All 68 NCAA Tournament Schools Ranked By Coolest Person Who Went There

One thing everyone can agree on:

There is some great coolness that attended the U

Be it coolness in music & culture (Dylan)
Coolness in science & caring (Borlaug)
Coolness in being in space (Duane Carey)
Coolness in being Jim Phelps (Peter Graves)
Coolness in just being Henry Fonda
Coolness in poker (The Fossilman Greg Raymer 2005 WSOP Champion)

and much more.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg!!! And Raymer a UMn guy?! didn't know that.

How about Deke Slayton - "Neil Armstrong became the first person to walk on the moon because I selected him" We're talking about THE RIGHT STUFF!!!!! Had several movies made about him and his 6 buddies.

I think his nickname was "Crash", lol

Ernest O Lawrence?! How about having an element named after you?! Lawrencium.

If you are a fan of Sci-Fi, you all know he invented the Cyclotron, the particle accelerator?! It's only THE vital piece of equipment used in every legit, and weird & wacky science experiment ever in a sci-fi flick.

Personally, I'm a geek so he'd get my vote for the coolest.

And we have both a Star Trek Capt, Capt Janeway? And we have a Piccard, too. Who explored space in a way, sort of, kind of, maybe?! lol

How about Seymour Cray?! Built the worlds fastest computers for years and years. And everytime a computer got built that was faster? It was usually him who built the faster one. I'd say computers are pretty cool. But I'm a geek so, lol.

But as much of a geek as I am, Dylan hands down!!! Doesn't get my vote, but I agree with everyone else giving him theirs.

And I'm a Ron Perlman fan, too.

Harry Reasoner, Roy Wilkins, Hillard, Loni Anderson, Bobby McFarrin, Humphrey, Al Nier, Keillor.
Too many to mention. But being accomplished and cool are not the same thing. Depends on what kinds of things you are into.

I actually kind of think its kind of cool that Henry Morris was a UMn grad. One of the most hated men in the history of modern science. The leader of the Creation Science movement in America, lol. I bet the U doesn't brag about that guy, lol!!!

But I still think its cool in its own right.

I imagine every school in the tournament's board has this thread.

Thought I would share. The image below is from Easy Rider, where Peter Fonda's character is crossing the Colorado River out of California. The white bridge in the background is the one on which Henry Fonda's character (Tom Joad) crossed from Arizona to California in The Grapes of Wrath.

4559558404_8c5e1e7e54_z.jpg

Being considered the greatest song writer and arguably the most iconic musician in the history of the planet. That and the introducing the Beatles to weed thing. :D

Ok, I get that you think hipping a few English lads (who imitate Elvis and Little Richard) to weed is cool. But, cooly, quietly and w/o notoriety saving millions of lives beats writing brilliant popular music every day of the week.

Coolness is inversely proportional to popularity.

Deke Slayton is an alumnus? I didn't know that. Very cool. I think he might be # 3

Go Gophers tonight.

Top Bottom