All Things 2021-2022 Minnesota Timberwolves In-Season Thread

I mean, a 5th-rate city like Milwaukee, can have an awesome NBA team ...

I mean, a 5th-rate city like Milwaukee, can have an awesome NBA team ...

Yep, that's the thing about the NBA. One player, like Abdul-Jabbar or Giannis did that for the Bucks. So have three stars on a single team.

Wolves gotta hope they can get there the second way.

Who knows. History says no. Who knows what can happen if they can stay healthy. History is against that too.

Whether we care or not makes no difference on the W/L record. Just gonna enjoy the wins when they get them.
I think they are going to have problems. They gave up 24 flipping offensive rebounds last night. Hell, that's a monster number.

Also, they have starters who literally don't score.

They are better, but still have miles to go.

I think they are going to have problems. They gave up 24 flipping offensive rebounds last night. Hell, that's a monster number.

Also, they have starters who literally don't score.

They are better, but still have miles to go.

The only surprise would be if they didn't have problems.

Sounds like the Wolves are at least making some kind of an effort to play defense, which is an improvement over recent seasons.

And Finch is playing 11 guys a game - using the whole bench.

Like Robson said (heard him on KFAN Sunday morning with Dave Sinykin) they are one of the smaller teams in the league, so rebounding is going to be an issue. I know Finch has said they need Ant to be a better rebounder.

But, at least they should be more entertaining to watch.

For Iceland and Jam's sake I hope this is the year. I am rooting for y'all's sanity.

My apologies. The empathy wagon is big enough for one more. I mention it as my rockets look like a dumpster fire after years of hope.

For Iceland and Jam's sake I hope this is the year. I am rooting for y'all's sanity.

Zero worries about that on my part. Have dealt with a few very tough personal and family issues the last the few years. If a team I follow wins or does well? Great. Adds some to the day.

If they lose or do badly? Unless I'm sitting at Huntington Bank or a sports book in Nevada has zero effect an hour or so after it's done.

Gotta clarify the later. Haven't bet on any Minnesota team in 8-10 years. Though have won a few over/unders on them. :giggle:

Holy shit!

I just watched the first half against a crap New Orleans team.

Edwards has 0 baskets, is not going to the basket.

Dlo has 1 basket and is turning the ball over. Zero defense as usual. I just can't believe we are paying him max money.

Jaden McDaniels is totally invisible again.

Just an absolute puke first half.

Cant throw it in the ocean. Shooting 25%, and no fast break points.

It's the pelicans and they could come back and win, but this will not work against any good team.

Last edited:

I do love the wolves but 15 seconds after each loss I'm over it. Same for all of the other teams. Twenty years ago it would have taken me two or three days to get over a tough loss. Even Blair Walsh's wide left only took about ten minutes.

I'm much more worried about Lore and ARod carting the franchise out of town. All of the nice public statements and cute social media posts are smokescreens. These guys are going to put the franchise where it can make the most money. Taylor is obviously complicit in the process. My guess is that if they actually come up with the money to buy the team, the city or state will have a 12-24 month window to agree to fund a new arena or the wolves are gone.

Last edited:

Jayden McDaniels, 33 minutes........3 points, 2 rebounds

Invisisble!

Please go out and get a power forward off the scrap heap.

Holy shit!

I just watched the first half against a crap New Orleans team.

Edwards has 0 baskets, is not going to the basket.

Dlo has 1 basket and is turning the ball over. Zero defense as usual. I just can't believe we are paying him max money.

Jaden McDaniels is totally invisible again.

Just an absolute puke first half.

Cant throw it in the ocean. Shooting 25%, and no fast break points.

It's the pelicans and they could come back and win, but this will not work against any good team.
Relax. It's a long season. At the rate you are going you will stroke out by Thanksgiving.

My apologies. The empathy wagon is big enough for one more. I mention it as my rockets look like a dumpster fire after years of hope.
Actually, I like your Rockets. They obviously aren't going anywhere this year but they have some young, talented, bouncy players. I was very impressed by them the other night. Very cool team. Two years away from a sixth seed.

Actually, I like your Rockets. They obviously aren't going anywhere this year but they have some young, talented, bouncy players. I was very impressed by them the other night. Very cool team. Two years away from a sixth seed.
Your optimism is what I needed. I like the ball moves more.

I'll bet that if it is possible to do a quantitative analysis the finding would be that KAT's behavior towards the refs costs the wolves 3-5 points a game. Between the physical beating he takes that the refs ignore and the baby soft fouls that are called against him, it has to add up to a handful of points every game going the wrong way. And it's all because he's out there screaming like an opera singer all of the time. Refereeing is an imperfect, human process and KAT appears to have nothing but bad relationships with the folks who hold a lot of power. None of his coaches have been able to get through to him on this.

It impacts his defense because he doesn't get back. It impacts his health because he takes a beating. It will impact the team this year because those points every game may be the difference between the playoffs or an April exit.

DLo is still and will forever be trash
It was a perfectly even trade for Wiggins EXCEPT Rosas gave up the two picks. Beyond stupid.
Like Wiggins, DLo delivers big about every fifth game and the media fawns over him for a couple of games.
This year, more than in the past, it's apparent that the NBA game is played at a faster pace than DLo plays. His persona is that he's a "crafty" player. I don't see it. He's supposed to run the P'n R really well with KAT but JMac does it better. He has a nice jump shot but there are about five guys just on NO who have a better one.

He's just not that good....except every fifth game or so.

My guess is that if they actually come up with the money to buy the team, the city or state will have a 12-24 month window to agree to fund a new arena or the wolves are gone.
On April 3, 2015, the Minneapolis City Council gave the final approval for renovation plans for Target Center. The total cost was $140 million, which upgraded the exterior, seats, technology and loading bays, among other areas. The city contributed $74 million. Glen Taylor, owner of the Timberwolves and Lynx, paid a total of $60 million; AEG contributed $5.9 million. As a result, the Timberwolves' lease will run until 2035.[14] The renovated building reopened in October 2017.

Zero point zero zero zero chance that any new major arena is built in this state, any time soon. We already have one too many.

Shoot under 30% for half the game? Generally you lose. Edwards had another idea. Maybe they should play like they did in the exhibition season. Having all 5 players involved in the Offense, not just three.

As Anthony Edwards once again turned Target Center into his own personal playground on Monday night, the energy coursing through the crowd made it felt like Edwards was singularly going to bring the Timberwolves back from a 21-point second-half deficit.

With each transition bucket and three-pointer Edwards hit, that belief grew stronger. But it seemed only Edwards held the key to the lid that was on the basket most of the night, and the Wolves made sure that lid was secured by laying brick upon brick on top of it in a 107-98 loss to New Orleans. This marked the second consecutive poor showing by the offense, which shot 34%. That left Edwards ticked.
After the game, Edwards (28 points) had some of his most pointed comments in a postgame media session since joining the Wolves. In particular, Edwards, who was the last person to speak postgame, said he, Karl-Anthony Towns and D'Angelo Russell had to do a better job of sharing the ball with their teammates.

"We think we the only ones on the team," Edwards said. "We got to be willing to pass the ball. There's no 'I' in team. We can't beat five people with three people. We beat five people with five people. We got to be willing to play with our teammates. Trust our teammates and ... share the ball."

On April 3, 2015, the Minneapolis City Council gave the final approval for renovation plans for Target Center. The total cost was $140 million, which upgraded the exterior, seats, technology and loading bays, among other areas. The city contributed $74 million. Glen Taylor, owner of the Timberwolves and Lynx, paid a total of $60 million; AEG contributed $5.9 million. As a result, the Timberwolves' lease will run until 2035.[14] The renovated building reopened in October 2017.

Zero point zero zero zero chance that any new major arena is built in this state, any time soon. We already have one too many.
When the Wolves leave or move to Xcel, can we take a wrecking ball to Target Center? I imagine a developer would make good use of the land.

"After they move to Seattle"or move to Xcel, can we take a wrecking ball to Target Center? I imagine a developer would make good use of the land.

There, put you back on brand.;)

Last edited:

It was a perfectly even trade for Wiggins EXCEPT Rosas gave up the two picks. Beyond stupid.
Like Wiggins, DLo delivers big about every fifth game and the media fawns over him for a couple of games.
This year, more than in the past, it's apparent that the NBA game is played at a faster pace than DLo plays. His persona is that he's a "crafty" player. I don't see it. He's supposed to run the P'n R really well with KAT but JMac does it better. He has a nice jump shot but there are about five guys just on NO who have a better one.

He's just not that good....except every fifth game or so.
I'd rather have Wigs at this point. You're right, if it was just a one for one trade, its a wash due to their inconsistency. But Rosas thought it'd be a good idea to throw a top pick in their because the dimwit thought he was getting a star.

But I rail on this all of the time because most Wolves fans think they won the trade, and its just not true. GSW is one of the best run franchises, and they don't give up good players. So them trading DLo for a player with the same contract should have raised way more eye brows.

I watch a lot of Warriors games because they are on when I put my kids to sleep. Wigs plays within the team, is shooting well from deep (like last year), and most importantly, Kerr puts Wigs on the other teams best perimeter scorer every game. He had to guard Fox for the Kings last time i watched. Game before that Paul George, game before that LeBron.

I'd rather have Wigs at this point. You're right, if it was just a one for one trade, its a wash due to their inconsistency. But Rosas thought it'd be a good idea to throw a top pick in their because the dimwit thought he was getting a star.

But I rail on this all of the time because most Wolves fans think they won the trade, and its just not true. GSW is one of the best run franchises, and they don't give up good players. So them trading DLo for a player with the same contract should have raised way more eye brows.

I watch a lot of Warriors games because they are on when I put my kids to sleep. Wigs plays within the team, is shooting well from deep (like last year), and most importantly, Kerr puts Wigs on the other teams best perimeter scorer every game. He had to guard Fox for the Kings last time i watched. Game before that Paul George, game before that LeBron.

Agreed. Wiggins is and was, a good 3-4 guy on a good team. Taylor and Thibs though, paid him like he was a constant All-Star. They way overpaid a guy, who then just kept playing the way he had been. Pissing everybody off.

Would suggest that it was only the hardcore Wiggins haters who welcomed the trade. Can't imagine anyone who followed and liked the NBA did. Russell had 3 average years as a Laker, an average year and a very good year at Brooklyn and a good 33 games with Golden State.

None of that screamed top NBA talent. Certainly not "throw in picks" with Wiggins in a trade.

Rosas wanted a complimentary guard for Towns. Towns knew and liked Russell. Minnesota NBA "sorta" fans & Taylor who was burned by Wiggins, wanted Wiggins gone no matter what. Gotta hope that the team starts following Edwards. Who appears to have been a good choice. He's got the right idea about what should happen on the court too.

Last edited:

Agreed. Wiggins is and was, a good 3-4 guy on a good team. Taylor and Thibs though, paid him like he was a constant All-Star. They way overpaid a guy, who then just kept playing the way he had been. Pissing everybody off.

Would suggest that it was only the hardcore Wiggins haters who welcomed the trade. Can't imagine anyone who followed and liked the NBA did. Russell had 3 average years as a Laker, an average year and a very good year at Brooklyn and a good 33 games with Golden State.

None of that screamed top NBA talent. Certainly not "throw in picks" with Wiggins in a trade.

Rosas wanted a complimentary Guard for Towns. Towns knew and liked Russell. Minnesota NBA "sorta" fans & Taylor who was burned by Wiggins, wanted Wiggins gone no matter what. Gotta hope that the team starts following Edwards. Who appears to have been a good choice. He's got the right idea about what should happen on the court too.
Good post. Totally agree

Now the one positive for the trade in the Wolves favor, and this is just speculation, but if Wolves don't make that trade, so Wolves draft LaMelo instead????

I don't dislike LaMelo, but Edwards has a significantly higher ceiling, and Wolves need that type of hope. So they keep Wiggins, and Edwards doesn't come to the Wolves???? If thats the case, then the DLO trade was great!!!

I put it closer to 50/50. First of all, the team isn't going anywhere for 3-5 years and a lot can and will happen. If Lore decides to try for an arena here then a lot will depend on how much money he puts into lobbying the legislature. (The Wilfs spent a ton.) ARod will have to keep his mouth shut because nobody trusts him. The other markets available might be Tampa, Jacksonville, Pittsburgh or Nashville. (Vegas and Seattle will be expansion markets for the league at $2B each.). Three of the four have newer hockey arenas and I don't know if that means the city would build Lore a new building. I read somewhere recently that US Bank Stadium will be paid off early. Maybe the funding mechanism is to keep that tax open.

Finally, and most importantly, if the team is winning there will be a lot of public support for a new building.

I'd rather have Wigs too, but not by much. I don't watch the Warriors like you do, but I'll catch ten minutes here or there. He looks like the same dude floating around out there on the perimeter, occasionally doing that spin move in the lane that everybody knows is coming. Except for the year Jimmy was here, Wigs used to guard LeBron, Paul George et.al. when he was with the wolves. Somebody has to guard those guys.
At least Wigs doesn't do that "calm down" thing with his off hand that DLo does while he's dribbling--right before the ball gets stripped from him.

I put it closer to 50/50. First of all, the team isn't going anywhere for 3-5 years and a lot can and will happen. If Lore decides to try for an arena here then a lot will depend on how much money he puts into lobbying the legislature. (The Wilfs spent a ton.) ARod will have to keep his mouth shut because nobody trusts him. The other markets available might be Tampa, Jacksonville, Pittsburgh or Nashville. (Vegas and Seattle will be expansion markets for the league at $2B each.). Three of the four have newer hockey arenas and I don't know if that means the city would build Lore a new building. I read somewhere recently that US Bank Stadium will be paid off early. Maybe the funding mechanism is to keep that tax open.

Finally, and most importantly, if the team is winning there will be a lot of public support for a new building.
There's nothing wrong with the Target Center, other than being not new. And if they're winning, then they're winning with the Target Center.

The practice facility is much more important, and as far as I know is top-notch and only a few years old.

Nothing you said is incorrect or impossible.

Another market, maybe, is Cincinnati. They have a really old arena downtown and if they could land an NBA or NHL franchise, maybe they could use that to build a new one. https://heritagebankcenter.com/whatsnextcincy

Top Bottom