All Things 2021-2022 Minnesota Wild In-Season Thread

Hey, I'm 66 and I guess I've become more philosophical as I get older.

But, I really don't get that worked up over sports teams any more.

I am interested in the local teams, and I will watch their games when my schedule permits, but I don't live or die with the outcome.

I care more about Gopher Football and Hoops than I do about any of the pro teams.

for me, the bottom line is this: there are no guarantees.

Just because you root for the Vikes or the Wild, that does not mean that they "deserve" to win a Championship. To quote William Munny, deserve's got nothin' to do with it.

You do have a choice. It's not like, when you were born, the doctor slapped a label on your ass that said "Vikings Fan" or "Twins Fan."

Sports are - like the sticker on the pinball machine says - "For Amusement Value only."

I am interested in the local teams, and I will watch their games when my schedule permits, but I don't live or die with the outcome.

I care more about Gopher Football and Hoops than I do about any of the pro teams.

Just because you root for the Vikes or the Wild, that does not mean that they "deserve" to win a Championship. To quote William Munny, deserve's got nothin' to do with it.

You do have a choice. It's not like, when you were born, the doctor slapped a label on your ass that said "Vikings Fan" or "Twins Fan."

Sports are - like the sticker on the pinball machine says - "For Amusement Value only."
I guess it might be different if you've never even been alive for a championship. I wish we could all just drop teams and pick new ones, but we know that's just not how it works.

30 years is 1/3 of our natural lives, if we're lucky. I've just been DVR'ing more MN sports as time goes on.

The bright side: no more Vox in the box and less gorg chat and lapanta chat. You are welcome

Welcome to the club, Toronto.

Barreiro had Bill Guerin on yesterday afternoon and the interview was a great one. Guerin was quite animated (agititated) and pretty forthcoming with the topics Dan asked about.

I guess it might be different if you've never even been alive for a championship. I wish we could all just drop teams and pick new ones, but we know that's just not how it works.

30 years is 1/3 of our natural lives, if we're lucky. I've just been DVR'ing more MN sports as time goes on.
Even the Wild who have been around 2+ decades now, while I am a fan and root for them, the passion isn't at the level that I had for the North Stars who I grew up with before they left town in my early 20s.

In between the North Stars and Wild I lived in LA for a few years and grew attached to the Mighty Ducks through the 90s (while staying loyal to the other Minnesota teams). They were fun and played in a fantastic arena. Great talent for a few years led by Paul Kariya & Teemu Selanne. Gaborick was great, but until Kaprizov came to town, I have not been privileged to watch a talent like that every game since those Ducks.

Feels similar with the TWolves who didn't arrive on the scene until I was in college.

Speaking of the North Stars of my youth, a big reason was Al Shaver. All due respect to Herb Carneal and Ray Christensen, Al was the best. Mad respect for him switching to the Gophers and not following the Stars down to Dallas.

Still going strong. Pat Reusse checked in with him this week.

Last edited:

The Gophers have never threatened to move, just as franchises in all 4 Pro sports leagues have. A couple actually followed through.

Top Bottom