Look out White Sox! :cool:

2022 Rotation:

Syndergaard (5/$100 m)
Robbie Ray (3/$48)
Pineda (2/$20)
Ober
Ryan

Look out White Sox! :cool:
Maeda isn't under the knife yet either. Second opinion could come back positive and he could be rolled out there too.

Syndergaard hasn't pitched in 2 years so that's something and his stats are comparable to Berrios the last few years he did pitch. Still it would be a B+ signing.

Ray I'd do at that price...same with Pineda.

Big question mark now is Maeda. If he has to have Tommy John, then the rotation takes another hit.

For next year, as of today, I think Ryan and Ober are in there. Pineda if he agrees to a fair contract.
But none of the other prospects in the minors are ready to step in immediately, due to all of the injury issues this year. the other guy they got from Tampa - Strotman - is coming back from his own surgery and has struggled.

The issue is this - to land a quality starter, the Twins would have to pay out a fairly sizable contract, which they did not want to do with Berrios.

So - my gut tells me they will go out bargain-basement shopping again and bring in the 2022 equivalent of Happ and Shoemaker.

of course, this all assumes there is a 2022 season. from the Twins' point of view, a long work-stoppage over the new CBA might be the best thing for the Twins, because it puts off any personnel decisions and allows them time to evaluate how the prospects in the minors are recovering from their various injuries. if, let's say, the 2022 season doesn't start until June 1st, then maybe a Winder or Canterino might be a more viable option.

Big question mark now is Maeda. If he has to have Tommy John, then the rotation takes another hit.

For next year, as of today, I think Ryan and Ober are in there. Pineda if he agrees to a fair contract.
But none of the other prospects in the minors are ready to step in immediately, due to all of the injury issues this year. the other guy they got from Tampa - Strotman - is coming back from his own surgery and has struggled.

The issue is this - to land a quality starter, the Twins would have to pay out a fairly sizable contract, which they did not want to do with Berrios.

So - my gut tells me they will go out bargain-basement shopping again and bring in the 2022 equivalent of Happ and Shoemaker.

of course, this all assumes there is a 2022 season. from the Twins' point of view, a long work-stoppage over the new CBA might be the best thing for the Twins, because it puts off any personnel decisions and allows them time to evaluate how the prospects in the minors are recovering from their various injuries. if, let's say, the 2022 season doesn't start until June 1st, then maybe a Winder or Canterino might be a more viable option.
Other than they will lose buxton for free if there is a work stoppage.

Great post - I think next year is a mini-rebuild with the goal of 2023. AK, Larnach, Jeffers need another year of seasoning to be cornerstones which they'll be ready for in 2023.

I wonder what we end up doing with Arraez and Gordon as they in essence fill the same role. Do we trade one - Arraez is the much better offensive player of course. They like Arraez as a utility guy due to his knees and versatility and Polanco has 2nd locked down and Miranda/Donaldson at 3rd.

Thoughts?

Maybe Stroman then. Lower upside though, IMO.
Maybe - I like his competitive nature.

Funny thing is when all three arrived on the scene (Harvey, DeGrom and Synedgaard), Harvey was #1, Syngaard, #2 and DeGrom #3.

Harvey partied way too much and Synedgaard should have leaned out (he was a big guy and got bulkier).

I think they were willing on the $20 mil/yr part, but more like 5 yrs.
Was that a publicized offer cause I must have missed that? I also don’t blame Berrios everyone complained he wasn’t an ace and then he’s throwing his best game of his career in the playoff only for Rocco to yank him for no reason.

Good post. My thoughts too are that the Twins will start a few rookies in the rotation, maybe bring back Pineda, and then sign a few guys to 1 year contracts. 2022 isn't going to be their year. My guess is they will try to make a better push in 2023. Hopefully they have Lewis and/or Martin up by then to play with Kiriloff, a resigned Buxton, Polanco, Jeffers, Larnach, Miranda.

On top of Ryan and Ober they could have other youngsters up in Duran, Balazovic, Winder, and Canterino. Who knows, by that time maybe Woods-Richardson is also ready.

Good post. My thoughts too are that the Twins will start a few rookies in the rotation, maybe bring back Pineda, and then sign a few guys to 1 year contracts. 2022 isn't going to be their year. My guess is they will try to make a better push in 2023. Hopefully they have Lewis and/or Martin up by then to play with Kiriloff, a resigned Buxton, Polanco, Jeffers, Larnach, Miranda.

On top of Ryan and Ober they could have other youngsters up in Duran, Balazovic, Winder, and Canterino. Who knows, by that time maybe Woods-Richardson is also ready.
Don’t count out Jax. He has had many excellent outings in the recently. His last one was ruff, prior to that his August was stellar - see my posts earlier in this thread for his specific stats.

Was that a publicized offer cause I must have missed that? I also don’t blame Berrios everyone complained he wasn’t an ace and then he’s throwing his best game of his career in the playoff only for Rocco to yank him for no reason.
I just heard the number discussed on various shows, starting point around $17-$18 mil knowing they probably as far as $20mil, 4-5 years tops.

I just heard the number discussed on various shows, starting point around $17-$18 mil knowing they probably as far as $20mil, 4-5 years tops.
That’s a lot different than them actually making an offer. Not saying they didn’t, but unlike the Buxton situation I have never heard the twins actually giving Berrios a number with the last 18 months.
I can blame Berrios either you worked 6 long years to get to free agency, why would you not want to see what the market is for you.

Top Bottom