Alex Kaliakmanis: Trying very hard not to comment on a program that our family decided to cut ties with.

Go watch the Illinois game ... that play call to run the TE out in the face of obvious pressure was perfect. Short pass, couldn't make it.

Nobody can make that pass for the QB.

Oh I see, an Iowa fan ;)
Definitely NOT an Iowa fan as I finally have our traveling Floyd trophy in my possession for the first time in NINE years. You have still avoided my question though, what are the key foundational components that you have seen recently that we should all hold on to and provide you with hope for the future?

Daddy AK has always been outspoken on social media, generally talking favorably about the gophers. I remember when there was speculation last year about "Tanner vs. Athan," he was a class act and acknowledged, "Tanner is the guy, and should be."

The social media commentary on Athan has been brutal since the portal announcement. It's sad how much fans are willing to gang up on a kid who gave it his all.

While pops should keep his mouth closed, I get why he's defensive. His son is getting mocked, and a lot of bad s*** went on with our offense this year that was out of AK's control.

I think it's a good move for both parties to move on, but I believe Athan was hung out to dry a bit with the offensive philosophy and the WR talent.
Yeah.....as a parent I could understand the desire to try and defend your kid against the morons on social media who are no doubt saying some really really mind numbingly stupid stuff about him and more than likely getting way too personal.

But nothing good will come of it. Said in another thread, why any athlete or athlete's family wastes a moment of time on social media or fan message boards is beyond me. They can be such a cesspool of negativity and ignorance.

A couple of passes...all on the kid...right? So you are happy with the play calling and the way we were totally dominated in the 2nd halves of games? For me this year wasn't even all about the W's, it was about how this team played and was consistently out couched. We were much closer to a 3-win season than we were a 7 win season. If Nebraska hadn't crumbled and the Iowa kid hadn't kind of waved, we would all be celebrating PJ for his wonderful 3 win season. (But I forget, four years ago he caught lightning in a bottle)
See a difference?https://youtube.com/shorts/gVgJF6iV0Kk?si=2QLU9jUTniibLiMz

A couple of passes...all on the kid...right? So you are happy with the play calling and the way we were totally dominated in the 2nd halves of games? For me this year wasn't even all about the W's, it was about how this team played and was consistently out couched. We were much closer to a 3-win season than we were a 7 win season. If Nebraska hadn't crumbled and the Iowa kid hadn't kind of waved, we would all be celebrating PJ for his wonderful 3 win season. (But I forget, four years ago he caught lightning in a bottle)

Wow...this is definitely a take I guess.

Seeing how so many fans are frustrated with the coaches, don’t you think the players might be frustrated with them as well? I think so.

You can't blame a parent in his shoes to want a change of scenery when looking at the offense, his son's development, and the way things went this year.

He can say it's not about some random transfer QB but unfortunately it is kind of all connected. If the U wasn't bring in a transfer QB, Athan could not pick a better QB room to enter. He'd be the clear starter, he'd be playing in the Big 10, etc. I don't think Athan falls into a better situation than what could have been at Minnesota (if he were successful).

It didn't work here because he didn't develop and that meant we had to bring in a transfer QB. Why didn't he develop? There is probably some blame to be spread in a lot of directions.

I don't think anyone faults the parent for wanting the best for their kid...it is the talking about it on Twitter that has us scratching our head. It is a bad look.

I’d agree. It’s not too likely MN will sign someone better.
I'd definitely welcome AK staying and fighting for the job. I'll also root for him at his next stop.

That said, he wasn't very good here last year and while the MN sports pessimist in me acknowledges that it probably gets worse here, we need to see what is behind door #2. Our QB play last year was bad.

The social media commentary on Athan has been brutal since the portal announcement. It's sad how much fans are willing to gang up on a kid who gave it his all.

While pops should keep his mouth closed, I get why he's defensive. His son is getting mocked, and a lot of bad s*** went on with our offense this year that was out of AK's control.

I think it's a good move for both parties to move on, but I believe Athan was hung out to dry a bit with the offensive philosophy and the WR talent.

Well said. It’s possible that both things are true-AK struggled mightily but the coaching wasn’t good either. PJ needs to look in the mirror.

Amazing how fast we turn on people. Last year he was praised for tweeting about Morgan. Not like he ripped the program or anything. Kid wants to leave and he’s being destroyed online, I’d try to set the record straight too.
Why? Beyond the fact it is embarrassing for your kid it also doesn't set anything straight. All it does is make you look overbearing to many on both sides of the argument.

Nothing he posts is going to stop people from thinking his son played poorly or that his leaving is putting the U in a bad spot. If anything it makes it look worse.

Getting huffy on Twitter with a bunch of randos is not the answer.

Amazing how fast we turn on people. Last year he was praised for tweeting about Morgan. Not like he ripped the program or anything. Kid wants to leave and he’s being destroyed online, I’d try to set the record straight too.
I think more people have been celebrating since AK's announced his transfer than focusing on his negatives. That's been done for months leading up to this. Dad is making a potentially huge mistake as AK's prospective future coaches can see all of this in real time. They'll make their own assessments of what AK has for potential, pops' drama would keep me away from a kid when you have a sea of potential qb recruits to come to your program who have no familial drama.

Ohhh NOOOOOO

“Cut ties with a program..”!!! Please tell me we didn’t lose the brother too?! 🙄

If we're playing that silly game, They were also a very fortunate review change and a miracle catch away from 3 W's.
Both are true, but that's why this isn't foundational. It's injuries, bad qb play, and turnovers in general. Tyler and qbs are leaving, injuries do or don't happen, and questionable calls/"miracle" plays happen everywhere.

Seeing how so many fans are frustrated with the coaches, don’t you think the players might be frustrated with them as well? I think so.
There are going to be frustrated players on every team and on every message board.

I think more people have been celebrating since AK's announced his transfer than focusing on his negatives. That's been done for months leading up to this. Dad is making a potentially huge mistake as AK's prospective future coaches can see all of this in real time. They'll make their own assessments of what AK has for potential, pops' drama would keep me away from a kid when you have a sea of potential qb recruits to come to your program who have no familial drama.
No other schools give a shit about his dads tweet if they think he can play.

No other schools give a shit about his dads tweet if they think he can play.
If they have a choice between two guys who appear equally talented they absolutely do (and in the transfer world we live in its a likelihood). If I'm a coach I don't want a family member who is likely to generate controversy in my team's orbit, and whether this would be the case or not, the optics are pretty clear from this case.

Top Bottom