All Things 2021 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

I can't say I watched them live, but I can tell you that clip is straight from the Twins 1987 highlight video which I watched about 100 times as a kid.
I was able to experience both World Series Titles as a college student. Just starting and ending..

Sounds like Ryan - the SP the Twins acquired in a trade - will make his major league debut this week. he pitched very well in the Olympics and his last two starts at AAA were very strong, so he really has nothing left to prove in the minors.

Maeda isn't under the knife yet either. Second opinion could come back positive and he could be rolled out there too.
2nd opinion must have come back, because the Athletic is reporting the Tommy John surgery has been completed and Maeda is expected to be out 9-12 months.

Watched Joe Ryan make his MLB debut on Wednesday. had one bad inning, but otherwise looked decent. Not a real hard thrower - fast ball topping out at 93. mainly worked up in the zone with fast ball, and mixed in a few sliders and change-ups, but probably threw 70% fast balls. Kid's got some potential. will be interesting to see if he stays in the rotation the rest of the season.

(rather see Ryan as opposed to more starts for left-handed junk-ballers like Barnes)

Watched Joe Ryan make his MLB debut on Wednesday. had one bad inning, but otherwise looked decent. Not a real hard thrower - fast ball topping out at 93. mainly worked up in the zone with fast ball, and mixed in a few sliders and change-ups, but probably threw 70% fast balls. Kid's got some potential. will be interesting to see if he stays in the rotation the rest of the season.

(rather see Ryan as opposed to more starts for left-handed junk-ballers like Barnes)
Agreed. He seems to have a certain mojo too. Hopefully less prone to meltdown starts than some of the other prospects have been like Duffy when he was in the rotation and even Berrios at times.

At what point are we concerned about Buxton? He's like 2-34 since coming back and is striking out a lot. Are we back to 2018 version? Coming to a fair $ amount on a long term deal for him is almost impossible.

Alex Colome, for all his awfulness, may end up with 15+ saves and an ERA in the 3's.

Didn't he already do that on Sunday? Slow times for Shooter...
In Shooter's defense he wrote that for the Sunday paper in advance of Rocco's leave which happened later that day in the 8th inning, I believe.

Screwed Ober out of another Win by taking him out after 4 innings yesterday Ugh

Last edited:

Tell Bill Evers he can't retire. Transfer Rocco to team "doctor."

Don't even joke about that.
Seriously I think I would consider it...He had a dreadful May but ever since he's been fine. Our bullpen will be a complete shit show anyway.

Seriously I think I would consider it...He had a dreadful May but ever since he's been fine. Our bullpen will be a complete shit show anyway.
Actually the bullpens been quite good since the trade deadline. Bring back Minaya and Columb along with Rodgers, Thielbar, Duffy and Alcala. They need to add one more good RH co-closer but that should not be Colome. They have an option on him but it's for like $6-7 million. Hard pass.

Actually the bullpens been quite good since the trade deadline. Bring back Minaya and Columb along with Rodgers, Thielbar, Duffy and Alcala. They need to add one more good RH co-closer but that should not be Colome. They have an option on him but it's for like $6-7 million. Hard pass.
For that money I wouldn't either. I'd like to see more young arms, but if they did bring him back I wouldn't bang my head off a wall like I would have a few months ago.

Well, I think you can pencil Ryan and Ober in to the starting rotation for next year. If they can resign Pineda to a fair deal, that makes 3. I suspect that Griffin Jax will at least start next year in the rotation - but my gut tells me he may not finish the year in the rotation.

I do not want to see any more of Dobnak, Thorpe, Smeltzer or any of the other AAAA pitchers.

So, I would say the Twins need to go out and trade for or sign free agents to fill at least one and probably two spots in the rotation for next year. I don't expect them to throw out huge deals, but at least something a rung above Happ or Shoemaker.

Then, it all gets down to the players who were injured in the minors this year to see how they develop/stay healthy. I would not be surprised if Balazovic is in the rotation by mid-year.

Bill Evers is our Jack McKeon. If only we'd fired Rocco in May, we'd be the 2003 Marlins all over again...

Top Bottom