All things 2020 World Series

tikited

Me
Reaction score
I might be the only one here that really cares, but I'm pumped for the series.

Life long Dodgers fan here and have been sweating out the series with the Braves. Mookie and his glove were unreal.

Tampa scares me, but Dodgers in six.

Life long Dodgers fan here and have been sweating out the series with the Braves. Mookie and his glove were unreal.

I don't have a rooting interest per se, but I will be following. A great matchup of the Haves/Dodgers and the Have Nots/Rays. I am a big fan of Kershaw, so I guess I am hoping he can come up big to shake the monkey off his back.

It would seem that as exciting as the Championship Series have been, that the World Series will be a let down. However, in 1986 both the ALCS & NLCS went 7 games which was followed by one of the best WS, so maybe that will set the stage for 2020.

"Interesting" is in the eye of the beholder, but looking through Baseball Reference here are some items I found:

- First time since 2004 that both the ALCS (Boston Red Sox over the New York Yankees) & NCLS (St. Louis Cardinals over Houston Astros) went 7 games.

- First World Series all games played in the same state since 2002 (San Francisco Giants vs California Angels)

- First World Series all games played in the same city since 2000 (New York Mets vs New York Yankees)

- First World Series all games played on fake grass since 1993 (Philadelphia Phillies vs Toronto Blue Jays). Tug McGraw is spinning in his grave.

- First World Series in which the DH will be used for all games since 1984 (San Diego Padres vs Detroit Tigers)

- First World Series all games played in the same ball park since 1944 (Sportsman's Park, St Louis Cardinals vs St Louis Browns)

I think I have those correct, but feel free to check my work.

Lifelong Dodgers fan, huh? Dodger Stadium is on of the few MLB stadiums I've been to. This was several years ago before the renovations, but a really cool park. I wore a Twins shirt and got a few nods & shout outs from the baseball heads there. Anyway, I don't have anything else to contribute to this thread, just that I was at Dodger Stadium once.

Lifelong Dodgers fan, huh? Dodger Stadium is on of the few MLB stadiums I've been to. This was several years ago before the renovations, but a really cool park. I wore a Twins shirt and got a few nods & shout outs from the baseball heads there. Anyway, I don't have anything else to contribute to this thread, just that I was at Dodger Stadium once.
Bucket list destination for me. I've been to LA several times and the Dodgers were always away at the time. My cousin just moved there so it will happen hopefully next summer.

Wore a Twins shirt and a Dodgers hat the last time the Dodgers were in town. I confused the people next to me by cheering for both teams.

Bucket list destination for me. I've been to LA several times and the Dodgers were always away at the time. My cousin just moved there so it will happen hopefully next summer.

Wore a Twins shirt and a Dodgers hat the last time the Dodgers were in town. I confused the people next to me by cheering for both teams.
It's a cool old ballpark. Kind of isolated at the top of this wooded hill without much around it, which seems kind of unique for LA.

It's a cool old ballpark. Kind of isolated at the top of this wooded hill without much around it, which seems kind of unique for LA.
It has a very dark history of how it came about. Not a good beginning but winning changed the ill will fast.

Rays-Dodgers Opener on Fox Is the Least-Watched World Series Game of All Time

With 9.195 million total viewers, Game 1 of the 2020 World Series is officially the least-watched World Series game of all time. The Rays vs. Dodgers’ Tuesday opener on Fox drew a 2.4 rating among adults 18-49, according to final Nielsen numbers.

The 2.4 rating in the key demo is not a new all-time low for a World Series game. Game 4 of 2019 had a 2.3 rating, for a recent (lower-rated) example. It is, however, tied for an all-time ratings low among opening games. The last 2.4 rating from a World Series Game 1 came in 1999.

When adding streaming and Fox Deportes, the overall viewership was 9.48 million viewers, which still puts it behind the 9.8 million that watched Game 3 between the Rays and Philadelphia Phillies in 2008, the previous low.

Win Twins!!

With 9.195 million total viewers, Game 1 of the 2020 World Series is officially the least-watched World Series game of all time. The Rays vs. Dodgers’ Tuesday opener on Fox drew a 2.4 rating among adults 18-49, according to final Nielsen numbers.

The 2.4 rating in the key demo is not a new all-time low for a World Series game. Game 4 of 2019 had a 2.3 rating, for a recent (lower-rated) example. It is, however, tied for an all-time ratings low among opening games. The last 2.4 rating from a World Series Game 1 came in 1999.

When adding streaming and Fox Deportes, the overall viewership was 9.48 million viewers, which still puts it behind the 9.8 million that watched Game 3 between the Rays and Philadelphia Phillies in 2008, the previous low.

Win Twins!!
Too bad, this has already been a good series.

Too bad, this has already been a good series.

I agree, pretty good so far. Would have been some interesting weather to play through had the Twins somehow found themselves hosting World Series games at Target Field this week in a non-pandemic bubble.

I agree, pretty good so far. Would have been some interesting weather to play through had the Twins somehow found themselves hosting World Series games at Target Field this week in a non-pandemic bubble.
Yep. I don't think we will ever have to worry about the Twins playing that late into a season...

Win Twins!!
Damn shame baseball went all social justice. That's the only reason for these ratings.

Wait...

Well, that was something. Why wouldn't the catcher toss his mask off for a play at the plate on a throw from the outfield?!?

Yet another mask debate...

It would seem that as exciting as the Championship Series have been, that the World Series will be a let down. However, in 1986 both the ALCS & NLCS went 7 games which was followed by one of the best WS, so maybe that will set the stage for 2020.
The 1986 NLCS went 6 games, not 7.

Well, that was something. Why wouldn't the catcher toss his mask off for a play at the plate on a throw from the outfield?!?

Yet another mask debate...
Why would your closer throw a 2 strike pitch right down the middle?

Why would your center fielder botch an easy grounder?

Why would a catcher not toss the mask immediately?

Lots of questions for one of the dumbest ends to a game I've ever seen.

The 1986 NLCS went 6 games, not 7.

Oh your right, my bad! That NLCS just felt like a 7 gamer with the Mets outlasting the Astros in 16 innings to win an epic Game 6. I should have checked Baseball Reference.

Still the 1986 Post Season was probably the most exciting ever, and 2020 is getting there.

The LA Dodgers are kings of short season MLB, adding the 2020 World Series Trophy to 1981 that was abbreviated due a players strike.

Still they earned it, counts as much as any other in my opinion.

Yes, they have a bonkers payroll that should all but guarantee them a championship... But nonetheless, hats off to the Magic Johnson ownership group. I visited Dodger Stadium a few years ago, and they've greatly improved the fan experience from the previous ownership, especially what's been essentially a restoration of the stadium to its mid-century glory, including some tasteful new wrinkles like a top-level plaza facing downtown and the ocean. That organization is first class all the way.

Yes, they have a bonkers payroll that should all but guarantee them a championship... But nonetheless, hats off to the Magic Johnson ownership group. I visited Dodger Stadium a few years ago, and they've greatly improved the fan experience from the previous ownership, especially what's been essentially a restoration of the stadium to its mid-century glory, including some tasteful new wrinkles like a top-level plaza facing downtown and the ocean. That organization is first class all the way.
Good to read that.

ARLINGTON, Texas — The Los Angeles Dodgers’ six-game win over the Tampa Bay Rays received an average television rating 32% below the previous World Series low.

The six games on Fox averaged a 5.2 rating, 12 share and 9,785,000 viewers, Nielsen Media Research said Wednesday. The previous low was a 7.6 rating, 12 share and 12,660,000 viewers for the San Francisco Giants’ four-game sweep of the Detroit Tigers in 2012.

This year’s rating was down 36% from the 8.1 rating, 16 share and average of 14,067,000 viewers for the Washington Nationals’ seven-game win over the Houston Astros last year.

Los Angeles’ 3-1 win in Game 6 on Tuesday night drew a 6.8 rating, 15 share and an average of 12,627,000 viewers, down from a 9.6 rating, 19 share and average of 16,551,000 viewers for Washington’s 7-2 win in Game 6 last year.

Last year’s Series average was boosted by Game 7, when the Nationals’ 6-2 win drew a 13.1 rating, 25 share and an average of 23,217,000 viewers..

Having the Tampa Rays in the WS was a ratings killer, no doubt about it. Other factors in play, but having arguably the smallest market in MLB, NO BUENO! Network nightmare

The LA Dodgers are kings of short season MLB, adding the 2020 World Series Trophy to 1981 that was abbreviated due a players strike.

Still they earned it, counts as much as any other in my opinion.

Patrick must be a fan of mine...

Top Bottom