All Things 2021-2022 Minnesota Wild In-Season Thread

given the cap issues the Wild will face in coming years, it's unlikely that they could re-sign Fleury to a new deal after this season.

So, this is an "all-in" deal for this season to try and make a Stanley Cup run.

And that's fine. If it works, great. and if it doesn't work, at least they gave it a shot.

given the cap issues the Wild will face in coming years, it's unlikely that they could re-sign Fleury to a new deal after this season.

So, this is an "all-in" deal for this season to try and make a Stanley Cup run.

And that's fine. If it works, great. and if it doesn't work, at least they gave it a shot.
The NHL is all about making the play-offs and having a hot goalie, no? Doesn't matter much if you're the 1 seed or 8.

I would bet the farm on the Wild against VGK tonight; VGK still with about $25-30+ million sitting on injured reserve and apparently are so disappointed with backup goalie Laurent Broissot that they will again be starting Logan Thompson from the AHL's Henderson Silver Knights (Huzzah!!). Ouch.

Wild win 4-1

I would bet the farm on the Wild against VGK tonight; VGK still with about $25-30+ million sitting on injured reserve and apparently are so disappointed with backup goalie Laurent Broissot that they will again be starting Logan Thompson from the AHL's Henderson Silver Knights (Huzzah!!). Ouch.

Wild win 4-1
What's the puck line?

Wild win 4-1
Good grief, and another two skaters and a coach hit the COVID list for tonight also, might as well bring up ANOTHER two guys from the AHL team, one of them making his NHL debut. WTF....

3 OT wins in a row. Doesn’t get more stressful than that. The most recent win came against the top team in the NHL. Giving me hope again.

Wild start the road trip with a win in Carolina. 3-1 over the Hurricanes. Now onto Washington D.C. tomorrow night.

Kaprizov: G A (breaks MIN single season points record 39-46=85) This guy is unreal. can't be stop.

Krill is amazing. Our goaltending is 🔥🔥🔥

Gooo Wild!!

Couple of real sloppy plays against the sharks here to give up goals. Flurry letting in a really soft goal and then spurgeon making a rare misread and giving up a breakaway

Wild come back in the 3rd to tie and win in OT. Fiala had a great game! Wild clinch a playoff berth!

Wild come back in the 3rd to tie and win in OT. Fiala had a great game! Wild clinch a playoff berth!
I believe this is only the 3rd time that both the TWolves and Wild have qualified for the playoffs:

Krill Kaprizov made Wild history tonight. 1st Wild player ever with 100 points in a season.

Kirill Kaprizov is the first player in franchise history with a 100-point season.

Krill Kaprizov made Wild history tonight. 1st Wild player ever with 100 points in a season.

Kirill Kaprizov is the first player in franchise history with a 100-point season.
Amazing! I don't know how to describe it but Kapriozov just kind of sneaks up on you. Excellent vision and shot making ability make him a potent offensive threat.

Amazing! I don't know how to describe it but Kapriozov just kind of sneaks up on you. Excellent vision and shot making ability make him a potent offensive threat.
Both he and Boldy are incredibly innovative with superb vision. They can see and take advantage of passing lanes and scoring opportunities before they close better than most guys.

Wild is having a great season - no doubt.

It just stinks that their reward for a great season is to face St. Louis in the 1st round of the playoffs.

I don't like the NHL playoff format. There should be at least some reward for the regular season. Instead, the Wild may have the toughest first-round matchup in the league.

Of course, the answer to that is simple - beat St. Louis.

the question is whether the Wild can play their wide-open style in the playoffs, when things typically get tougher and the refs swallow their whistles.

Wild is having a great season - no doubt.

It just stinks that their reward for a great season is to face St. Louis in the 1st round of the playoffs.

I don't like the NHL playoff format. There should be at least some reward for the regular season. Instead, the Wild may have the toughest first-round matchup in the league.

Of course, the answer to that is simple - beat St. Louis.

the question is whether the Wild can play their wide-open style in the playoffs, when things typically get tougher and the refs swallow their whistles.
The Wild are the 3rd best team in the West playing the 4th best team in the West and they are the 2nd best team in the Central playing the 3rd best team in the Central. I don't know how that is exactly a tremendous hardship.

It's playoff hockey, they need to be able to beat a number of teams like St Louis if they want to advance anywhere at all in the postseason.

The Wild are the 3rd best team in the West playing the 4th best team in the West and they are the 2nd best team in the Central playing the 3rd best team in the Central. I don't know how that is exactly a tremendous hardship.

It's playoff hockey, they need to be able to beat a number of teams like St Louis if they want to advance anywhere at all in the postseason.

if you ranked the teams in the West 1-8, as you say, the Wild and St. Louis right now would be the 3rd and 4th seeds. If the playoffs were done on a Conference basis instead of a divisional basis, (as they do in the NBA) the Wild - as the #3 seed - would face the #6 seed in the 1st round.

that's all I'm saying. I want the best teams to have the best chance of advancing.

And I completely understand they will have to go through St. Louis at some point. Just would rather not have that take place in the 1st round.

Gotta love Balley Sports. Wild are giving up power play goals left and right in this Nashville game. Coming back from break here is a puff piece on Freddy Guedreau.

The Wild looked gassed at times tonight. And Nashville’s top line is super dangerous. Again, this team just has no quit. Ek is getting some well-deserved goals as he is a vey talented player and nice to see him net a few to reward his hard work all over the ice. The play he made on the winning goal was tremendous in about 4 different ways. We won a physical battle for the puck in the neutral zone, was aware of the amount of time left, kicked it from his skates to his own stick on zone entry, then one-timed that pass from his skates to a streaking defenseman in perfect stride who buries a gorgeous top shelf game-winner with 1.3 seconds left in OT.

Just a thrill to I watch this group. Fiala said post-game it feels like a family.

I saw some whacky stat the other day that said the Wild had scored like 18 goals this season at 6-on-5, considerably more than any other team in the league with the second team at like 11, and the rest in single digits.

That's a whole lot of, at a minimum, single points and in many cases 2 points they managed to salvage in games where they were essentially losing after 58+ minutes. I hope that doesn't come back to haunt them in the postseason. That's a boatload of games that could have gone the other way

The Wild have also gained an epic number of points after pulling the goalie. That inflates their point total quite a bit as it is generally seen as "luck" to be above league average. Wild- Blues will be a war. I think Colorado is beatable so this could be a year to go on a run.

As for NHL playoffs, I am ok with the structure but really wish the league would move to a 3 (regulation win)-2 (overtime/shootout win)-1 (overtime/ shootout loss) point system.

Top Bottom