All South Suburban Conference vs. Gophers

RunGopherRun

Reaction score
I'm a SSC basketball guy. After last night's games I was talking with another coach about how strong the SSC is this year, and how bad the Gophers are this year. I raise the question, "Would the top players from the SSC be able to beat the Gophers this year?"

We go down the list:

PG - Tre Jones 6'1" - AVHS (offers from all over)
SG - Gary Trent Jr. 6' 5" - AVHS (offers from all over)
SF - Stephon Mitchell 6' 7"- Shakopee (mid major offers)
PF - Nate Reuvers - 6' 10" Lakeville North (up and comer, played sophomore/JV most of last year - mid major offers)
C - Brock Bertram - 6' 11" AVHS (best offer of Texas Tech, but is going to Buffalo)

Bench - Kirksey (AVHS, mid major offers), Sorenson (Lakeville South, Ole Miss, mid major offers), ...

We decided probably not, but that is a pretty good group of high school players in one conference. The size disparity isn't much, if at all. The biggest thing that we said could keep the SSC team in the game was the guard play. The gophers can't defend anyone. Gary Trent Jr. could easily go off for 25 or 30+ if team all SSC fed him the ball consistently. Plus, we have lost to multiple mid-major schools already. Are the Gophers even a decent mid-major team?

I'm sure for most it would be difficult to say since you haven't seen these high school kids play much. It would at least be intriguing to see what would happen. What do we say?

Yes.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The Gophers hypothetically should have a strength advantage, but Murphy vs. Reuvers is the only place where that would actually happen. Jones and Trent would probably have their way with the Gopher backcourt.

I would be more intrigued with a game between our five best players this year vs our incoming recruits, Lynch and Fitz. With that said Trent Jr would be the best player on the court, Tre will have a good career, but the rest of them are a total crapshoot at the next level. Can't think of the guys name, but I remember SDSU was recruiting someone that scored an insane amount of points in high school and the board was convinced we was the next Wolters, Tubby passed him up and the kid fizzled out and transferred after two years with the Jack Rabbits

Every kid in high school that gets a college offer will instantly become the best player on that college team the day he steps on campus. It's a fact.

Also, if this was 2 years ago, I think Team SSC would have a chance against this year's gophers.

PG-Tyus Jones, Apple Valley (We all know who he is)
SG- Dejon Davis, Bloomington Kennedy (Plays at South Dakota, who beat the U)
SF- JP Macura, Lakeville North (Probably know about him too)
PF-Weakest positon for sure, probably either 10th grade Cam Kirksey or D2 Drew Guebert
C- Brock Bertram, Apple Valley (10th grade, but he was already a huge dude, and lets be honest, bigs aren't the U's strength)

Bench: Double digit number of D2 players, young Trent Jr., Sorenson, Tre Jones.

I would pay to see this game!

Unlike Gopher fans who won't pay to see the current roster play!

I would pay to see this game!

Unlike Gopher fans who won't pay to see the current roster play!

You are better off paying $6-7 and watch two high school teams play - the high school teams hustle, play defense and talk on defense. These are items you won't often see watching this years Gopher team.

Top Bottom