All Things 2019-2020 Minnesota Timberwolves In-Season Thread

That was a great end to the game. Butler will probably blame a teammate for the miscues at the end.

Sounds like him. Though he didn't take questions after the game.

Which also sounds like him.

Timberwolves fined $25,000 for resting D'Angelo Russell

The NBA fined the Minnesota Timberwolves $25,000 Thursday for violating the league's player resting policy, marking the first time the league has enforced the load-management rules put in place in 2017 and clarified in November.

The violation occurred when the Timberwolves rested D'Angelo Russell -- a healthy player under the policy -- during Sunday's road game against the Nuggets in Denver, the league said.

The resting policy limits teams from sitting healthy players in "high-profile" nationally televised games. Sunday's game was on NBA TV. The policy requires that teams rest players only when they are home, unless there are unusual circumstances.

Howl Wolves!!

Gersson Rosas says Wolves aren't tanking, but growing pains are expected

Timberwolves President Gersson Rosas has heard the accusations that his front office is in the midst of “tanking” — trying to better the team’s draft position by not doing everything possible to win games.

It was an accusation that became louder when the Wolves rested point guard D’Angelo Russell — resulting in a $25,000 fine from the NBA — in just the second game back from the nine-day All-Star break.

One of Rosas’ responses came after the Wolves beat Miami 129-126 on Wednesday.

“Tank that!” Rosas wrote on Twitter.

But he elaborated in a recent conversation with the Star Tribune on why he thought that notion was unfair, why the team rested Russell and how he feels about the job coach Ryan Saunders is doing.

“I wouldn’t say it gets under my skin, but it’s just disappointing when you don’t have all the facts,” Rosas said of the tanking accusations. “The reality is if individuals knew what was going on behind the scenes, how hard our coaches are working, our players are working — that’s the disappointing part because I think it’s disrespectful to them and what they’re putting in.”

Howl Wolves!!

per Sid:

• In his first three seasons, Karl-Anthony Towns didn’t miss a single game for the Wolves. But on Sunday, he will miss his 24th game this season.

Howl Wolves!!

per STrib:

Just over a month after trading for Allen Crabbe, the Timberwolves and Crabbe have agreed to a contract buyout.

Crabbe arrived in Minnesota after the Wolves traded Jeff Teague and Treveon Graham to Atlanta to get him on Jan. 16. The Wolves were hopeful Crabbe could be a fit in their offense given he played for Wolves assistants in both Portland and Brooklyn, but Crabbe never quite clicked in Minnesota.

He played in just nine games and averaged 3.2 points. Crabbe is now eligible to sign with another team. Crabbe missed the last four Wolves games for what the team said was "personal reasons." Crabbe had originally flown to Denver at the start of the trip but then flew home before last Sunday's game.

According to ESPN's front office insider Bobby Marks, Crabbe had roughly $4.6 million remaining on his $18,5 million contract, which is set to expire after this season. If Crabbe signs with another team, it would give the Wolves some relief as it relates to the luxury tax. According to Marks, the Wolves are $894,000 over the luxury tax threshold. If Crabbe signed a minimum contratct, that would be prorated to a value of $516,000 the rest of the season.

Howl Wolves!!

Is it too early to start a form of tank-a-palooza count down, watching the standings?

The Wolves are now 2 games clear of the Knicks and Hawks, tied with Cleveland for 2nd overall in the race for ping pong balls. And a really crappy year for them to get a top 3-4 overall pick but you take what you can get, right? Better odds are better odds, any way you slice it

8 Wolves in double figures, with Beasley reading the way with 28 as the Wolves go down to New Orleans and beat the Pelicans 139-134.

Russell saved his best for last, as he scored 10 of his 23 in the fourth as the Wolves went on a 9-1 run to take a 122-120 lead with 6:52 to play. An 11-2 spurt gave the Wolves a 133-124 lead with 2:55 left, and they held on thanks in part to a zone defense the New Orleans couldn’t shoot over. The Pelicans shot two of 11 from three-point range in the fourth quarter.

The Wolves had eight players in double figures and set a franchise record for most points in a road game that didn’t go to overtime.

“It was a major team win the way guys battled,” Saunders said. “They withstood their runs. That team is playing really well, and they got a lot of talent over there that can really come at you in waves. So I’m proud of what our group was able to do.”

There is little time for revelry, as the Wolves play Chicago in Minneapolis on Wednesday. That meant a long flight home after Tuesday’s win, with Beasley providing chicken wings for the team on the flight. But unlike other flights this season, this one was going to be a happy one.

The Wolves and Pelicans both came into the night in the top five in pace and bottom 10 in defensive rating, and the game was a track meet. Both teams executed offense at a high level; the Wolves just had a little more fuel. The praise flowed for Reid, the undrafted rookie who played at LSU and has played major minutes as Karl-Anthony Towns recovers from a wrist fracture..

Wolves win two games in a row for the first time in a month 115-108 over the Bulls. A Bulls team that got Markkanen back but was without Zach LaVine. The victory pleased some fans and angered others who have demanded they just forfeit the rest of the season. ;)

“We know what winning is in this league — it’s little things,” Beasley said. “In shootaround, if we’re putting up shots, [James Johnson] is making sure we’re getting back with nobody there. It’s just habits of building a foundation, and that foundation is starting to show now and then.”

It shows in shooting 50% from the floor and 44% from three-point range, which is what the Wolves did Wednesday. It helped that the Bulls were without former Wolves guard Zach LaVine. Rookie Coby White, who the Wolves passed on taking in the draft, went for 26 points and six assists, but the Wolves had too much firepower. Their lead grew to as big as 14 in the fourth quarter as six players scored in double figures.

“Us being a young team in the league, it’s hard to win” Russell said. “When you’re young, you find a way to lose at the end of the game, versus a veteran team, they just stay solid throughout the game and let that young team just mess up down the stretch. If we’re capitalizing down the stretch and making the right play, that’s growth right there.”

There were some hairy moments in terms of taking care of the ball late (the Wolves did have 18 turnovers) and the Bulls cut it to five with 1 minute, 8 seconds to play, but what’s a Wolves win without a little drama?

Wolves win two games in a row for the first time in a month 115-108 over the Bulls. A Bulls team that got Markkanen back but was without Zach LaVine. The victory pleased some fans and angered others who have demanded they just forfeit the rest of the season. ;)

“We know what winning is in this league — it’s little things,” Beasley said. “In shootaround, if we’re putting up shots, [James Johnson] is making sure we’re getting back with nobody there. It’s just habits of building a foundation, and that foundation is starting to show now and then.”

It shows in shooting 50% from the floor and 44% from three-point range, which is what the Wolves did Wednesday. It helped that the Bulls were without former Wolves guard Zach LaVine. Rookie Coby White, who the Wolves passed on taking in the draft, went for 26 points and six assists, but the Wolves had too much firepower. Their lead grew to as big as 14 in the fourth quarter as six players scored in double figures.

“Us being a young team in the league, it’s hard to win” Russell said. “When you’re young, you find a way to lose at the end of the game, versus a veteran team, they just stay solid throughout the game and let that young team just mess up down the stretch. If we’re capitalizing down the stretch and making the right play, that’s growth right there.”

There were some hairy moments in terms of taking care of the ball late (the Wolves did have 18 turnovers) and the Bulls cut it to five with 1 minute, 8 seconds to play, but what’s a Wolves win without a little drama?

I ragged on James Johnson early on but he has been stellar the last three games. Attended my first win in a long time last night. Russell still sucks at defense but is easily the best PG since Billups. I am more than happy with the trade so far.

What are the thoughts on Beasley? I was able to watch him a fair amount last year, as Nuggets games were on in China a lot, but since my move, haven't seen much for NBA games this year. He was intriguing last year, seemed buried in Denver this year, but stats since joining the T-Wolves have been impressive:
11 games
21.4 ppg
49% FG
44% 3 Point
3.9 3's/game

What are the thoughts on Beasley? I was able to watch him a fair amount last year, as Nuggets games were on in China a lot, but since my move, haven't seen much for NBA games this year. He was intriguing last year, seemed buried in Denver this year, but stats since joining the T-Wolves have been impressive:
11 games
21.4 ppg
49% FG
44% 3 Point
3.9 3's/game
He's a gamer for sure. He's never going to be an all-star type of player, but he has the tools to be a solid starter. A fan favorite type already. Loves to shoot the 3 on the break. Gets to the hole. Nothing about his defense is going to excite people, but he is so active that he is visually better than Wiggins ever was.

He's a gamer for sure. He's never going to be an all-star type of player, but he has the tools to be a solid starter. A fan favorite type already. Loves to shoot the 3 on the break. Gets to the hole. Nothing about his defense is going to excite people, but he is so active that he is visually better than Wiggins ever was.
'
Beasley looks like a steal! I was hoping they'd be able to get Michael Porter Jr. from the Nugs, but so far I am really liking Beasley's hustle, athleticism, shooting ability and leadership for a 23 year old seems there. He could end up being like Bradley Beal. Way too early to say that but so far so good!

Is it too early to start a form of tank-a-palooza count down, watching the standings?

The Wolves are now 2 games clear of the Knicks and Hawks, tied with Cleveland for 2nd overall in the race for ping pong balls. And a really crappy year for them to get a top 3-4 overall pick but you take what you can get, right? Better odds are better odds, any way you slice it

There are always a few elite talents in the draft. It's just about identifying them this year. I'd say that this is a crappy year to have a 5-10 pick. From what I read....there is a large drop off after the top few. And no obvious #1. It's really too bad that James Wiseman didn't get to play much at Memphis this year. At 7'1"....and the #1 prospect out of high school....it would be awesome to pair him up with KAT. But there is just too much uncertainty. LaMelo Ball as a 6'7" combo guard might be the best prospect in the draft. Him and Russell could wreak some havoc in the backcourt together.

There are always a few elite talents in the draft. It's just about identifying them this year. I'd say that this is a crappy year to have a 5-10 pick. From what I read....there is a large drop off after the top few. And no obvious #1. It's really too bad that James Wiseman didn't get to play much at Memphis this year. At 7'1"....and the #1 prospect out of high school....it would be awesome to pair him up with KAT. But there is just too much uncertainty. LaMelo Ball as a 6'7" combo guard might be the best prospect in the draft. Him and Russell could wreak some havoc in the backcourt together.

This feels a lot like 2013 draft to me, the one where Anthony Bennett was the #1 pick. That draft appeared terrible, but there were still some really good players to be found. Oladipo at 2, McCollum at 10, the Greek freak at 15, and Gobert at 27.

This is not the year to tank, the Wolves should be trying to win and build on that success. It's finally felt like that's what they are trying to do the last few games.

This feels a lot like 2013 draft to me, the one where Anthony Bennett was the #1 pick. That draft appeared terrible, but there were still some really good players to be found. Oladipo at 2, McCollum at 10, the Greek freak at 15, and Gobert at 27.

This is not the year to tank, the Wolves should be trying to win and build on that success. It's finally felt like that's what they are trying to do the last few games.

I'm fine with them winning a few more to show that they at least have some semblance of a roster to build upon. It would be a shame if they they fell from the top four or so however. They need a guy who can immediately pick up minutes.

I'm fine with them winning a few more to show that they at least have some semblance of a roster to build upon. It would be a shame if they they fell from the top four or so however. They need a guy who can immediately pick up minutes.

I don't think picking in the top 4 guarantees a guy that can do that in any draft, especially this draft.

I don't think picking in the top 4 guarantees a guy that can do that in any draft, especially this draft.

No draft guarantees anything. But I'd feel a lot better if the Wolves had as many choices as possible. Are you trying to say that you'd be just as fine with a 5-7 pick than the 2-4 pick?

No draft guarantees anything. But I'd feel a lot better if the Wolves had as many choices as possible. Are you trying to say that you'd be just as fine with a 5-7 pick than the 2-4 pick?

I want to see them win games and get better. It's a lottery, losing doesn't guarantee anything.

Depending on what mock draft you look at, there's almost no consensus on a top 5 or even a top 10.

I also think it's possible that Rosas figures out a way to use these picks with other players to land Booker. It's a long shot, but so was getting DLo.

I want to see them win games and get better. It's a lottery, losing doesn't guarantee anything.

Depending on what mock draft you look at, there's almost no consensus on a top 5 or even a top 10.

I also think it's possible that Rosas figures out a way to use these picks with other players to land Booker. It's a long shot, but so was getting DLo.

Again....the bigger the pool....the more likely to land an impact player. And if you think the plan is to go and get Devin Booker....how in the hell could you possibly think that a top 4 pick is of similar value to a 5-8 pick? Makes no sense.

Again....the bigger the pool....the more likely to land an impact player. And if you think the plan is to go and get Devin Booker....how in the hell could you possibly think that a top 4 pick is of similar value to a 5-8 pick? Makes no sense.

I get it, and of course you want the biggest pool possible. But in some drafts that matters more than others. Getting a top two pick and landing Zion or Ja had a significantly higher value than having the 3rd pick or later last year, or any pick this year.

There is no Ja or Zion this year. I just read another mock that had Wiseman going #1, where I've seen him going more consistently in the 6-8 range. The only value in having a higher pick this year is having a bigger pool. The top 10 prospects all grade out similarly. It's not worth tanking from the 5th worse team to the 2nd worse team just for a few more ping pong balls in this draft.

I've even read the Wolves may look to trade down if they did end up with a top 3 pick. The guy they may like the most may be available in the 6-10 range.

I get it, and of course you want the biggest pool possible. But in some drafts that matters more than others. Getting a top two pick and landing Zion or Ja had a significantly higher value than having the 3rd pick or later last year, or any pick this year.

There is no Ja or Zion this year. I just read another mock that had Wiseman going #1, where I've seen him going more consistently in the 6-8 range. The only value in having a higher pick this year is having a bigger pool. The top 10 prospects all grade out similarly. It's not worth tanking from the 5th worse team to the 2nd worse team just for a few more ping pong balls in this draft.

I've even read the Wolves may look to trade down if they did end up with a top 3 pick. The guy they may like the most may be available in the 6-10 range.

I get that. But you pick up assets by trading down. There's no downside to a higher pick.

A pro athlete has tested positive for corona. Sh*t is about to get really serious.

if a baseball player or a hockey player tests positive, you could be looking at all major sports in the US shutting down for an indefinite period. Any games that are played will have empty stands.

Sid Hartman: Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor hopeful NBA can return to action soon

Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor is dealing with the massive fallout from the shutdown of the NBA season last week, a move the league made to help stop the spread of the COVID-19 virus.

On Tuesday, Taylor created a $1 million relief fund to help Target Center support staff for the Wolves and Lynx while they await the return of games and events.

NBA teams are still unsure when or if games will return this season, but the league is preparing for every scenario.

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver told ESPN on Wednesday that he remains optimistic the league will play this season, even if it is without fans for a time.

Taylor, who also owns the Star Tribune, said he is closely monitoring the situation and believes the league will do all it can to get the regular season finished and go on to the postseason.

“I’m really hopeful. I think we’re going to do it, if it’s at all possible,” Taylor said. “This is a health issue that we have no control over, but I think for our players and our fans, I would like to see us take a break and hopefully we can get back in 30 days and finish the season. I think the playoffs, they’re just so much fun and so important to our fans and our players.”

Howl Wolves!!

Sid continues:

Right direction

Taylor said that while the season has been a struggle at times, he thinks the franchise is pointing in the right direction.

“Yeah, I am positive we have the right people,” he said. “I think that we made wholesale changes in the players — these players that we now have on our team are more apt to play the style that the coach [Ryan Saunders] would like to see. That’s shooting of threes, moving the ball around the court a lot and moving up and down the court fast.”

But whenever the season resumes and before the start of next season, Taylor said he thinks the team will need to find a big man who can play alongside Towns.

“I think it shows, with Karl’s injury, that it’s an area that we’re a little weak on,” Taylor said. “Part of it is we’re playing a rookie [Naz Reid] in that position right now. My guess is that you’re correct, that we’ll look around and see if we can find another person to support us in that area before next year.”

So even while the season is on hold, there’s no doubt Taylor and the rest of NBA fans can’t wait for the games to return.

Howl Wolves!!

Sid: Wolves look for hope in midst of another difficult season

Rosas and Saunders’ plan

After the Wolves made all of their trades in February, President of Basketball Operations Gersson Rosas said just how important it was for this group to play together under coach Ryan Saunders, even if qualifying for the playoffs already seemed out of reach.

“Those [remaining] games are critically important to us. I’ve said it from the beginning, this year is about building identity. It’s building chemistry, building habits, and it is painful. These first 50 games, it was painful to go through the growing pains,” Rosas said. “But as I have said often, you have to know who you are, you have to know what you have and you have to know what you need. Ryan has been an unbelievable partner. He has executed the vision day in and day out.

“It was our job to add more talent to the base. ... The reality for us is we’re building the foundation of a sustainable organization, and every day matters to us. Finishing strong is very important and seeing what we can do the rest of the year. It goes into the summer and into next season. What we do now impacts our future every day.”

Rosas came in with a vision to change the Wolves, and they took the first major step in February.

“We’ve turned things over pretty aggressively. But it’s with a purpose,” Rosas said. “It’s about building the future, building a foundation, and it’s the opportunity to do something different. Minnesota and these fans deserve it. We hope to continue to see them because we have an exciting ride coming up.”

You have to hope that with some of the positive news coming out of the NBA — such as the fact that Utah Jazz stars Rudy Gobert and Donovan Mitchell, the first players to have tested positive for the coronavirus, no longer pose a risk to transmit the disease to others — that maybe there is still time for practices and games to get going and for the Wolves to get a chance to return to action to complete what has been a difficult season.

Howl Wolves!!

STrib: Timberwolves helping players maintain their mental and emotional fitness, too

The physical challenge the Wolves have addressed. They have sent players exercise equipment, given them workout routines they can do from home and helped players find living quarters that include basketball courts where they can at least take a ball and shoot. That has been important because Rosas estimated 70-80% of the team is still in Minnesota.

But just as important, if not more so, than the physical aspect, is making sure players are healthy from a mental standpoint. It’s something that hasn’t been easy since the NBA suspended its season March 11.

“These are young people that are in the throes of a really traumatic time,” said Sikka, who told the team this will be their generation’s 9/11, a landmark event they will remember where they were when it began. “Everybody has to absorb information in the ways that they are built … Everybody has different things that motivate them, that cause fear and we can’t communicate with each player the same. We’ve got to make sure that we tailor what we do to the individual and give them the sense that they’re the priority.”

To do that, the Wolves have been leaning on the expertise of Sikka; Gregg Farnam, the team’s longtime head athletic trainer; and Justin Anderson, the team psychologist. Anderson has been doing video check-ins with players to help them cope with the psychological aspect of not playing a sport they love and of the concerns they might have being alone or concerns about their family.

“When people get pulled out of the thing that makes them ‘them,’ they have some shifts in their identity,” Anderson said. “Who am I? Without this sport, who am I? And a lot of these guys haven’t had to answer that because they’ve been in this sport 24-7. So it can really impact you from a psychological perspective.”

Anderson said he has told players he sees the pandemic playing out in four stages from a psychological standpoint.

The first has passed — the uncertainty around the season and what the government response to the virus would be. The second is what everyone is going through now, the “isolation” phase.

“Guys are really bored,” Anderson said. “And that boredom, combined with isolation, it’s a new thing for folks.”

Howl Wolves!!

The Athletic: Faced with an unprecedented challenge, Ryan Saunders digs in for the Wolves

“With a young team, keeping guys engaged, that’s one of the primary focuses, not just during a tough time like this, but throughout the course of the season,” Saunders said. “You try to find different ways and what this has allowed us to do right now, we use the word opportunity a lot, but it’s allowed us to learn more about these guys. Learn a little bit more about their families because you care about their families. You care about these players and you want to make sure that they feel supported and when we’re able to talk more on a deeper level, you can’t help but learn more and learn what might make that guy tick.”

At such a young stage of his career as a coach, Saunders is still forging a resume. He is not yet Carlisle or Spoelstra from a game-management standpoint. His 36-70 record is not going to get anyone excited. He doesn’t have the talent at his disposal like Doc Rivers in L.A. or Mike Budenholzer in Milwaukee.

But he is a proven communicator, a coach who can adapt to changing environments and is willing and able to look past the results of a game to see the person behind the player. There will be time to judge Saunders and the Wolves on wins and losses. There is no playbook for him in this situation. Spoelstra, Carlisle, Gregg Popovich — they’re all in the same boat. Saunders is doubling down on his approach, the one he feels most comfortable with. The one that got him to this position in the first place.

Right now, the youngest team in the league needs his ability to connect now that basketball has been taken away from them.

“We miss the game dearly,” Saunders said, “but to be able to spend quality time with family, especially our kids in formidable years, formidable times, that’s definitely something you don’t want to take lightly.”

Howl Wolves!!

Top Bottom