Alex Rodriguez and close friend Marc Lore have signed a letter of intent and are negotiating with Glen Taylor to become the next owners of the Wolves

I hope they stay at the Target Center since it only takes me 8 minutes to get there from my house. If they moved to St. Paul...I would be done with my tickets. The Wolves are not worth the drive.
It sure makes a difference, doesn't it? As odd as it sounds, for my AZ Cards season tickets, State Farm Stadium in Glendale is on the far WNW end of the PHX valley, almost exactly a 4-hr drive from my house to the front door of the stadium, and I have said many times if the stadium was anywhere closer to being in Phoenix, or God forbid on the other end of the valley, I would never have gotten tickets.

Call it the "Vacation Syndrome". If we're in Orlando even though Bern's Steakhouse is in Tampa, we'll always take the 90 mile drive to get there. When we lived in L.A. we'd drive/fly down to San Diego or fly up to Reno/Tahoe 2-3 times a year 'cus we lived across the highway from LAX and flights were cheap.

At home? We love Jucy Lucys from Matts. Even though it's less than a half hour away we get there about once a year. Though when the Gophers played at the Metrodome, we'd get there 3-4 times a year after games. Why? Because it feels like hassle to get there.

Sid and the Strib screamed about the Wild going to St.Paul. So did many of the former North Star ticket holders, who came mainly from the Western Suburbs. Then the Wild sold out the place. Something the Wolves haven't done in years. It didn't feel like a hassle to get there. People thought it was worth the trip.

We shared Wolves Season Tickets and had partial packages for years. We didn't quit because of the location but because they became so godawful. That made it a hassle.

Looking at the crowds at Target Center including the boxes, looks like thousands of Wolves fans feel the same way.

Incidentally they're making-up the Nets game today at 3:00. There will be no fans in attendance.

Edit: The Nets will be without LaMarcus Aldridge (illness, non-COVID related), Kyrie Irving (personal reasons) and James Harden (right hamstring strain). Harden had 38 points and Irving 27 when Brooklyn beat the Wolves 112-107 on March 29 in Brooklyn.

Last edited:

Assuming Vegas and Seattle are expansions.

Would T-Wolves get kicked over to Eastern Central?

If that happens, I wonder if that could potentially setup a move as: Chicago 2nd team, Columbus, Cincy, Pittsburgh?
That would be great if they don't move. Being in a division with Milwaukee, Chicago and Detroit is not only easier to win but has all the natural rivalries of the other sports.

Last edited:

I hope they stay at the Target Center since it only takes me 8 minutes to get there from my house. If they moved to St. Paul...I would be done with my tickets. The Wolves are not worth the drive.
Are Gopher basketball fans allowed to root for them to move the way some idiots did with the Vikings?

That would be great if they don't move. Being in a division with Milwaukee, Chicago and Detroit is not only easier to win but has all the natural rivalries of the other sprots.

That's certainly the best case scenario. The Wolves have one of the worst travel schedules in the NBA. Taylor has been trying to get them to the Eastern Conference for years now. Seattle and Las Vegas coming in should get them there.

Last edited:

Pat chimes in:

"You're 75. You love baseball and its now-disappearing traditions and remain offended by his PED lies. You also have a low tolerance for people who are over-the-top bull slingers, and think they are fooling you with it. That's A-Rod.

"BUT ... we're in a town right now where the most-dynamic team owner is Zygi Wilf. We deserve more than digging Zygi. We've always had older white guys own the pro franchises in the Twin Cities. Enough.

"Plus, the NBA is all about star power. The Wolves have been back-burner on that since the team around the fantastic, foul-mouthed Kevin Garnett started to fade, and K.G. left town angry in 2007.

"A-Rod gives the Wolves star power up top. A-Rod keeps Karl-Anthony Towns around, and is seen hugging it out with Anthony Edwards, and the vibe changes completely.

"The Wolves become a true rallying point for young people in the city and the area. Yes, we get full-on A-Rod bull slinging constantly, but it will be worth the trade-off."

So, there's my 180 on A-Rod. Bring him on. Now more than ever.

Howl Wolves!!

I found Taylor's quotes about a franchise relocation to be quite a bit less than comforting. He said there was "language in the contract," but that the real enforcement would come from the NBA and the NBA doesn't want a move (paraphrasing). All of that is nonsense. Most attorneys who do a lot of contract and M&A work will tell you that it's awfully hard to bind a successor to a provision once the deal has closed and funded. Secondly, the NBA owners are interested in money. If there's a new market that is willing to build Rod/Lore a new building and the new wolves owners are willing to pay a hefty "relocation fee" to their fellow owners, it's done. In a five year period the NBA could pick up $5B-6B in expansion fees for opening Seattle and Vegas and then another big check from Rod/Lore for agreeing to forgo expansion in Tampa, KC or some other hungry market. Not bad for an industry coming through two money losing covid seasons.

A-Rod and Mark Lore are going to look Glen Taylor and the Twin Cities in the eyes and tell us that they aren't going to move the team. The problem is this time we won't be able to dump them and a lightly protected high draft pick for D-Lo when it turns out to be a lie.

I found Taylor's quotes about a franchise relocation to be quite a bit less than comforting. He said there was "language in the contract," but that the real enforcement would come from the NBA and the NBA doesn't want a move (paraphrasing). All of that is nonsense. Most attorneys who do a lot of contract and M&A work will tell you that it's awfully hard to bind a successor to a provision once the deal has closed and funded. Secondly, the NBA owners are interested in money. If there's a new market that is willing to build Rod/Lore a new building and the new wolves owners are willing to pay a hefty "relocation fee" to their fellow owners, it's done. In a five year period the NBA could pick up $5B-6B in expansion fees for opening Seattle and Vegas and then another big check from Rod/Lore for agreeing to forgo expansion in Tampa, KC or some other hungry market. Not bad for an industry coming through two money losing covid seasons.

A-Rod and Mark Lore are going to look Glen Taylor and the Twin Cities in the eyes and tell us that they aren't going to move the team. The problem is this time we won't be able to dump them and a lightly protected high draft pick for D-Lo when it turns out to be a lie.
Right now...there is no worry about them leaving. The NBA does not want that. That could change at any time, but I am not worried right now.

If there's a new market that is willing to build Rod/Lore a new building
What markets without an NBA team might be looking to build a new arena?

A lot of the markets have newish arenas and/or arenas currently housing NHL teams that should easily be able to do both.

Plus, “veto power” over markets claimed by existing teams.

To speculate on my own question: Cincinnati's current arena needs replacing and they want to do something similar to what KC did with the T-Moble (Sprint) Center:

https://heritagebankcenter.com/whatsnextcincy

Would naturally fit in with Eastern Central, for two expansion teams in the Western.

Last edited:

If the new owners are going to try and move the franchise - it is more likely to be something like this:

a few years down the road, ARod and Lore say they need a new arena, and they will request public (government) funding.

State and local gov'ts balk and say no public funding.

ARod and Lore go to NBA, say they can't survive in Mpls without a new arena, and request permission to relocate.

Under that scenario, I could see the NBA allowing a relocation - with the proviso that Seattle and Vegas are off-limits for a relocation.

so then, the trick for ARod and Lore becomes this: finding another city that either has a newish arena or is willing to build them a new arena.

This pre-supposes that ARod and Lore do NOT want to share an arena with an NHL team. They want an arena that they own and control so they get all the revenue from other events.

If the new owners are going to try and move the franchise - it is more likely to be something like this:

a few years down the road, ARod and Lore say they need a new arena, and they will request public (government) funding.

State and local gov'ts balk and say no public funding.

ARod and Lore go to NBA, say they can't survive in Mpls without a new arena, and request permission to relocate.

Under that scenario, I could see the NBA allowing a relocation - with the proviso that Seattle and Vegas are off-limits for a relocation.

so then, the trick for ARod and Lore becomes this: finding another city that either has a newish arena or is willing to build them a new arena.

This pre-supposes that ARod and Lore do NOT want to share an arena with an NHL team. They want an arena that they own and control so they get all the revenue from other events.
The only point I will disagree with you on is...Mpls will buckle and offer to build them an arena.

The only point I will disagree with you on is...Mpls will buckle and offer to build them an arena.
The city can't do it directly. Their charter forbids anything more than $10 million since the Twins debates of the 90's. It would have to be the state or county, just like the Twins/Vikings stadiums.

Right now...there is no worry about them leaving. The NBA does not want that. That could change at any time, but I am not worried right now.
They aren't going anywhere as long as Glen is the managing partner. Once A-Rod and Lore take over after the 22-23 season, the franchise is in play. My guess is it's Lore's call. A-Rod is "only" worth about $500M. That doesn't get you valet parking in front of an NBA arena anymore. Lore is supposed to be worth $3B-4B, which probably puts him mid level NBA wealth, at best.

I agree. Doesn't make sense to once again move a team out of Minnesota. The Minneapolis/St. Paul media market is the 14th largest in the nation. The only other ones in the top 25 that do not have a team include Tampa, Raleigh-Durham, Seattle, and St. Louis. Tampa and RD are both located in states with at least one NBA team already. Seattle will likely be granted an expansion when the NBA goes through with it....which they will. Move from Minnesota to the 23rd largest media market in St. Louis? I don't know about that. Not sure why new owners would move to the glitz and glamor of Mizzou anyhow. Vegas is always an option. But I'd guess that they would also be at the top of the list along with Seattle for an expansion.

Just wouldn't make any sense to move the Timberwolves from a league standpoint. Would the NBA be willing to tell Arod and Lore tough?

I agree. Doesn't make sense to once again move a team out of Minnesota. The Minneapolis/St. Paul media market is the 14th largest in the nation. The only other ones in the top 25 that do not have a team include Tampa, Raleigh-Durham, Seattle, and St. Louis. Tampa and RD are both located in states with at least one NBA team already. Seattle will likely be granted an expansion when the NBA goes through with it....which they will. Move from Minnesota to the 23rd largest media market in St. Louis? I don't know about that. Not sure why new owners would move to the glitz and glamor of Mizzou anyhow. Vegas is always an option. But I'd guess that they would also be at the top of the list along with Seattle for an expansion.

Just wouldn't make any sense to move the Timberwolves from a league standpoint. Would the NBA be willing to tell Arod and Lore tough?
Did it make sense to move a MLB team out of the 14th largest market to North Carolina? Or contract them out of existence? Both of those things almost happened.

If glitz and glamor is the reason for the move ... then move them to be the 2nd team in Chicago.

Did it make sense to move a MLB team out of the 14th largest market to North Carolina? Or contract them out of existence? Both of those things almost happened.

Key word there is "almost".

Damn. I knew it was bad but this is terrible. Even J-Lo doesn't want a damn thing to do with the Wolves. Looks like she told A-Rod, "If you even THINK about buying that shit team, I'm OUTTA here!"

Would the NBA have any desire to add six teams, and get every division up to six?

NW:
- Minnesota
++ KC ("rival" for OKC)
++ Seattle
Pac: ++ Vegas
Central: + Minnesota
SE: - DC
Atl: + DC

Add three more expansion teams in whichever of these markets would be best: Tampa, R-G, Nashville, STL, Louisville, Cincy (new arena), Pittsburgh

and realign as best works.

It makes sense to move the team when the building can't generate enough money for the owner's liking. The $75 million spent on "renovations" a few years ago solved none of Target Center's problems. The only question is where they're going.

It makes sense to move the team when the building can't generate enough money for the owner's liking. The $75 million spent on "renovations" a few years ago solved none of Target Center's problems. The only question is where they're going.
The Wolves continue to make money (somehow). They aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

The Wolves continue to make money (somehow). They aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

National TV money. Have heard that their local TV and radio rights are some of the worst in the league. Even with a lot of that renovation money going to suites bet the Target Center revenue is down toward the bottom of the league too.

On another note Taylor said their were 4 or 5 other serious bidders in the final bunch. Can't imagine that any of them had significant local money included. Wonder if they all had to agreed to keep the team here to get that far?

If they had to, bet that's why Garnett, after all his understandable bitching about it, faded away quietly when things got to the final stages. Can't imagine he could have put together $1.5 billion of investor money from people who wanted to keep them here.

Last edited:

National TV money. Have heard that their local TV and radio rights are some of the worst in the league. Even with a lot of that renovation money going to suites bet the Target Center revenue is down toward the bottom of the league too.

On another note Taylor said their were 4 or 5 other serious bidders in the final bunch. Can't imagine that any of them had significant local money included. Wonder if they all had to agreed to keep the team here to get that far?

If they had to, bet that's why Garnett, after all his understandable bitching about it, faded away quietly when things got to the final stages. Can't imagine he could have put together $1.5 billion of investor money from people who wanted to keep them here.
I read that KG's group wasn't close to being a serious contender. Nowhere near the amount of money needed.

If glitz and glamor is the reason for the move ... then move them to be the 2nd team in Chicago.

3rd team in New York/NJ is also possible, like the NHL. Also the Islanders have a brand new arena.

Will be interesting to see if long term trends of companies moving away from downtown office space impact this, or not.

On one hand, less big money downtown could mean less demand to stay downtown for the game -- especially getting out in the night.

On the other hand, they made it really easy to drive straight in from I-394 right into the ramp and walk right into the arena.

I don't go to Target Center often and am fairly dumb about it. What are Target Center's problems?

I don't go to Target Center often and am fairly dumb about it. What are Target Center's problems?

For revenue production: they didn't have enough boxes. Though that may have been fixed in the renovation.

The other? There are more seats upstairs than down. Supposedly that ratio is rare in the NBA. They can charge more for those corporate "right off" seats down below.

3rd team in New York/NJ is also possible, like the NHL. Also the Islanders have a brand new arena.

Another team in the NYC area wouldn't help the NBA get a bigger TV deal. Which besides the $2B fee, is why they're thinking about expanding. It's the same reason that the Big Ten invited Rutgers and Maryland and ignored the begging of Missouri.

Revenue is also why everybody wants their own arena. They get to keep all the revenue themselves. That's why Gopher Football wanted out of the Metrodome. The Vikings and Twins got most of the revenue out of it.

Last edited:

Top Bottom