All-Minnesotan team 2010

playhosea!

Chad Kolander groupie
Reaction score
This time of year I typically try to figure out what the best team of Minnesota high school-product college basketball players would be. Some people find this interesting, others not. Such is life. This is just my list. Feel free to suggest additional/different players because there are plenty of guys deserving of mention and almost certainly some I haven't considered.

C Cole Aldrich (Kansas) -- 11.2 ppg, 9.9 rpg, 3.5 bpg. Big XII defensive player of the year for the second consecutive year (co-winner last season). First team all-Big XII. Arguably the best player in the nation at his position.

PF Jon Leuer (Wisconsin) -- 14.8 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 1.5 bpg, 51% FG, 39% 3-pt shooting. Leuer missed 9 games with a broken wrist and came back with a terrible game at the Barn, but was otherwise outstanding. Huge statistical improvement over last season.

SF Ryan Wittman (Cornell) --17.5 ppg, 42% 3-pt shooting. Unanimous selection as Ivy League Player of the Year. Led Cornell in scoring four consecutive seasons. Currently fifth all-time in Ivy League history in scoring. Likely the greatest player in the history of his school. For reference, in the entire history of Cornell basketball, the school has made 5 appearances in the NCAA tournament, including 3 straight appearances the last three years led by Wittman.

SG Blake Hoffarber (Minnesota) -- 10.1 ppg, 50% FG, 47% 3-pt shooting. Hardest spot to fill on the team. Hoffarber started off the year spectacularly, but his scoring slowed down the stretch. Still had a very solid overall season and ranked 14th in the country in 3-point accuracy. Strong assist to turnover ratio at 2.10.

PG Jordan Taylor (Wisconsin) -- 10.2 ppg, 3.6 apg. You might be thinking "Who?" but you shouldn't be. First in the Big Ten and third in nation in assist to turnover ratio at 3.11. Scored 23 in win over Purdue and had a 40-minute, 20-point game in win at Illinois.

Second Team
Noah Dahlman (Wofford) -- 16.8 ppg, 6.3 rpg. Scored 19 in loss at Michigan State.

Cory Johnson (Valparaiso) -- 15.6 ppg, 5.8 rpg. Yeah, that Cory Johnson. I never saw him play all year but impressive numbers in a bounce-back season for the fomer Iowa State transfer.

Eric Carlson (North Dakota State) -- 14.8 ppg, 6.9 rpg. Scored 24 with 12 rebounds and went 48 minutes in a win at South Dakota State.

Trent Lockett (Arizona State) -- 6.7 ppg, 3.4 rpg. Started the year with several big games, but faded down the stretch in freshman season.

Matt Janning (Northeastern) -- 15.4 ppg.

Not bad...also Cameron Rundles (Wofford) is averaging 6.6 pts 2.6 rpg. Had 20 pts in the conference championship game to get to the dance.

Nicely done, playhosea, I do think you need to find room on your second team for Northern Iowa's PG Kwadzo Ahelegbe (10.7 ppg, 3.2 rpg; 2.7 apg) one of the leaders on that team and originally from Tartan.

Also could mention PG Angelo Johnson, who's now at Southern Miss after transferring from USC; he looks to have had an up and down year, but averaged 10 ppg, 3 rpg, and 2.5 apg.

Kwadzo

I did consider Kwadzo and probably should have put him on the second team. His numbers don't blow you away, but UNI is a very good team this year and he's a big reason why. Another Tartan guy, Marc Sonnen, is a good reserve on that team as well.

Its a little depressing that only one of these 10 stayed home. I understand we cant get all of them, and their recruit value may have been different coming out of high school, but still I would hope that in the future we can get more of these guys.

How did Wolters do this year? I remember hearing he was having a nice season.

Its a little depressing that only one of these 10 stayed home. I understand we cant get all of them, and their recruit value may have been different coming out of high school, but still I would hope that in the future we can get more of these guys.

I think we'd have gotten Aldrich if Tubby had been here a year earlier

Leuer blew up late, Blake supposedly accepted the scholly first

None of those other guys were recruited by us seriously. We took Joseph over Taylor and Williams over Lockett

Minnesotans

Royce White 2nd team- he is killing people in pick up games

Next Year add Mr Basketball Finalist 6 9 Marshall Broklund to NDSU on that list, kid has put up 34 18 and 14 blocks in a game, and in tuesdays section final game put up 24 and 15reb and stole the ball went full court and hit a layup for the winning basket.

Tubby told him to "walk on" HA!!

Good additions above, especially Stommes who I forgot about completely.

The Jacksonville games today were ridiculously filled with Minnesota players. First, Ryan Wittman scored 20 in Cornell's first-ever NCAA Tournament win. Then Wofford got a huge game from Jamar Diggs, but couldn't pull out the win. At one point during the game I think Diggs, Dahlman, and Cameron Rundles were all on the court against Leuer, Taylor, and Mike Bruesewitz for Wisconsin.

What about Wittman's son at Cornell or whatever ivy league school he plays at, he was pretty good

Top Bottom