All Things 2021-2022 Minnesota Timberwolves In-Season Thread

Outscored the Clippers by 11 in the 4th Quarter to win 109-104.

NOW they're in the damn playoffs! :drink:

With about 10 minutes to go down here in southern Minnesota, we get the big rain storm.

I have directv and can't watch the rest of the dam game. I'm trying to find it on the radio and can't.

Way to go Wolves, but damnit!

With about 10 minutes to go down here in southern Minnesota, we get the big rain storm.

I have directv and can't watch the rest of the dam game. I'm trying to find it on the radio and can't.

Way to go Wolves, but damnit!

Just think how good this team would be if we had listened to you and traded ANT mid-season.

Howl Wolves!!

Absolutely amazing 4th quarter!!!

The ANT/DLO combo was incredible and Pat F'n Beverly!!! He will go down as one of the most important free agent signings in Wolves history. Absolutely love what he brings to this franchise and how amazing for him to do this against the Clippers, absolutely picking the pocket twice down the stretch.

Wow what a game.

Howl Wolves!!

The ANT/DLO combo was incredible and Pat F'n Beverly!!! He will go down as one of the most important free agent signings in Wolves history. Absolutely love what he brings to this franchise and how amazing for him to do this against the Clippers, absolutely picking the pocket twice down the stretch.

Wow what a game.

Howl Wolves!!
Beverly loving beating his former team!

Wow what a game.

Howl Wolves!!

Tikited had been working on the Wolves to bring Beverly in here for 2-3 years now.

Yeah, he was right. :party:

MINNEAPOLIS -- — Anthony Edwards and D'Angelo Russell combined for 59 points to help the Minnesota Timberwolves overcome a rough night for Karl-Anthony Towns and beat the Los Angeles Clippers 109-104 in a play-in game on Tuesday night.

Edwards scored 30 points with five 3-pointers and Russell had 29 points and six assists to send the Wolves to the No. 7 seed in the Western Conference and a first-round matchup with Memphis.

Paul George finished with 34 points after shooting 2 for 10 in the first half for the Clippers, who have a second chance to make the playoffs with a home game on Friday for the No. 8 seed against either New Orleans or San Antonio. Reggie Jackson (17 points) and Norman Powell (16 points) did their part in stretches, but the Clippers failed to put the Timberwolves away when they were struggling through the first half.

Towns had only 11 points on 3-for-11 shooting and fouled out midway through the fourth quarter, but his sidekicks were more than up to the challenge..

STrib: Timberwolves interim boss Sachin Gupta still makes team decisions, but job isn't permanent yet

Previously, Marc Lore, who is set to become controlling owner along with Alex Rodriguez in 2023, said the organization wouldn't make a decision on a team president until it had established its three core values, something Lore has done at several of his companies.

Gupta chose not to mess with the roster by making any moves at the deadline and signed Patrick Beverley to a one-year extension shortly after. He and Finch have collaborated on potential moves throughout the season.

"He's a huge part of every decision that I make, and any time I have any thoughts or input, he's wide open on that as well," Gupta said. "So it's truly a partnership."

Added Finch: "He's a good person. We're philosophically aligned. We trust each other. We don't try to do each other's jobs. He's got a very appropriate presence around the team. He's done a really good job of bringing stability, great energy to the whole building."

Howl Wolves!!

Wow what a game.

Howl Wolves!!
It's as excited I have been about the Wolves since the game we sat up in the top row at Target Center.

Barkley just said wolves are dumbest team he had ever seen.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

And then 1 minute later, he picked wolves to beat grizz. Shaq did too
I don't think he's wrong. They won in spite of themselves tonight. Not to shit on Finch, but with the way they were calling tonight's game, he's fortunate to come out a winner with the way he eschewed foul trouble.

The celebration WAS over the top. 😊 Though these were the same guys who, at the Half, were talking as if the Wolves were down by 30. They were up by 2.

Dan Patrick was saying that "they've made the playoffs for the 2nd time in 18 years. Let 'em celebrate!"

As for Beverly? He was with the Clippers for 4 years then they traded him to get cap space. That's what he was upset about.

If you read the Clippers fan zine, their players understood:

“It shows,” George said of Beverley’s impact on the Timberwolves. “I mean, they got guys that are a little bit more confident. His energy and his persona, you know, rubbed off, they made an impact on that roster.

“I know what it was coming into this game. I wasn’t going to allow Pat to do his antics and try to get me flustered. I knew it’s all for show. It’s for the crowd. Gets the crowd involved. I love it. I love it. I miss it. He do it on our side because it’s contagious. I think when he’s in that mode, it ignites the team, ignites the arena. You need energy guys like that.”

Last edited:

Tyronn Lue on their game plan:

Well, we did a good job with Karl-Anthony Towns,” head coach Tyronn Lue said. “Double-teams, our physicality, keeping him out of the paint. We did a good job with that.

“When he went out, they kind of switched. DLo is the guy I was worried about them coming to because he’s aggressive. DLo was the one that I was scared he could take over the game. He did that. I should have did a better job adjusting, blitz a little bit more, try to get the ball out of his hands. He was pretty aggressive and was able to carry them home.”

By coincidence, I totally missed that incident on TNT as it was same time as the EAS interrupted with a Severe Storm warning in my area. Head scratcher. Fortunately for me, did not miss a second of game time thanks to glue lady.

Also, Allie LaForce's husband, Twins relief pitcher Joe Smith, made a brief appearance across the plaza. He faced 1 batter and got a K. His night was over before the TWolves game started.

The celebration was a little much. But considering how long it's been since the Wolves have had a competitive team outside of the Butler year....it's tough not to get jazzed about winning that game. Especially when the Wolves went down ten in the 4th. Big ups to Naz Reid for making some significant plays when he came in to replace Karl.

The celebration was a little much. But considering how long it's been since the Wolves have had a competitive team outside of the Butler year....it's tough not to get jazzed about winning that game. Especially when the Wolves went down ten in the 4th. Big ups to Naz Reid for making some significant plays when he came in to replace Karl.
Just my totally amateur analysis, after KAT had 5 fouls his defensive liability was not going to outweigh what he could on offense. He couldn't challenge anyone inside.

Fouling out was probably a benefit, at that point. I think the Clips made 1 FG in the last 7 minutes.

lol. A little clowning on the Wolves. All in good fun. I like it.

D'Angelo Russell's second full season with the Timberwolves has been erratic, and that just seems to be the point guard's style. There's still no doubt of his importance to the team, not in the mind of coach Chris Finch.

Asked in the lead-up to Tuesday night's play-in game at Target Center what Russell has brought to this winning season, Finch said:

"He has been a big factor because of his ability to make tough shots in close games.''..

And on Tuesday, when the Timberwolves seemed as if they would be overwhelmed by the hard-nosed Los Angeles Clippers in the first half, with Karl-Anthony Towns in foul trouble and without a field goal, it was Russell who went on a run and allowed his team to push ahead 53-51.

And in the fourth quarter, after the Clippers' Paul George had exploded with 17 points in the third, and with Towns now fouled out, it was Russell who hit field goals to give the Wolves an unlikely lead, and then another to push the lead in the closing minute.

And in the end, with Russell co-starring with young Anthony Edwards, the Wolves escaped with a 109-104 victory which most of the night seemed an unlikely occurrence.

It was back on the first Sunday of February, when the Wolves defeated lowly Detroit 118-105, that Russell was asked postgame about the impact of Patrick Beverley, his veteran partner in the backcourt.

As expected, Russell paid tribute to Beverley, although that was not the headline in his response. That prize was won by Russell's reference to the Timberwolves' fans being "quiet'' of the posterior nature..

And it was only this franchise's dreadful fortune — that in a season in which the Wolves went 46-36 to secure seventh place in the Western Conference, this would be the first full season since 1984 that would not guarantee official standing as a "playoff" team.

The NBA tried out the ridiculous play-in tournaments for finishers seven-through-10 in 2021 in both conferences after the second COVID season, drew some TV viewers and has now made those play-ins a fixture to kick off the postseason.

Top Bottom