Alex Oriakhi - UPDATED (4/13): Oriakhi to transfer to Missouri

alex oriakhi to transfer from UCONN for his final season. imagine him and mbakwe

looking to transfer out of UCONN for his senior season due to UCONN's post-season NCAA tourney ban next year. 6-9, 240 lbs. imagine him and trevor mbakwe working together in the post. salivating at the thought of it. would be a major coup if tubby could somehow land him for his final year of eligibility, as well as an insurance policy in case mbakwe's is slow to fully recover from knee surgery and/or doesn't get a 6th year medical reshirt season granted. guessing we couuld figure out a way to make the scholly situation work for one season.

oriakhi had a 3.6 gpa for the most recent fall semester. and don't think there would be any UCONN transfer restrictions on him as far as going from the big east to the big ten. and the NCAA wouldn't require him to sit out a season since UCONN has been banned from post-season play next season.

come to minnesota, oriakhi! you and trevor mbakwe would be in dual beast mode. make it happen, tubby! :D

looking to transfer out of UCONN for his senior season due to UCONN's post-season NCAA tourney ban next year. 6-9, 240 lbs. imagine him and trevor mbakwe working together in the post. salivating at the thought of it. would be a major coup if tubby could somehow land him for his final year of eligibility, as well as an insurance policy in case mbakwe's is slow to fully recover from knee surgery and/or doesn't get a 6th year medical reshirt season granted. guessing we couuld figure out a way to make the scholly situation work for one season.

oriakhi had a 3.6 gpa for the most recent fall semester. and don't think there would be any UCONN transfer restrictions on him as far as going from the big east to the big ten. and the NCAA wouldn't require him to sit out a season since UCONN has been banned from post-season play next season.

come to minnesota, oriakhi! you and trevor mbakwe would be in dual beast mode. make it happen, tubby! :D
The only problem with playing any two big men at the same time is the need to then play Rodney at the 3,where he is much less effective.

Seriously? Yes this is a Gopher Hoops board, but many in here (clearly not you) are interested in other college hoops stories.

i think he might have been referencing it as a potential opportunity for the gophers to try and pursue his services for next season. i could be wrong, but got the impression that may have been his primary purpose for the post and he just didn't do a very good job of making that point clear.

Tweet from CBS' Jeff Goodman:

"Kentucky's John Calipari expected to meet with UConn transfer Alex Oriakhi today. Oriakhi has one year left and can play immediately."

Go Gophers!!

Unlikely scenario, but what happens if he leaves (signs the papers) and UConn's appeal is successful? Does he have to sit out?

Unlikely scenario, but what happens if he leaves (signs the papers) and UConn's appeal is successful? Does he have to sit out?

He sits out a year then, the press release sent out by his father stated that he is transfering whether he is eligible to play next year or not.

I doubt it. The NCAA has been using more common sense lately and given what Oriakhi knew at the time, transferring would be his only way to play in the postseason.

The only problem with playing any two big men at the same time is the need to then play Rodney at the 3,where he is much less effective.

If Rodney wants to play in the NBA he will play the 3 starting next year. Very likely EE and the Beast play the 5 and 4. Everybody plays there natural position IMO.

If Rodney wants to play in the NBA he will play the 3 starting next year. Very likely EE and the Beast play the 5 and 4. Everybody plays there natural position IMO.

I think the person that is really benefitting from Andre Hollins is Rodney, Hollins ability to penetrate and dish has really opened up the offense, I think he will be much better at the three with Andre.

Definitely agree, 6'7" is tall enough to be a consistent 4 in the NBA. He's going to have to develop an outside jump shot at some point, might as well be this offseason.

I bet he goes to Mizzou. He and Phil Pressey played together on an AAU team and won a national title. Sounds like its down to Duke, Mizzou, and Kentucky. My gut tells me Kentucky or Mizzou. For optimistic reasons (that I go to Mizzou) I hope he joins pressey.

Top Bottom