All Things 2022-2023 Minnesota Twins Off-Season Thread

MLB: “how do we appeal more to kids?”
“Let’s add a ghost runner in extra innings, so it’s more like their own sandlot games!”
“What, kids don’t play baseball anymore, and just sit on their phones all day?”
“Well, let’s keep it anyway, because we don’t want to admit we made a mistake.”
I don't love the rule. They should at least push it off to the 11th inning. But no one is going to start or stop following MLB over this.

Rules committee also put new restrictions on when a position player may pitch in a game.

from the AP:

Use of position players as pitchers also was tightened by the committee. They will be limited to extra innings, when a player's team is losing by eight or more runs or is winning by 10 or more runs in the ninth inning. Last year, a position player could pitch only in extra innings or if his team was losing or winning by six or more runs.

Use of position players as pitchers rose from 90 in 2019 to 89 in 2021 and 132 last year, according to the commissioner's office. Use when trailing by six or seven runs increased from eight in 2019 to 16 in 2021 to 28 last year.

Use when leading by six or more runs rose from 1 in 2019 and none in 2021 to 18 last season.
Yeah, even 1 more inning of regular rules would make it more palatable. I am curious if the Auto Runner causes a significant difference in Road or Home team winning.

I know some minor leagues were implementing Home Run Derby to decide games. Ick.
Just do rock paper scissors and get it over with in a minute.

I hate this rule too, but I also hate games that go 12+ innings. What other rule could you put in place to keep extra innings to a minimum? I’m not sure one exists.
The Nippon Professional Baseball League (Japan) allows for ties after 12 innings.

I don't think that's any better, but I am not sure it's any worse either.

The Nippon Professional Baseball League (Japan) allows for ties after 12 innings.

I don't think that's any better, but I am not sure it's any worse either.
Ted lasso would not let mlb teams kiss their sister

I hate this rule too, but I also hate games that go 12+ innings. What other rule could you put in place to keep extra innings to a minimum? I’m not sure one exists.
Under the old rule it was something like 40% of extra inning games ended in the 10th and about 70% by the end of the 11th. I think adding the runner starting in the 11th or 12th would be a good compromise.

my gut tells me that MLB is very much aware that the baseball audience is getting older and smaller.
and two of the biggest complaints are that "the games are too long" and "there's not enough action."

so they are doing what they can to address those issues. adding the pitch clock speeds up the game. restricting the shift should lead to more hits and base runners. bigger bases could lead to more stolen bases, hit-and-run plays, etc. = more action.

and the 'ghost runner' at least gives teams an opportunity to end an extra-innings game sooner - before the audience tunes out or goes home because it's past bedtime for the kids (and us older folks).

------------------

on Kirilloff - was reading an article. Kirk Gibson had the same surgery early in his career. He turned out OK.

Pitchers and catchers report today!

giphy.gif

Since the Twins pitchers and catchers are reporting to Spring Training today is it time to start the All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins Regular Season Thread?

I don't want to be presumptuous or step on anyone's toes.

Hope springs eternal.

Top Bottom