Alcohol-related rowdiness spawns tests

gophersfan

Reaction score
MINNEAPOLIS -- Students who get kicked out of a University of Minnesota football game for drunken rowdiness won't be allowed back next time unless they pass an alcohol breath test at the gate -- one of the most extreme attempts yet by colleges to curb misbehavior in the stands.

The new Check BAC policy applies to the 10,000 student season-ticket holders and is modeled after a program started five years ago at the University of Wisconsin.

It is aimed primarily at fans who get blitzed at tailgate parties before entering the Golden Gophers' brand-new TCF Bank Stadium. The sale and possession of alcohol are banned at the 50,000-seat stadium, unlike the team's former home, the Metrodome, which is off campus and not owned by the school.

"If people come in with a buzz on -- there will be tailgating -- that's fine as long as their behavior doesn't interfere with those around them," said Jerry Reinhart, Minnesota vice provost for student affairs. "Then there will be trouble."
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4485528

I can say with 100 percent certainty that many students were totally bombed beyond all belief. The security guards didn't care, the people scanning tickets didn't care.

That being said, everyone should stop blowing this whole "Check BAC" policy out of hand because it really doesn't exist. People could essentially get carried into the game, stumble in, whatever works.

Kare 11 just reported that 7 students were kicked out for alcohol related offenses last week and will be the first 7 people who will have to use the breathalizers tomorrow.....

....the policy doesn't say you can't be drunk...you just can't be drunk and be a moron by ruining the experience for others, then there is a problem

GOOD. It's about time that they started giving alcohol tests to everybody that enters the stadium besides me and my buddies.

Top Bottom