Air Force Academy kicker

A

AAFalcon

I thought you might enjoy this article from the Colorado Springs Gazette:

Air Force kicker no stranger to big stage
Comments 0 | Recommended1
August 25, 2009 10:53 PM
JAKE SCHALLER
Erik Soderberg never has attempted a field goal or extra point in a college game.

But the Air Force sophomore is not unfamiliar with kicking on a big stage.

Soderberg, the front-runner to replace graduated standout Ryan Harrison as the Falcons’ placekicker, played for Eden Prairie High in Minnesota and helped lead the Eagles to back-to-back state titles in 2006 and 2007. The state semifinal and championship games those years were held at the Metrodome. And in the 2007 semifinal, Soderberg made three field goals in the first half, including a pair from 45 yards.

“Definitely those games in the Metrodome were pretty intense, a lot of fans,” Soderberg said. “So I feel like that will help.”

Air Force coach Troy Calhoun agrees.

“I think absolutely,” he said. “Shoot, he’s kicked in significant games. And the thing about it is he has enough maturity that nothing’s going to be too big for him.”

Soderberg finished spring practice listed third on the depth chart but improved over the summer and has displayed a more powerful leg in the preseason. Still, he needs to become more consistent.

“I’ve been having a lot of good days, a couple bad days,” Soderberg said. “I’ve just got to eliminate those bad days.”

Calhoun said one way Soderberg might be able to remedy that is to avoid rushing through his pre-kick set-up.

“Just find your routine, take your normal set-up and approach the ball with some consistency that way,” Calhoun said. “And I think if he does that, he’ll be even more consistent in terms of converting.”

http://www.gazette.com/sports/soderberg-60802-air-stage.html

dont think high school state championship games will come even remotely close to september 12th. The first game in a brand new stadium filled with 50k screaming fans... I think he might poop his pants.

Minnesota Kid

I just posted that because he is from Minnesota, has kicked for state championship teams in your state, and has kicked in the Metrodome. Of course, I thought that some readers might enjoy reading about one of their home state players. Don't expect him to "poop" anything if he's called on to kick in the game on the 12th.

Here's another of our players, who is from St. Paul. http://www.goairforcefalcons.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/wikstrom_wylie00.html

Ya, big high school games are nothing compared to almost any college game. But good luck to him! Kickers are often under valued.

Thanks for posting. Considering Minnesota's problems with placekickers in the past few years, it's coincidental that you'd post something like this.

The instate kids, I don't mind losing to other schools, are those that go to the Service Academies. I hope he does well but doesn't have a chance to hurt us.

At least he can't say he's kicked on our home field before now that we are out of the dome :).

Top Bottom