All Things 2021-2022 Minnesota Timberwolves In-Season Thread

I know it doesn't matter during these trying times, but, our tv play by play guy has to go! He is the worst! Constantly makes mistakes and keeps the viewers uninformed. Yet, he never fails to remind us, almost every game, that he personally works out everyday. Thanks for that important fact. Maybe he should keep the viewer up to date on how many fouls our guys have or other facts that he doesn't seem able to keep straight. I try, but by halftime I have to mute the volume. Where is Kevin Harlen when we need him?

I know it doesn't matter during these trying times, but, our tv play by play guy has to go! He is the worst! Constantly makes mistakes and keeps the viewers uninformed. Yet, he never fails to remind us, almost every game, that he personally works out everyday. Thanks for that important fact. Maybe he should keep the viewer up to date on how many fouls our guys have or other facts that he doesn't seem able to keep straight. I try, but by halftime I have to mute the volume. Where is Kevin Harlen when we need him?
When I'm traveling I'll watch wolves games on league pass and I will occasionally listen to other announcing duos. We may have a perenially lousy team but we have great announcers. JimPete and Benz are excellent.

Agree to disagree. Our guy is totally unprepared and likes to talk about himself more than keeping track of what is going on with our team. They both talk about their stories while the game s going on and don't provide game time info. Plus, like I said, he is totally wrong about game facts and has to be corrected by Jim Pete several times a game. Latest example: Beginning of the second half of the last game, he stated that D'Lo had 6 assists when he had 9 assists and Pete had to correct him. Don't they get the first half stats at halftime??????? Yes. Maybe he was working out at halftime!

Howl Wolves!!

Damn. That makes it all 5 starters then. Though there's a chance that Edwards can get back.

Guessing that Monday's night's game against Boston won't bring a lot of "Great game!" posts on here. 🤔

Minnesota

PLAYERPOSITIONUPDATEDINJURYINJURY STATUS
D'Angelo RussellPGSat, Dec 25Covid-19Expected to be out until at least Dec 27
Taurean PrincePFFri, Dec 24Covid-19Game Time Decision
Anthony EdwardsSGFri, Dec 24Covid-19Game Time Decision
McKinley Wright IVPGThu, Dec 23Covid-19Expected to be out until at least Jan 3
Karl-Anthony TownsCThu, Dec 23Covid-19Expected to be out until at least Jan 3
Jarred VanderbiltPFMon, Dec 20Covid-19Expected to be out until at least Dec 31
Patrick BeverleyPGMon, Dec 20Covid-19Expected to be out until at least Dec 31
Josh OkogieSFSun, Dec 19Covid-19

Last edited:

Agree to disagree. Our guy is totally unprepared and likes to talk about himself more than keeping track of what is going on with our team. They both talk about their stories while the game s going on and don't provide game time info. Plus, like I said, he is totally wrong about game facts and has to be corrected by Jim Pete several times a game. Latest example: Beginning of the second half of the last game, he stated that D'Lo had 6 assists when he had 9 assists and Pete had to correct him. Don't they get the first half stats at halftime??????? Yes. Maybe he was working out at halftime!
So...you do your own stat tracking during games. Impressive. Did you scream at the TV when Benz got the number of assists wrong?

I have the NBA ticket. Benz and Peterson put most other broadcasting teams to shame.

That poster is out to lunch.

Surprised it was somebody I had heard of. He was in the NBA a long time. Just looked and he's only 31! Don't know if he's got anything left but they desperately need bodies.

So...you do your own stat tracking during games. Impressive. Did you scream at the TV when Benz got the number of assists wrong?
Didn't have to, as getting 9 assists in one half is a big deal. How about the game when he kept confusing Vanderbilt and McDaniels and Pete had to say something , or the game he stated that it was the first game those two were on the court together...... twenty games into the season. My son and I had been talking for weeks about how much we liked when those two were on the court together. He just seem out of it at times. I have the team pass, where I just get the T-wolves. The first week of having team pass I got a couple of games with the other teams announcers. The Miami announcers were way more informative about the T- wolves than our announcers. I just would like to know how many fouls our key guy have. I'll just keep turning down the volume, thanks

One more that really bothered me. Last week in Dallas at the Mavericks game, there was a poignant moment in the game. Kat was at the free throw line, after making the first free throw, it was obvious Kat was thanking and talking to his Mom, and telling her he missed and loved her. This whole episode went completely over the announcer's head. They never even mentioned it as they were talking over the incident the whole time......not a word! After the game the sideline reporter was interviewing Kat and he confirmed the moment I am talking about, it was a very important moment for Kat. Totally missed by our announcer, wonder how much he get's paid. That's it from me now, I'll just keep turning the volume down for now, thanks!

One more that really bothered me. Last week in Dallas at the Mavericks game, there was a poignant moment in the game. Kat was at the free throw line, after making the first free throw, it was obvious Kat was thanking and talking to his Mom, and telling her he missed and loved her. This whole episode went completely over the announcer's head. They never even mentioned it as they were talking over the incident the whole time......not a word! After the game the sideline reporter was interviewing Kat and he confirmed the moment I am talking about, it was a very important moment for Kat. Totally missed by our announcer, wonder how much he get's paid. That's it from me now, I'll just keep turning the volume down for now, thanks!
I watched the moment and I liked that neither JimPete nor Benz said anything. Sometimes it's better to let the picture tell the story.

Benz was reading a promotion from the wonderful regional sports network we may or may not be able to subscribe to during that moment!

Benz was reading a promotion from the wonderful regional sports network we may or may not be able to subscribe to during that moment!
You do know that Wolves fans know all about Towns and his mom. We've heard it multiple times. Anyone already watching the game knew this.

And Benz tells us every game that he works out. I'll have to listen more carefully.

Well, at least it's a start. The boldened part? Somebody should also tell Coach Finch that most of us knew that already. ;)

The Timberwolves got a couple reinforcements back onto the floor at Sunday’s practice as Patrick Beverley and Josh Okogie returned from health and safety protocols.

Beverley is currently Minnesota’s lone regular starter available for action as Anthony Edwards, Karl-Anthony Towns, D’Angelo Russell and Jarred Vanderbilt all remain in protocols ahead of the Wolves’ game Monday against Boston. Naz Reid went into protocols on Sunday.

Okogie and Beverley are listed as questionable to play Monday, but the team doesn’t really have a choice but to play two of its best defenders given the lack of available bodies.

“We get a couple guys who can help our defense at the point of attack, contain the ball. We got tough matchups coming in here (Monday). But the more of our guys we have the better,” Timberwolves coach Chris Finch said.
“If we learned one thing about ourselves (recently), we definitely learned we need our complete roster of players to be the team we know we can be.”..

Will they still charge full price for admission?

Boston

PLAYERPOSITIONUPDATEDINJURYINJURY STATUS
Josh RichardsonSGMon, Dec 27Covid-19Expected to be out until at least Dec 29
Jayson TatumSFMon, Dec 27Covid-19Expected to be out until at least Jan 5
Dennis SchroderPGMon, Dec 27Covid-19Expected to be out until at least Jan 2
Marcus SmartPGMon, Dec 27HandGame Time Decision
Bruno FernandoPFFri, Dec 24Covid-19Expected to be out until at least Dec 31
C.J. MilesSGFri, Dec 24Covid-19Expected to be out until at least Dec 31
Aaron NesmithSFFri, Dec 24Covid-19Expected to be out until at least Dec 31
Justin JacksonSFFri, Dec 24Covid-19Expected to be out until at least Dec 31
Enes KanterCThu, Dec 23Covid-19

I know a family where the dad bought his boys 2 tickets to this game as a Christmas gift. They love Ant.

Oh, joy!

What the heck is going on here. Minnesota with no starters playing tonight. All of our starters are out and we going to beat the Boston Celtics. Wow. I know Boston is having a down year. But what a win for the Wolves.

I know a family where the dad bought his boys 2 tickets to this game as a Christmas gift. They love Ant.

Oh, joy!

Glad he at least got to see a win!

The depleted Wolves beat the depleted Boston Celtics 108-103. :drink:

No Anthony Edwards, no Karl-Anthony Towns, no D’Angelo Russell, no Jarred Vanderbilt, no Patrick Beverley, although the latter was certainly a vocal force from the bench.

Minnesota didn’t have a single starter available for Monday’s home game against Boston. Instead, the Timberwolves trotted past and present members of the G-League Iowa Wolves, a veteran center who hadn’t played in a game in two and a half years and a scoring guard who had been waiting for this moment for the entirety of his young career.

And that was more than enough to win.

Minnesota’s patchwork roster took it to Boston, knocking off the Celtics 108-103...

Timberwolves’ fans didn’t get to see any of the faces they likely showed up to Target Center to witness Monday. The stars were not out. Boston (16-18) was even down its best player, Jayson Tatum, though the Celtics were still equipped with three starters. Young star wing Jaylen Brown was one of them, but Minnesota held him to 8 for 24 shooting.

If this was your lone pilgrimage to Minneapolis this season, you likely arrived to the arena disappointed. But you left happy.

An appreciative crowd delivered a standing ovation as the final buzzer sounded..

Yep, and the crowd was into it, because they knew we were up against it.

I'll be interested to hear his thoughts on the game.

One of my favorite wins of the last decade.

I was just reading a Celtics board, and their fans are just pissed. Calling it one of their worst losses ever. I'm loving it.

One of my favorite wins of the last decade.

I was just reading a Celtics board, and their fans are just pissed. Calling it one of their worst losses ever. I'm loving it.

Makes sense doesn't it? It was the first win for the Wolves over the Celtics in what? About 9 years?

2nd? Bet most Celtic fans had no idea who was or wasn't gonna be able to play tonight. Just that if somebody showed-up in a Celtic uniform, Boston would win.

Yep, pretty darn sweet.

Last edited:

Makes sense doesn't it? It was the first win for the Wolves over the Celtics in what? About 9 years?

2nd? Bet most Celtic fans had no idea who was or wan't gonna be able to play tonight. Just that if somebody showed-up in a Celtic uniform, Boston would win.

Yep, pretty darn sweet.
They were calling us a G league team, and not in a bad way. Many of them said they had no thought of losing this game tonight. On the other hand, I had no thoughts of the wolves winning.

They are all over their coach. They don't like him.

Wolves crowd chanted MVP MVP MVP to Jake Layman!!

What a fun win for the bench. Good for them.

Howl Wolves!!

Yep, still feels good today! Here's how they saw things in Boston:

Both teams were seriously shorthanded, but the Celtics all agree: Monday was ‘one of the worst losses of the year’

MINNEAPOLIS — The Celtics have rarely been in lockstep during this confounding season. But after their latest stumble, a 108-103 loss against a Timberwolves team led by a two-way contract player and a veteran who arrived in Minnesota just hours before tipoff, the Celtics at least found common ground in one area.

“I think that was probably one of the worst losses of the season, for sure,” forward Jaylen Brown said.

“One of the worst losses of the year,” coach Ime Udoka said.

“Right now,” Al Horford said, “this is who we are.”

The recent skid has frustrated the Celtics and their fan base, but prior to Monday there was at least a good explanation. Boston’s roster has been ravaged by COVID-19 protocols and injuries, leaving Udoka unsure where he could turn when things went sour.

They remained considerably shorthanded in this game, with Jayson Tatum, Marcus Smart, Dennis Schröder, and Josh Richardson all out. But Minnesota’s lineup was even more ravaged, with just one regular starter available and six of its top eight scorers sidelined.

The Timberwolves shoved their misfortune aside and received spirited efforts from players who never dreamed of getting chances such as this one. The Celtics coughed up an 11-point late-third-quarter lead and played the final 16 minutes as if the game did not count, even though the standings make it quite clear that it did.

“To come out and get carved up like we did tonight,” Udoka said, “was embarrassing.”..

Top Bottom