregon - what if they replayed week 1 now? Ok, they’d still lose.
9. USC - over-ranked but buoyed by their coach. Tried really hard to find someone else.
10. Illinois - of all the one loss teams would you pick any of them to score major points on them? Ok, this should really be UCLA!

LSU @ 10 demonstrates why the next CFP format can’t have the field be decided by a committee.
It needs to be an objective formula
The committee is the worst thing to happen to college football

Georgia
OSU
Michigan
TCU
This is my guess too. Don’t think TN stays in top 4 this week after getting blown out.

I’m just hoping we avoid yet another multiple SEC-team playoff. There should not be one conference taking up half the spots when there are more “power” conferences than there are spots. And if you can’t win your own conference, you shouldn’t get a chance to play for the national championship.

Best odds of that are, I think:

1. Undefeated UGA
2. B1G champ
3. Undefeated TCU
4. One-loss PAC-12 champ (USC probably has the best chance at keeping another SEC team at bay since Oregon lost to UGA already)

A lot rides on TCU and the PAC-12. I’ll be rooting hard for USC and TCU. And UGA for that matter…LSU winning the SEC could make thing really weird and arbitrary.

This is my guess too. Don’t think TN stays in top 4 this week after getting blown out.

I’m just hoping we avoid yet another multiple SEC-team playoff. There should not be one conference taking up half the spots when there are more “power” conferences than there are spots. And if you can’t win your own conference, you shouldn’t get a chance to play for the national championship.

Best odds of that are, I think:

1. Undefeated UGA
2. B1G champ
3. Undefeated TCU
4. One-loss PAC-12 champ (USC probably has the best chance at keeping another SEC team at bay since Oregon lost to UGA already)

A lot rides on TCU and the PAC-12. I’ll be rooting hard for USC and TCU. And UGA for that matter…LSU winning the SEC could make thing really weird and arbitrary.
It’s strange because I think the pac 12 is the worst power 5 conference but the way the schedule sets up they’re going to have 5 in the top 25 this week.

Big 12 has 6 in the top 40 but the way their schedule sets up they all have 3 losses except one. They may end the season with just 2-3 in top 25

I think 1. UGA, 2. OSU, 3. Mich, 4. TCU, 5.TN. However, if TN wins rest of their games, they move up to #4 and replace Mich/OSU loser. LSU could make things interesting if they win out. TCU has to win out. I think UGA is only team at this point that could afford 1 loss.

Georgia
OSU
Michigan
TCU
It HAS to be this. Complete BS if Tennessee somehow stays above TCU. Put them 5 if you want, although a little of the shine came off their signature win last night when Bama lost again.

Georgia
OSU
Michigan
TCU
Tennessee
Oregon

The list of who still has hope for the postseason is shrinking rapidly.
GA, OSU, Mich, TCU get the top 4
Tenn, Oregon, USC, LSU, Clemson, UNC, UCLA, Ole Miss are the teams still realistically Alive. This week made it much weirder for in the ways for the SEC to get 2 teams in. LSU, Georgia, Tenn should all win out in regular season. LSU over GA in title game and I’d about guarantee we ignore that ugly loss to FSU and they get in. How do they rank the loser of MI-OSU vs Tennessee? What if Ole Miss finishes the year with one loss only to LSU and some other teams pick up losses? The season is going to finish with 5 SEC teams in the top 10 for sure now

Per Axios Sports:

Tomorrow's CFP rankings will be the first without Alabama or Clemson in the top four since Nov. 11, 2014 — the third set of CFP rankings ever.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom