All Things 2022-2023 Minnesota Twins Off-Season Thread

looked up Hidalgo. right-hander out of Venezuela. listed at 6'1" 160 lbs.

Played 'A' ball in '22 as a 19-yr old.
0-3 record. 4.62 ERA. Started 10 games. 58K in 39 IP. looks like had some control issues - 4.4 BB per 9 innings.

and - according to a tweet: throws a low-90's fastball but is supposed to have a really good changeup, which is his strikeout pitch.

The M looks too much like Miami but I love the jerseys. Much better than the current ones. The grey ones are sweeeeet.
That's exactly what I thought, both about the M and the jerseys.

I did not originally like the M logo that was introduced in 1987, but it grew on me.

They keep Pagan and trade Urshella for a A ball prospect. The front office is a clown show. I hope they tank severely enough in 2023 for Falvey to be fired. Nothing good will happen until he's gone.

Last edited:

They keep Pagan and trade Urshella for a A ball prospect. The front office is a clown show. I hope they tank severely enough in 2023 for Falvey to be fired. Nothing good will happen until he's gone.
What if they re-sign Correa? Lewis would get the majority of innings at 3rd once he's healthy. No need for Urshella.

What if they re-sign Correa? Lewis would get the majority of innings at 3rd once he's healthy. No need for Urshella.
Then you're where you were this season. Or you trade Urshela at that point. There was no need to do it today. He's well worth what he will make in arbitration, there was no reason to rush to trade him. They should have tendered him.

Their plan better not be for Lewis to play significant time at 3rd cause no player for the twins has ever healed faster than they were supposed to. Anything they get from Lewis should be seen as a bonus not an expectation.

They can still trade Pagan.

I'd say that doesn't bode well for re-signing Correa.
Disagree. I don’t think it changes s as anything. Farmer is more of a backup utility type of guy. The Twins gave up a 25 year old Single-A pitcher for him.

If anything the moves help. They freed up another $3M or so and opened up a spot on the 40 man.

Disagree. I don’t think it changes s as anything. Farmer is more of a backup utility type of guy. The Twins gave up a 25 year old Single-A pitcher for him.

If anything the moves help. They freed up another $3M or so and opened up a spot on the 40 man.
I hope you're right. But the Twins don't usually have $6 million utility players. If so, that's fine. If he's the opening day SS, yuck.

the Farmer thing surprises me. at the Uniform event, Dave St. Peter said the Twins were definitely "in the mix" for Correa. Said the Twins had "a strong desire" to keep Correa in MN.

From the Strib:
Farmer, 32, has appeared in 292 games over the last two seasons with Cincinnati, including 212 starts at shortstop. He hit .255 in 2022 with 14 homers, 78 RBI and a .701 OPS.

OK numbers for a SS, but he played in that bandbox in Cincy, so subtract some of the power by moving to Target Field. The story noted that "he can also play 2nd or 3rd base."

color me confused.

p.s. - Reusse has an column in the Strib with his "reaction" to the new uniforms - and the Urshela trade. Sarcasm at its finest.

I hope you're right. But the Twins don't usually have $6 million utility players. If so, that's fine. If he's the opening day SS, yuck.
I think he's right but it's still yuck. I'd have preferred Urshela as our insurance/backup/utility - the difference in salary would have been worth it because Gio's a far superior player.

The prospect back for Gio isn't bad though.

the Farmer thing surprises me. at the Uniform event, Dave St. Peter said the Twins were definitely "in the mix" for Correa. Said the Twins had "a strong desire" to keep Correa in MN.

From the Strib:
Farmer, 32, has appeared in 292 games over the last two seasons with Cincinnati, including 212 starts at shortstop. He hit .255 in 2022 with 14 homers, 78 RBI and a .701 OPS.

OK numbers for a SS, but he played in that bandbox in Cincy, so subtract some of the power by moving to Target Field. The story noted that "he can also play 2nd or 3rd base."

color me confused.

Farmer may be insurance in case they don’t get Correa and they can always flip him, like they did with Ian last year

I hate it here. If they traded Urshela to save money and then don’t go after a bigger free agent that’s a disaster. Your infield can not be Arraez, Polonco, Farmer, and Miranda. That’ll be a bottom of the MLB defensive infield. Then throw in a bad left fielder and a question in center and it just looks like a bad team right now. Things can change, but I’m no holding my breath until they do in February or March.

I don’t get why everyone is so mad. If an average person like Adam Thielen can afford them, we should too.

Top Bottom