All Things 2022-2023 Minnesota Twins Off-Season Thread

Baldelli's primary responsibility with the club appeared to be looking at the other team's starting pitcher and sprinting to the lineup card to insert Garlick if it was a LHP. This should give him more time to get his naps in.

Baldelli's primary responsibility with the club appeared to be looking at the other team's starting pitcher and sprinting to the lineup card to insert Garlick if it was a LHP. This should give him more time to get his naps in.
He now has to do that with Farmer. And ask every player if they "need a day off their feet". No rest for the weary.

He now has to do that with Farmer. And ask every player if they "need a day off their feet". No rest for the weary.
I've read a few books, Killiebrews, Oliva, Kelly, Carew, Hrbeks etc. Some have talked about the need to get those days off. It can get extremely hot on the field where it can take a toll. In addition, you have those nagging injuries that do need to be tended to. If we want to be strong in October, we need to be smart during the season. Hopefully though our new trainer may help with some of these issues. We look at baseball like a fun easy game to be played every day without problems. Not exactly the case as the season wears on.

I've read a few books, Killiebrews, Oliva, Kelly, Carew, Hrbeks etc. Some have talked about the need to get those days off. It can get extremely hot on the field where it can take a toll. In addition, you have those nagging injuries that do need to be tended to. If we want to be strong in October, we need to be smart during the season. Hopefully though our new trainer may help with some of these issues. We look at baseball like a fun easy game to be played every day without problems. Not exactly the case as the season wears on.
I don't think anyone's suggested players play 162. But the Twins have gone pretty far off the deep-end in the other direction. "Yes, it's a Saturday home game in June, but we're sitting Buxton and Correa. It's just the way their scheduled off days fell. Nothing I can do."

I watched the press conference. Scott Boras was really pounding the notion that Correa is not damaged goods. said that "just looking at an MRI" does not tell you the whole story and said that different doctors can come to different conclusions.

Boras also praised the (quote) "juggernaut of young talent" in the Twins' system. And Boras also pointed out that, if Correa plays out the whole 10 years with the Twins, then he will have earned over $300-Million from the Twins, counting the '22 season.

Correa said that the Twins were one of "a few" teams that he would have considered signing with.
Said he and Buxton talk "almost every day." Mentioned Miranda as one of the young players he wants to keep working with.

on his health, Correa said he's been working out, the ankle feels fine and has never given him any trouble. said he was surprised when the Giants and Mets raised concerns.

and yes, Correa said this means "more Juicy Lucys." and said his son will "grow up to be Minnesota Nice." the dude can schmooze.

Joe Pohlad was asked if this means a new shift in Twins' philosophy on payroll. Said they will approach each signing on a "case by case" basis.

Details of the contract, including vesting options. This really takes out a lot of the injury risk after year 6. I can’t believe how good of a deal this was for the Twins. There’s always risk in these big deals but easily worth it in this case.

Details of the contract, including vesting options. This really takes out a lot of the injury risk after year 6. I can’t believe how good of a deal this was for the Twins. There’s always risk in these big deals but easily worth it in this case.

Yes, yes and yes.

Is @howeda7 going to pen a bon mot to Falvey & friends?

the critics will always find a reason to criticize.

Skor North quickly pivoted to "signing Correa is meaningless unless the Twins also make major moves to improve the pitching staff. Without better pitching, they're really not any different than last year."

the other one they're pushing is "you can't assume the injured players are going to be healthy this year." ---- of course, that in itself is an assumption that the injured players are not going to be healthy.

Skor North quickly pivoted to "signing Correa is meaningless unless the Twins also make major moves to improve the pitching staff. Without better pitching, they're really not any different than last year."

the other one they're pushing is "you can't assume the injured players are going to be healthy this year." ---- of course, that in itself is an assumption that the injured players are not going to be healthy.
i'm just really not too sure how much more we CAN improve the staff...i mean we could have 5 number 1's to throw out there but realistically we have 5 pretty competent starters with a few decent depth pieces already. In my opinion, on paper, this is the best staff we've had 1-5 in 20 years.

If anything they need to strengthen the bullpen.

Skor North is a clown show of dummies that should be ignored

i'm just really not too sure how much more we CAN improve the staff...i mean we could have 5 number 1's to throw out there but realistically we have 5 pretty competent starters with a few decent depth pieces already. In my opinion, on paper, this is the best staff we've had 1-5 in 20 years.

If anything they need to strengthen the bullpen.
This is why the notion that they might trade Arraez for a starter who's pretty much as good as what they already have irks me to no end. Huge "if", but Ober and Ryan take big steps up, Maeda and Mahle are healthy and you're in a scenario where Sonny Gray is your #5 starter. That's really good for this franchise. Unless you're willing to sell the farm for someone who's a legitimate, #1 ace, I don't see the sense in getting rid of one of the toughest outs in baseball

This is why the notion that they might trade Arraez for a starter who's pretty much as good as what they already have irks me to no end. Huge "if", but Ober and Ryan take big steps up, Maeda and Mahle are healthy and you're in a scenario where Sonny Gray is your #5 starter. That's really good for this franchise. Unless you're willing to sell the farm for someone who's a legitimate, #1 ace, I don't see the sense in getting rid of one of the toughest outs in baseball
I don’t see Sonny as the #5 starter gif this staff - way 2 many what ifs.

Otherwise agree with the rest.

Whoa Nellie -

Hopefully Tatis can absorb more than Sano did. Great signing to provide some maturity and leadership.

Off to the Padres for 1 year @ $1M

If the Twins are going to make a trade for another starter, it should be for a real top end guy IMO. Lopez is good, but he's very similar to what we already have. I know in this day and age you need depth because someone will always get hurt but I'm not sure it's worth it.

At the very least, maybe hold off until the trade deadline to make a trade like that.

If the Twins are going to make a trade for another starter, it should be for a real top end guy IMO. Lopez is good, but he's very similar to what we already have. I know in this day and age you need depth because someone will always get hurt but I'm not sure it's worth it.

At the very least, maybe hold off until the trade deadline to make a trade like that.
Varland, Winder, and even Woods-Richardson can fill in for injuries. So, I agree...#1 or #2 caliber starter or there isn't much of a point.

Sonny Gray is not the #5 of the staff, Ober or Meada is, but otherwise agreed. They need 4/5 of the current rotation to be good/healthy. If they are, trade for a #1 at the deadline if you can. If they're not, you won't win the division anyway. Rotation depth isn't really an issue. Lack of a #1 is, but Lopez isn't that and they can't possibly afford Alcantara.

So just roll with what you have and see where you are in July. If you can flip Kepler and Paddock for Cabrera from the Marlins, I would do that, but he's more a #3/#4 at this moment.

For what? It's good contract, but they bumbled around and he fell back in their lap. It's not like this was a well-planned/executed off-season.
Okay, Mr. HardAzz🤪

Did you lose your funny bone in a childhood accident? Lighten up and be happy we have a chance for Rocco’s third Central 👑 😉

Last edited:

Sonny Gray is not the #5 of the staff, Ober or Meada is, but otherwise agreed. They need 4/5 of the current rotation to be good/healthy. If they are, trade for a #1 at the deadline if you can. If they're not, you won't win the division anyway. Rotation depth isn't really an issue. Lack of a #1 is, but Lopez isn't that and they can't possibly afford Alcantara.

So just roll with what you have and see where you are in July. If you can flip Kepler and Paddock for Cabrera from the Marlins, I would do that, but he's more a #3/#4 at this moment.
I wasn't saying Gray is #5 right now. Speculating what if Ober makes some wild progress forward this season and Maeda returns to 2020 form. I'm by no means banking on that. The odds are better that their #1 starter in September is a deadline deal Rich Hill than they finish with a rock-solid 5-man rotation.

Lopez is 26yrs old. up to this point, he's been a .500 pitcher, but his numbers are pretty good in terms of WHIP, K/9, ERA+, etc.

as for why they could consider trading Arraez, I would offer these thoughts:
-Arraez is not a great infielder. he's OK at 1B, but that is a position where you would typically want more power. he's not very fast and has had a few injury issues. If you move Arraez, that opens up 1B for Miranda or Kirilloff with Farmer at 3B until Lewis returns. Also, moving Arraez could pave the way for Julien to move up to the major-league roster sooner.

I'm fine if they keep Arraez, but I could also live with a trade. Kepler has to go - just too many left-handed hitting OF at this point.

Lopez is 26yrs old. up to this point, he's been a .500 pitcher, but his numbers are pretty good in terms of WHIP, K/9, ERA+, etc.

-Arraez is not a great infielder. he's OK at 1B, but that is a position where you would typically want more power. he's not very fast and has had a few injury issues. If you move Arraez, that opens up 1B for Miranda or Kirilloff with Farmer at 3B until Lewis returns. Also, moving Arraez could pave the way for Julien to move up to the major-league roster sooner.

I'm fine if they keep Arraez, but I could also live with a trade. Kepler has to go - just too many left-handed hitting OF at this point.
I have a tough time parting with a young cheap hitting champion. But you lay out a good reasoning

We will just have a number of options in the IF in next few years and Arraez is the most likely to net us a return without giving up a blue chip (lewis or Lee).

- Royce Lewis
- Kiriloff (1B)
-Brooks Lee (SS, 2B, 3B) - Our first rounder next year. He absolutely smashed three levels in the minors last year, he's already 22, and if he keeps hitting, he is probably a September call up.
-Edourdo Julien (IF) - We probably are going to need to find a spot for him sooner rather than later. Last year in AA (.300/.441/.931). He has a minor league career .922 OPS. The guy can really hit.

We will just have a number of options in the IF in next few years and Arraez is the most likely to net us a return without giving up a blue chip (lewis or Lee).

- Royce Lewis
- Kiriloff (1B)
-Brooks Lee (SS, 2B, 3B) - Our first rounder next year. He absolutely smashed three levels in the minors last year, he's already 22, and if he keeps hitting, he is probably a September call up.
-Edourdo Julien (IF) - We probably are going to need to find a spot for him sooner rather than later. Last year in AA (.300/.441/.931). He has a minor league career .922 OPS. The guy can really hit.
Julien is a sneaky guy I’m really excited about. Good hitter and just gets on base a ton. A .441 OBP with 17 HR at AA last year.

Julien is a sneaky guy I’m really excited about. Good hitter and just gets on base a ton. A .441 OBP with 17 HR at AA last year.
Yeah, he has hit the hell out of the ball throughout the minors. He has been a significantly better hitter in the minors than Arraez or Miranda.

Julien and Martin mashed the fall league as well.
I love Luis, but if we get an excellent return, we have lots of other options and good front office knows when to go all in

Last edited:

I'd honestly give up the farm system for Alcantara at this point. His contract is good for like 3 or 4 more years with team options after (I think haven't checked). In 3 or 4 years you can re stock a bit and we'll be contenders during that whole time.

Top Bottom