All Things 2022-2023 Minnesota Twins Off-Season Thread

Chia Russo is ripping the deal and Twins on hi show High Heat on MLB - how in the world this guy has been cashing checks this long mystifies me as he is simply a hack who incessantly shouts

Chia Russo is ripping the deal and Twins on hi show High Heat on MLB - how in the world this guy has been cashing checks this long mystifies me as he is simply a hack who incessantly shouts
What on earth could he be ripping them on? This is nothing compared to the deal other players have gotten.

Given Minnesota's injury history, over/under on 25 games before Correa's leg shatters as he jogs out on the field during an inning change.

What on earth could he be ripping them on? This is nothing compared to the deal other players have gotten.
That the Twins can only compete for a division title and not WS like the Mets.

He stated that the real reason he didn’t go back to the Mets is because he would have egg on his face from dropping from the original offer to 157 and he wanted to really play with the Mets and Lindor vs making an extra 42.5M.

It’s East Coast bias vs. flyover country.

Last edited:

It's one of those good problems, but Correa went from $350 million guaranteed to $200 million guaranteed. So I don't think it's been a great outcome for him.
True, but he stays as SS here instead of 3B and maybe doesn't want to play until age 41 anyway.

Good for the Twins, now "only" $200 Million guarantee when previously they were offering $280 Million.

A little pleasant log jam. Miranda was slated for third. Do you put him back at 1st once Lewis recovers, plays short and then Correa over to third?

I believe Lewis has a huge upside and will do well with the Twins for the long haul. I'd hate to trade him away.

True, but he stays as SS here instead of 3B and maybe doesn't want to play until age 41 anyway.

Good for the Twins, now "only" $200 Million guarantee when previously they were offering $280 Million.
If Correa only wanted to play until he was 34, he always could have accepted a lower salary.

I'm happy for the Twins though and I think Correa will be just fine.

A little pleasant log jam. Miranda was slated for third. Do you put him back at 1st once Lewis recovers, plays short and then Correa over to third?

I believe Lewis has a huge upside and will do well with the Twins for the long haul. I'd hate to trade him away.
I don't think it's an issue for 2023. Lewis's best case is coming back after the All Star break. It will depends who's healthy by then. Not sure they want to put him back in the OF though.

Lewis can play second or third IMO; Correra is considered some of the best defensive SS and you’re not paying him that money to move right away- may happen later in the deal, but not initially

Lewis can play second or third IMO; Correra is considered some of the best defensive SS and you’re not paying him that money to move right away- may happen later in the deal, but not initially
Now trading Arraez might be a possibility, especially if it can bring back some quality pitching.

Now trading Arraez might be a possibility, especially if it can bring back some quality pitching.
If the Twins are in a win-now window, and they should be, trading one of your 3 best hitters who just won a batting title is illogical. But so is trading your closer for an injured #3 starter on Opening Day.

I saw a tweet somewhere that said Correa's defensive rating went down last season.

found it - David Schoenfield, ESPN:

Aside from the plate in his leg, the long-term issue here is how long can Correa remain at shortstop. His defensive metrics went backward in 2022:

Defensive runs saved: +20 to +3

Outs above average: +11 to minus-3

He's also losing speed on the bases, which could explain the decline in defense. That might suggest a move to third base comes sooner than the Twins anticipate.

apparently one of the issues with the old injury is that Correa has never been a speedster, and there is concern that he will slow down more as he ages

I don't think it's an issue for 2023. Lewis's best case is coming back after the All Star break. It will depends who's healthy by then. Not sure they want to put him back in the OF though.

Lewis isn’t any more likely to get hurt playing OF vs IF. The two knee injuries make it even more likely that he’ll play OF long term.

He can replace Buxton when he’s inevitably done for the season in July.

Lewis isn’t any more likely to get hurt playing OF vs IF. The two knee injuries make it even more likely that he’ll play OF long term.

He can replace Buxton when he’s inevitably done for the season in July.
Perhaps the case. I do think throwing him out there last year without having really played it in the minors wasn't smart though and contributed to his injury. If that's the case, they will not rush him back, and he might not see the majors until August/September if they want him to play OF in the minors for awhile.

It's basically a six year deal at $33M/year. There's no reason for the Twins not to do it. Correa would have to play about 150 games in the sixth year of the contract to earn the seventh year. He's only hit that number once in his career. By 2024 he'll be at third base to make room for Lewis or Lee at SS. The Twins infield defense will be very, very solid.

The question now becomes can you get a sustainably healthy number one starter for Arraez. If not, would you trade him for a number two starter?

If Correa only wanted to play until he was 34, he always could have accepted a lower salary.

I'm happy for the Twins though and I think Correa will be just fine.
But he'll earn more on a per season basis from this Twins ($33M) deal than either the Giants or Mets offers which were quashed ($27-26 M).

That's the victory for Correa. If he's still healthy at age 34, he can close the gap or surpass those contracts when it's all added up.

But he'll earn more on a per season basis from this Twins ($33M) deal than either the Giants or Mets offers which were quashed ($27-26 M).

That's the victory for Correa. If he's still healthy at age 34, he can close the gap or surpass those contracts when it's all added up.
It's not a victory for Correa, he could have gotten this deal earlier if he wanted them.

If Correa has his choice, he would have taken the San Fran numbers rather than ours. He didn't want the shorter contract - he could have had it. He wanted the guarantee $100+ million to get paid through his 30s.

Twins have full control of him. Twins can choose for him to be a twin until he is 38

It's not a victory for Correa, he could have gotten this deal earlier if he wanted them.

If Correa has his choice, he would have taken the San Fran numbers rather than ours. He didn't want the shorter contract - he could have had it. He wanted the guarantee $100+ million to get paid through his 30s.
I didn't mean to imply Correa wouldn't rather have the deal he thought he was getting with either SF or NYM.

When those were pulled, he circled back and got more on an annual basis. That's a victory, in a specific aspect of the deal, especially given the results of the past physical examinations. Assuming he and his family like it here to begin with, I think it's a huge win.

I didn't mean to imply Correa wouldn't rather have the deal he thought he was getting with either SF or NYM.

When those were pulled, he circled back and got more on an annual basis. That's a victory, in a specific aspect of the deal, especially given the results of the past physical examinations. Assuming he and his family like it here to begin with, I think it's a huge win.
Good post.

On MLB Network they said Twins smartly front loaded the contract to give him a much higher AAV than either the Giants or Mets deals, giving him/ his team a win and allowing them to feel better about where it all ended up. With high achievers, like Correra, it’s important to engage their ego as well.

The Twins front office deserves accolades for pulling thi off, as they kept in touch throughout the process, per John Heyman, and gave him a contract he literally couldn’t refuse.

Top Bottom