All Things 2021-2022 Minnesota Timberwolves In-Season Thread

10-14 from three

That will happen once every 25 games. 30 of his 38 was from three, which is nice, but he's going to keep jacking from three. I wish at least half of those points were from attacking the basket.

A trade of Ant would involve multiple players if there were one.
You are right, he needs to take it to the basket more. But he needs to learn how to draw fouls because hes been bad at finishing at rim

It was that kind of game at Ball Arena on Wednesday night as the T-Wolves routed the defenseless Nuggets, 124-107..

“We didn’t guard Anthony Edwards all night long,” Malone said. “And from the get-go, and all the way throughout, we didn’t play good defense. And (that was) too many turnovers against a team that thrives off that.”

Minnesota, which halted a 12-game losing steak to Denver, shot 23 for 48 from beyond the arc. Edwards finished with a game-high 38 points, shooting 14 of 21 from the field, including 10 of 14 on 3-pointers.

Edwards became the youngest player in NBA history to hit 10 threes in a game, eclipsing Kyrie Irving. His 10 three-pointers also set a Minnesota franchise record.

“They didn’t feel us,” Malone said. “Anthony Edwards had zero free-throw attempts. He just danced with the ball and made three after three, and we just refused to get into him. We kept guarding him like he was 0 for 14. I mean, 10 3s?

“But give them credit, they shot lights out. They were the more physical team and the more aggressive team.”

The Timberwolves — inspired by Steph Curry, the NBA’s new, all-time 3-point champion, perhaps? — simply went off in the first half. They took 29 3-pointers, draining 16 of them. Those 16 3s were the most in the first half in Minnesota franchise history, and the most by any team during a first half this season.

The Nuggets, who have prided themselves on their defense, trailed 75-61 after two quarters. The 75 points were the most Denver has given up in the first half this season, topping the 74 they surrendered at San Antonio in a 123-111 loss last Thursday..

Last edited:

You are right, he needs to take it to the basket more. But he needs to learn how to draw fouls because hes been bad at finishing at rim
When he got hot from three last night, his guy was coming out and he can go by the defender with ease. He kept dribbling and pulling up and in they would go.

That's just not going to work most nights.

10-14 from three

That will happen once every 25 games. 30 of his 38 was from three, which is nice, but he's going to keep jacking from three. I wish at least half of those points were from attacking the basket.

A trade of Ant would involve multiple players if there were one.
So....tell me again why the wolves would trade a player who has elite talent, who is charismatic as hell, who sells tickets, who appears to be happy here and who is under team control at a very low cost relative to economic value for another three and a half years? I'll hang up and listen.

When he got hot from three last night, his guy was coming out and he can go by the defender with ease. He kept dribbling and pulling up and in they would go.

That's just not going to work most nights.

If the 3's were falling for Edwards, and they were at a 71% clip, math says they made the right decision to have him keep shooting them.

As for heading to the basket overall? Tougher question. Seems to make sense. Problem is, even the local media, who never, ever want to talk about refs, have grudgingly admitted, that the imbalance in calls between the Wolves and who they play, is too damn big.

Until they start getting more of those foul calls, trying to force the issue is not a great idea.

As we've talked about for awhile now, without their big three on the court, because of injuries or fouls, they are a very bad team.

Last edited:

So....tell me again why the wolves would trade a player who has elite talent, who is charismatic as hell, who sells tickets, who appears to be happy here and who is under team control at a very low cost relative to economic value for another three and a half years? I'll hang up and listen.
What's the offer?

What's the offer?
You are the one talking about trading him. You can figure out a real world trade that makes sense that both teams would do, that would improve the wolves and where the dollars would line up.

If the 3's were falling for Edwards, and they were at a 71% clip, math says they made the right decision to have him keep shooting them.

As for heading to the basket overall? Tougher question. Seems to make sense. Problem is, even the local media, who never, ever want to talk about refs, have grudgingly admitted, that the imbalance in calls between the Wolves and who they play, is too damn big.

Until they start getting more of those foul calls, trying to force the issue is not a great idea.

As we've talked about for awhile now, without their big three on the court, because of injuries or fouls, they are a very bad team.
Good points. Another point to consider is does Ant want a nine year NBA career or a twelve year NBA career? Should he sacrifice probably $75-100M in career earnings to maximize physical contact. Every really smart and talented NBA perimeter player makes that business decision.

We might want Ant to go to the hoop 80% of the time, but he's not that stupid. It looks like he's smart enough to turn himself into a consistent three point shooter so that he can be selective about going to the hoop, preserve his body, help the team more and add two or three generations of wealth to his lineage. All good.

You are the one talking about trading him. You can figure out a real world trade that makes sense that both teams would do, that would improve the wolves and where the dollars would line up.
I said I'd have them all on the table including Ant. Is there something wrong with that? It would take a massive haul for Ant.

Good to see you back. They must have won a couple of games. Couldn't find you with a search light for a while there.

Last edited:

I said I'd have them all on the table including Ant. Is there something wrong with that? It would take a massive haul for Ant.

Good to see you back. They must have won a couple of games. Couldn't find you with a search light for a while there.
I've been in meetings with ARod and Lore scouring the country looking for the next wolves POBO. We need a brilliant strategist. An original, creative thinker. I think we've found our man.

I've been in meetings with ARod and Lore scouring the country looking for the next wolves POBO. We need a brilliant strategist. An original, creative thinker. I think we've found our man.
You do need a brilliant strategist.

On the previous page a poster asked this: What type of game hasn't been one they usually lose?

Someone answered: Summer League

That was three whole days ago. Did you see who posted that? I hope your meeting with Arod and Lore wasn't within the last three days. Throw my name in the hat at your next meeting with them. I'm interested. kg21 might get their attention. LMAO

Last edited:

You do need a brilliant strategist.

On the previous page a poster asked this: What type of game hasn't been one they usually lose?

Someone answered: Summer League

That was three whole days ago. Did you see who posted that? I hope your meeting with Arod and Lore wasn't within the last three days. Throw my name in the hat at your next meeting with them. I'm interested. kg21 might get their attention. LMAO
A. Unfortunately, it's true. They are a successful summer league franchise.
B. A poster who often disagrees with me recognized the intended irony and humor of the post.
C. Unfortunately, you didn't get it.

Go back to working on your Ant trades.

A. Unfortunately, it's true. They are a successful summer league franchise.
B. A poster who often disagrees with me recognized the intended irony and humor of the post.
C. Unfortunately, you didn't get it.

Go back to working on your Ant trades.
Speaking of don't get it. I didn't say I'd trade Ant. I said I'd even have him on the table. I'd have all of them on the table. We are 13-15 you know.

And I did laugh at your summer league comment when I first read it.

Put my name in to Arod..........it's kg21

Last edited:

Thanks for that. The Athletic did a similar story this week, focused mainly on Towns and Edwards.

Yep. Their starting five is good and has played well together. Lose even one of the Big Three and it's usually trouble.

Last edited:

Speaking of don't get it. I didn't say I'd trade Ant. I said I'd even have him on the table. I'd have all of them on the table. We are 13-15 you know.

And I did laugh at your summer league comment when I first read it.

Put my name in to Arod..........it's kg21
You said you would have Ant "on the table." That means you want to trade him.

You said you would have Ant "on the table." That means you want to trade him.
No it doesn't. I'd see what the offers are and then I might. Same thing with Towns. I'd have every single one on the table.

Speaking of Ant..........out due to covid concerns tonight. Probably going to miss the next game also.

No it doesn't. I'd see what the offers are and then I might. Same thing with Towns. I'd have every single one on the table.

Speaking of Ant..........out due to covid concerns tonight. Probably going to miss the next game also.

Here is today's Injury report. Wouldn't be surprised if either James or Davis, or both, play tonight.

Game is scheduled for a 9:05 tipoff at Target Center. It's on ESPN.

Minnesota

PLAYERPOSITIONUPDATEDINJURYINJURY STATUS
Taurean PrincePFFri, Dec 17Covid-19Expected to be out until at least Dec 27
Anthony EdwardsSGFri, Dec 17Covid-19Expected to be out until at least Dec 19

L.A. Lakers

PLAYERPOSITIONUPDATEDINJURYINJURY STATUS
LeBron JamesSFThu, Dec 16AbdomenGame Time Decision
Avery BradleyPGThu, Dec 16Covid-19Expected to be out until at least Dec 28
Russell WestbrookPGThu, Dec 16Covid-19Expected to be out until at least Dec 25
Anthony DavisPFThu, Dec 16KneeGame Time Decision
Dwight HowardCThu, Dec 16Covid-19Expected to be out until at least Dec 19
Trevor ArizaSFWed, Dec 15AnkleExpected to be out until at least Jan 2
Talen Horton-TuckerSFTue, Dec 14Covid-19Expected to be out until at least Dec 24
Kendrick NunnSGMon, Dec 6KneeExpected to be out until at least Jan 2

Thanks for that. The Athletic did a similar story this week.

Yep. Their starting five is good and has played well together. Lose even one of the Big Three and it's usually trouble.
I was surprised how negative that article was. Numbers show they are a great starting 5.....maybe the bench needs to improve?

I was surprised how negative that article was. Numbers show they are a great starting 5.....maybe the bench needs to improve?

The negative part, to me at least, were things I agreed with. Been critical of the bench for 3-4 seasons now.

- The Big Three is very solid, but if one is out they usually lose.

- The other players have limited skills.

- The rest of the team has holes in it.

- Until they get the roster beefed-up it will be tough for them to win consistently.

Though this "won’t erase the need for the Wolves to find a completely new formula again and again as they go"was a huge reach IMO. Sounded like the writer was trying to end up with a big pointed summary.

One that he didn't earn in the rest of the article.

Last edited:

Here's a clip from Jon K.'s article in The Athletic:

D’Angelo Russell has been so key to the Wolves’ success this season, but the foundation all starts with Towns and Edwards, the two most physically gifted players on the team. Their skill sets mesh so well, with Towns’ ability to shoot from the perimeter opening driving lanes for Edwards to attack the rim. Their personalities mesh, too. Towns has always been a player who prefers to control a game not with volume shooting, but by using his gravity to make things easier for teammates playing off of him. Consistency has always been his calling card. Edwards likes to go for the jugular and has never met a heat check that was too hot, but so far has been prone peaks and valleys, which is common with young players.

They are steadily learning how to get the best out of each other and how to convey what they see on the court so that the other one can make adjustments as the games progress.

“This is just my second year, so I’m not there all the way,” Edwards said. “But the big picture, if coach find a way to just tell me and KAT, ‘Hey, this is what y’all do, do this.’ He told me just pass and chase with KAT, and after that I feel like it’s just been going up since then.”

The Wolves picked up road victories this week in two arenas that have not been kind to them over the years. They won in Portland on Sunday for the first time in nine tries, with Towns and Edwards combining for 47 points. It is the second time this season the Wolves have pulled themselves out of an extended skid, having lost five games in a row prior to beating the Trail Blazers...

“You feel like you can do so much by yourself. I’m willing to do whatever the workload is. But I’ve come to find out you can’t do it by yourself,” Towns told The Athletic last week on the final day of his winter coat drive. “You need teammates. You can put all the stats you want up, but the math wasn’t mathing, as my girl likes to say. It wasn’t materializing to wins.”

In some ways, it has been a conversation with Towns for the last seven years. He is by far the Timberwolves’ most efficient player and one of the best pure shooters — not just one of the best-shooting big men — in the entire league. On a team that has been underperforming with respect to career shooting percentages almost across the board, Towns is shooting a career best 42.3 percent from 3-point range. But he has never been a volume shooter, routinely ranking second or third in shot attempts on his own team. How he balances looking for his own shot while getting others in a rhythm is a major key for the Wolves offense.

“He’s an unbelievably gifted offensive player,” coach Chris Finch said. “He can score at every range on the floor. He has incredible footwork. One of the best shooters in the league, not just a big. Really good passer. He’s just a joy to have. He’s a luxury to have offensively.”..

“I can’t come out here and play this way and then come out and lay a goose egg, know what I’m saying?” Edwards said. “I can’t do that to my teammates. Because now they expect me to perform a certain way every night. … Some nights I’m very average. So from here on out, like Finchy say, I’m trying to stack my performances and keep it going.”

That’s Finch, that is assistant Pablo Prigioni, that is Towns and Russell and Beverley in Ant’s ear, pushing him, prodding him to get better. Just like it was Ant in KAT’s ear during halftime of the Utah game, telling the big man to get moving before that double team arrives, to dominate like Edwards knows he can.

That’s the key to this whole thing. Russell’s all-around has been incredibly important. Beverley’s leadership has been instrumental. Jarred Vanderbilt’s hustle and Jaden McDaniels’ defense have been huge. But this whole Timberwolves structure is built on Towns and Edwards, two incredibly talented players who are using the chemistry that is building between them to push this team into relevance..

the bench here sucks. I cringe every single time they are in.

At the beginning most including myself thought it would be a strength.

There are times they literally can't score. It can be brutal.

Nice blowout of the Lakers. Did it on national TV, too.

Damn, Lebron and Westbrook look slow and old. Hopefully, Anthony Davis didn't tear something in his knee. Nice shove of McDaniels by Lebron to wreck his knee. That was beyond stupid.

Now Dallas with no Luka. Should be able to get back to .500

With one of the Big 3 out, Wolves dominate Lakers! KAT was the best player on the court. Really nice win.

Howl Wolves!!

With one of the Big 3 out, Wolves dominate Lakers! KAT was the best player on the court. Really nice win.

Howl Wolves!!
I caught the second half. Even before AD went out it looked like the Lakers knew it wasn't their night. I wonder if LeBron will go title hunting on another team next year, because it's not happening with the Lakers. Too old and the top players aren't going to want to come play with him anymore.

I think LeBron threw that ball at Vando's head on purpose. Vando pissed the Lakers off all night with his hustle plays. In the fourth they body blocked and undercut him in front of the ref when he went for the ball. Should have been a flagrant. No foul called at all, of course.

Hope AD is ok. That looked nasty.

Howl Wolves!!

No kidding! Who knew that the Missing Persons Search for Micheal Beasley would finally be successful!

Wolves 110 Lakers 92

The Lakers were out hustled and out rebounded (by 25!!) by the Wolves last night. Lakers did have some players who couldn't play. They did though, have LeBron, Westbrook and Davis, the later for about half the game.

And they came in on a 3 game winning streak and had won 4 out of 5.

The Wolves were without Edwards, their 3rd highest scorer and their most dynamic player. The LA Times story on the game did mention it too.

21 paragraphs in. :drink:

MINNEAPOLIS —
They had already air-balled a free throw, turned the ball over five times and missed all nine of their three-point shots when a bad night in Minnesota got even worse.

Anthony Davis, the Lakers’ star big man, fell to the court and immediately grabbed his right ankle, his foot unnaturally turning outward as he stumbled to the court. On a day when they added two more players to the NBA’s COVID-19 protocols including Austin Reaves, the stripped-down Lakers couldn’t afford to lose another player.

Davis ran back onto the court, only to once again limp off of it, this time clutching at his left knee after an awkward collision with Minnesota’s Jaden McDaniels. Davis fell to the floor in the tunnel to the Lakers’ locker room.

The attrition seemed to catch up with the Lakers, their modest three-game winning streak quickly collapsing after a clunker of a performance marred by another injury in a 110-92 loss to the Timberwolves.

Last edited:

Much better game story in the Pioneer Press? Why? Because it's a homer story?

Nah, because they give you the score in the opening paragraph.😊

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Karl-Anthony Towns had 28 points and 10 rebounds, and the Minnesota Timberwolves blew out the depleted Los Angeles Lakers for a second time this season, 110-92 on Friday night.

In coach Chris Finch’s view, Towns has doubled down lately on a quest to establish himself as the best big man in the league.

“Just getting whatever he wants, wherever he wants,” Finch said.

Towns was coming off a 32-point performance at Denver on Wednesday night, besting Nikola Jokic.

“I’m going to let people make their assumptions and make their judgment. I just know that every day when I come here I play the game with a tremendous amount of confidence,” Towns said.

Malik Beasley and D’Angelo Russell each had 17 points and Jarred Vanderbilt grabbed a career-high 16 rebounds to help the Wolves win their third straight game. They played for the first time without star Anthony Edwards, who was placed in the NBA’s health and safety protocols in the afternoon.

“I wanted to set the standard. I wanted to try to impose myself into the game real quick, understanding Ant’s not here,” Towns said..

I caught the second half. Even before AD went out it looked like the Lakers knew it wasn't their night. I wonder if LeBron will go title hunting on another team next year, because it's not happening with the Lakers. Too old and the top players aren't going to want to come play with him anymore.

I think LeBron threw that ball at Vando's head on purpose. Vando pissed the Lakers off all night with his hustle plays. In the fourth they body blocked and undercut him in front of the ref when he went for the ball. Should have been a flagrant. No foul called at all, of course.

Hope AD is ok. That looked nasty.
Lebron has the rings, he is now in all time scoring mode. Stuff like that.

I think he stays. You are going to see stupid shit from him, because he's going to go downhill fast. The fact he's 37 and putting up the numbers he still does is a testament to his greatness. The frustration is there now of not being able to do what he used to do.

Where you don't notice it now is Lebron can't guard anyone. He used to be 1st team all defense. People can walk right by him now.

Last edited:

No kidding! Who knew that the Missing Persons Search for Micheal Beasley would finally be successful!
Beasley had 17, but was 3-13 from three last night with wide open looks. He got a dunk on an awesome feed and got a freebie on the ball that Lebron bounced off of Vanderbilt's head for a gimme.

I thought he was basically still missing shots last night. It took him 18 shots to get 17. I think he was something like 0-5 from three to start and they were damn good looks. HIs form is awesome, and he has been a damn good 3 point shooter in the past. It's just weird. If they ever start going down, that would help with the bench immensely.

Based on what I saw last night......continue the Missing Persons Search.

Last edited:

Top Bottom