Al Golden For Coach

gopheraschells

Reaction score
has done a great job rebuilding Temple, up and coming coach who can actually coach

He's my number 1 choice if Brew is canned. The guy has miraculously rebuilt Temple from the depths of hell. Granted, it is in the MAC, but this program was so so bad they got kicked out of the Big East.

I would love to have him as well but believe he will probably get the Penn State job.

You must not have watched his creative playcalling against Penn State. It was identical to what we did against USC. However, even when behind, he still refused to throw the ball. You might as well hire Horton as your coach.

Take a look

You must not have watched his creative playcalling against Penn State. It was identical to what we did against USC. However, even when behind, he still refused to throw the ball. You might as well hire Horton as your coach.

They might as well have had Hellen Keller back there slinging the rock, the Temple QB is awful. Can't blame him for keeping the leash on the QB.

This would be the guy I'd like to see on the sidelines. Just look at Temple's previous seasons prior to his hiring and see how far they've come along. I believe they even went to a bowl game last yr with a 9-4 rec? This guy can coach

That play calling was the single only reason why we had a lead in the 3rd quarter of that game. If we had "opened it up" earlier we would have stood ZERO chance.

And he does it the old-fashioned way, right? That's my impression.

He went into Happy Valley and tried to punch them in the mouth.

Plus, Golden often wears a shirt and tie. Super double bonus!

They might as well have had Hellen Keller back there slinging the rock, the Temple QB is awful. Can't blame him for keeping the leash on the QB.

If you had Chester Stewart as your QB you would long for the days of Tim Schade or Marquel Fleetwood....hell, you'd even take Adam Weber circa Jedd Fisch. ;)

Stewart is that awful...but the guy who was QB last year (Vaughan Charlton) was worse and is now a backup TE.

It would be a smooth transition.

"Owls coach Al Golden seems impressed.

"I think he's tremendous, I really do," said Golden, who played at Penn State and once served as Paterno's assistant."

Golden's Gophers message board just has a cheesy enough ring to work :).

This guy seems to have the pedigree to build success. I am not sure Penn State is a real consideration as I thought JoPa had a little nepotism going on there. I do think that succession planning at PSU includes the JrPa.

Although, Al Golden has shown loyalty to Temple and has refused consideration for any other opening. Maturi ought to put out the feelers and see if this is a reality. I'd like to see what this guy can do with our current roster. Also, he comes from the defensive side of the ball which is what I would prefer from a coach.

Golden would be near the top of my list. Probably has everything we are looking for in a coach. Only possible problem I see would be the Masonesque issue of Golden perhaps waiting on the Penn State job as Mason did with Ohio State?

If we could get a guy like Golden here and keep him, he may be a guy who could bring the program back and keep it back.

That job has been decided long ago. Internal hire.

It has not been decided based upon the info that I heard from a former Penn State player I know who played there in the early to mid 90's who still attends every game and talks to JoePa often as well as the other alumni players. If you have a better source then great but his impression is that it definitely has not been decided.

It has not been decided based upon the info that I heard from a former Penn State player I know who played there in the early to mid 90's who still attends every game and talks to JoePa often as well as the other alumni players. If you have a better source then great but his impression is that it definitely has not been decided.

Do you trust your source with your checkbook?

Who uses a checkbook? Is that one of those things that people at the grocery store use to start a long line?

Al Golden would be a great choice.

I am beginning to think Al Golden would have to be #1, what he has done in building Temple is incredible and that type of builder is what the Gophers need. Hopefully he would see it as an opportunity to build a program in a great city, great stadium, and a fanbase that will support a sustained winning program.

The one guy that is nearly as old as JoePa.

The offensive coordinator? It might be a wise choice. Following a legend is tough and it might be wise to have a old hand in there for a while to transition for a few years. Also, it would be a nice reward for years of loyalty. I wouldn't be shocked if it happened.

The offensive coordinator? It might be a wise choice. Following a legend is tough and it might be wise to have a old hand in there for a while to transition for a few years. Also, it would be a nice reward for years of loyalty. I wouldn't be shocked if it happened.

Jerry Burns?

I'm on board with Golden for the next possible Coach. I watched the Penn State game for about a half, I was impressed enough to like what I saw just in that short time. Seems like a good game manager. I don't think he'd blow 2 TO's 5 minutes into the 4th Quarter, and if we were behind by more than 14 points with 12 minuted to go, he'd probably have a sense of urgency.

I'm starting a new ad campaign when Brewster gets fired, "Golden 4 Gophers", catchy.

Top Bottom