Ahjany Lee Offered, Class of 2022

I really don’t understand why some people on this board get so negative about a 17-18 year old kid getting to accomplish his dream. If we don’t think UST is a “threat” then why do people care about a kid that by all accounts isn’t good enough for the big ten committing to them? Let him have his moment and let’s focus on our own recruiting.

He said that maybe Lee believe that the coaching would be better. He didn't say the coaching would be better. As far as why he might think he was better, well maybe it's because the TG coach has coached a ton of D1 basketball players - - experience. It's the same reason why some players want to play for Coach K. I'm not saying they are right but they certainly believe it and it's their choice. Not mine. Not yours.

As to your last point, what would qualify the TG coach to be a coach other than the years he has spent coaching? That's kind of an odd qualifier to your question.
A ton of D1 players where? Totino Grace? Never seen him on a varsity staff ever and all of the sudden he’s a HS coach recruiting some of the best talent in the state to Totino Grace? You can say many things but please don’t say he Lee transfered to TG for better coaching.

I really don’t understand why some people on this board get so negative about a 17-18 year old kid getting to accomplish his dream. If we don’t think UST is a “threat” then why do people care about a kid that by all accounts isn’t good enough for the big ten committing to them? Let him have his moment and let’s focus on our own recruiting.
Great post. Kid gets to go play D1 and have it paid for. No way to know all the reasons he transferred.

A ton of D1 players where? Totino Grace? Never seen him on a varsity staff ever and all of the sudden he’s a HS coach recruiting some of the best talent in the state to Totino Grace? You can say many things but please don’t say he Lee transfered to TG for better coaching.
Rocky Krueser was TG, and is a great player. Rebracca, now in Iowa wasn’t 1st Team summit player, Krueser was. Really turned into a great big that bison fans have for 1 more year. I haven’t seen many with his ability to run, shoot and throw down at 6’10 like Rocky. See Rocky’s TCU highlights on YouTube, epic.

No way to know all the reasons he transferred.
230114_908223010.png

I didn't see that. You're going to have to start reading if you really want to have a conversation. I said maybe LEE thought he would be getting better coaching.

As far as him coaching a bunch of D1 players, well, he coaches the following:
Demarion Watson
Taison Chatman

He was also a coach with D1. I'm not sure which players he actually coached, but some of the D1 alumni are JP Macura, Nate Ruevers, Tyler Wahl, Zeke Nnaji, Ellenson, Tyrell Terry, Jericho Sims, McKinley Wright, Matthew Hurt, etc., etc.

How about the Byron head coach?

So it's not out of the real of possibility that LEE thought Carroll was a better coach for him and preparing him for the next level. Ultimately, it's his future and he should choose what he thinks is best.

Again, this is now the third time you're missing this point, I am not saying the Byron coach is worse than that Totino coach (I have no idea). I'm saying that Lee might have thought the Totino Grace coach was a better fit.

So it's not out of the real of possibility that LEE thought Carroll was a better coach for him and preparing him for the next level.
Just for the school season, though? How much does that really matter, when it comes to development?

Obviously the recruiting aspect doesn't matter anymore.

If the St Thomas coach said "hey, they're going to be running almost the exact same system we run, over at Totino this season, so if you play there you'll have a great head start when you join us next summer to start working out" , then I could perhaps buy it.

Again what if he thinks the entire development process will be better moving here. The coaching, the training, the access to better competition dailey, the community, mental health, relationships and on and on.

Again what if he thinks the entire development process will be better moving here. The coaching, the training, the access to better competition dailey, the community, mental health, relationships and on and on.
Bold: here ???

So you're a TG coach or booster, I guess.

What would lead you to believe the coaching would be better at Totino? Be honest what qualified the TG coach to become a varsity head coach other then his connection to Prep Hoops?
I’m saying what the kid maybe thinks. Never said he was or wasn’t. I honestly don’t know anything about Byrons coaching staff. I’ll keep my opinions on TGs coach quiet lol

Geez give it a rest guys, its as simple as the competition he will be facing daily in practice, and on game days. Byron is a town of what 6k, and is playing some low grade talent weekly in the HVL ( I know I grew up in this area of MN) compared to what is in TG's conference/cites. Plus its 1 year to adjust to living in the cites, easy decision in my eyes, the coaching has to be bad at TG to not make this move, and I guarantee you they are at least serviceable.

Geez give it a rest guys, its as simple as the competition he will be facing daily in practice, and on game days.
No one questions that .... so why so late?? Why not a couple years ago?

I can only comment what you wrote. Learn the English language.
Dude, Built and many others here make typing errors. Not hard to see that a mistake between “here” and “there” could happen. Also something that autocorrect wouldn’t catch. Not everything is a slip.

No one questions that .... so why so late?? Why not a couple years ago?
Lee has moved multiple times between Kansas and Byron from my understanding. This only came out late, but I bet it’s been in the works for awhile. He really only came on the National scene last year anyway and he didn’t make D1s top team two years ago .

Not hard to see that a mistake between “here” and “there” could happen.
He would've commented in the last post that he made a typo. He did not comment, because he did not make a typo.

Lee has moved multiple times between Kansas and Byron from my understanding. This only came out late, but I bet it’s been in the works for awhile. He really only came on the National scene last year anyway and he didn’t make D1s top team two years ago .
Wasn't someone saying in the thread that he was practicing with his Byron teammates all summer, before suddenly switching? Why do that? Why not practice with TG guys during the summer?

Maybe the TG coach just decided they needed another piece and targeted Lee, got a booster to foot the bill (scholarship, help with relocation needed to get through MSHSL loophole, etc), and sent the offer out. Wild guessing

If it was me at the MSHSL, I'd chop his eligibility this year in half with a F'ing katana. But I don't get to make that decision.

Because it wasn't until this past summer where his stock plummeted?? Just spitballing
So, his stock was still higher and therefore he could keep staying in small Byron to play school ball -- which again, school ball mostly doesn't matter for development and recruiting as opposed to AAU ball, right? I'm not sure how/why that makes sense, but if that was the reason then I guess ...

In the end the young man did what he thought was best for himself. Who cares about it really
So, his stock was still higher and therefore he could keep staying in small Byron to play school ball -- which again, school ball mostly doesn't matter for development and recruiting as opposed to AAU ball, right? I'm not sure how/why that makes sense, but if that was the reason then I guess ...

Of course he did.

I'm merely saying that TG should not be allowed to be eligible for the boy's championship this coming season. That is 100% of my gripe.

Wasn't someone saying in the thread that he was practicing with his Byron teammates all summer, before suddenly switching? Why do that? Why not practice with TG guys during the summer?

Maybe the TG coach just decided they needed another piece and targeted Lee, got a booster to foot the bill (scholarship, help with relocation needed to get through MSHSL loophole, etc), and sent the offer out. Wild guessing

If it was me at the MSHSL, I'd chop his eligibility this year in half with a F'ing katana. But I don't get to make that decision.

Couple things come into play here. His family may not have known they could move yet. Finding residency and jobs matter. If you think the TG coach hasn't been working an angle for awhile then you don't him. Not all kids have resources to make this stuff happen quickly. Until then, yeah he should still practice with his friends and teammates for summer ball. Punishing the kid won't change anything.

Couple things come into play here. His family may not have known they could move yet. Finding residency and jobs matter. If you think the TG coach hasn't been working an angle for awhile then you don't him. Not all kids have resources to make this stuff happen quickly. Until then, yeah he should still practice with his friends and teammates for summer ball. Punishing the kid won't change anything.
You're correct that I don't know the TG coach, nor the kid and his family.

Speculating that they've been trying to move out of the district, so he could play at TG without sitting a year, and have working on that for some time now doesn't help the situation, to me. In all that time, they've just pretended that everything was the same and hid that from the Byron coaches and team? That's lame as Ffffffff. My opinion.

All-star teams should not be allowed in MSHSL. Kick them out and let them play a national circuit, if that's what they want to do.

I didn't see that. You're going to have to start reading if you really want to have a conversation. I said maybe LEE thought he would be getting better coaching.

As far as him coaching a bunch of D1 players, well, he coaches the following:
Demarion Watson
Taison Chatman

He was also a coach with D1. I'm not sure which players he actually coached, but some of the D1 alumni are JP Macura, Nate Ruevers, Tyler Wahl, Zeke Nnaji, Ellenson, Tyrell Terry, Jericho Sims, McKinley Wright, Matthew Hurt, etc., etc.

How about the Byron head coach?

So it's not out of the real of possibility that LEE thought Carroll was a better coach for him and preparing him for the next level. Ultimately, it's his future and he should choose what he thinks is best.

Again, this is now the third time you're missing this point, I am not saying the Byron coach is worse than that Totino coach (I have no idea). I'm saying that Lee might have thought the Totino Grace coach was a better fit.
A lot of maybes and might haves. Sounds like a lot of excuses. Sounds like you’re a Carroll fan so theres’s no reason to have a conversation. There’s plenty of schools he could’ve transferred to where they play better competition, have a better coach, and have coached multiple D1 players. So why TG. One can only assume he’s used his D1 connection to poach him. Not that I feel sorry for Minnehaha put he poached Watson from them. Seems to be a pattern.

A lot of maybes and might haves. Sounds like a lot of excuses. Sounds like you’re a Carroll fan so theres’s no reason to have a conversation. There’s plenty of schools he could’ve transferred to where they play better competition, have a better coach, and have coached multiple D1 players. So why TG. One can only assume he’s used his D1 connection to poach him. Not that I feel sorry for Minnehaha put he poached Watson from them. Seems to be a pattern.

You asked why I prefer Carroll to the guy at Byron. I don't prefer him, I said Lee might because of he has coached other D1 players.

You asked which ones has he coached? I sent you list of people. I simply said, he may not have coached each one of them, but he coached most of them. It was a list. It was a list and he is coaching more D1 players THIS year at Totino than have ever went to Byron High School.

Now you pivot to, "yeah, but he poached them too and other coaches have coached more, you must like Carroll". Nope. I have no idea if he can coach. None. I don't pretend to. I also don't pretend to know what's best for someone else (Lee). The one thing that I do know is that you aren't capable of coming up with a fully developed argument. These were massive whiffs. You've essentially went from why would a guy play at Totino when he could have played at Byron to why would he go to Totino when he could have gone to Minnehaha or Hopkins?

You're really bent out of shape about a HS kid thinking he might have a better chance to develop at another school.

You asked why I prefer Carroll to the guy at Byron. I don't prefer him, I said Lee might because of he has coached other D1 players.

You asked which ones has he coached? I sent you list of people. I simply said, he may not have coached each one of them, but he coached most of them. It was a list. It was a list and he is coaching more D1 players THIS year at Totino than have ever went to Byron High School.

Now you pivot to, "yeah, but he poached them too and other coaches have coached more, you must like Carroll". Nope. I have no idea if he can coach. None. I don't pretend to. I also don't pretend to know what's best for someone else (Lee). The one thing that I do know is that you aren't capable of coming up with a fully developed argument. These were massive whiffs. You've essentially went from why would a guy play at Totino when he could have played at Byron to why would he go to Totino when he could have gone to Minnehaha or Hopkins?

You're really bent out of shape about a HS kid thinking he might have a better chance to develop at another school.
I’m not bent out of shape at all and not blaming the kid at all. Actually you’re the one that pretty sensitive about the criticism of Mr. Carroll. But you’re a fan so I get it

I’m not bent out of shape at all and not blaming the kid at all. Actually you’re the one that pretty sensitive about the criticism of Mr. Carroll. But you’re a fan so I get it
I have absolutely zero opinion on Mr. Carroll. I didn't know his name prior to this thread. I do understand why you have to resort to this "I know you are but what am I" tactic, because, frankly, it's been your best argument so far.

All I've ever said is that maybe Lee preferred Carroll because HE thought Carroll would help him grow due to the number of Division 1 players he has coached. That's what sparked your little tantrum that has now ended into this weird "I know you are but what am I" thing you're doing.

I really hope that my point isn't really something you can't wrap your head around and your just in some pouting tantrum because Ahjany Lee going to Totino Grace has you on tilt. You cried about his table cloth FFS.

Of course he did.

I'm merely saying that TG should not be allowed to be eligible for the boy's championship this coming season. That is 100% of my gripe.
Thats nonsense. There are kids who transfer to other schools all the time and they are eligible to compete. If it was john james from Byron transferring to TG then no one would care

I have absolutely zero opinion on Mr. Carroll. I didn't know his name prior to this thread. I do understand why you have to resort to this "I know you are but what am I" tactic, because, frankly, it's been your best argument so far.

All I've ever said is that maybe Lee preferred Carroll because HE thought Carroll would help him grow due to the number of Division 1 players he has coached. That's what sparked your little tantrum that has now ended into this weird "I know you are but what am I" thing you're doing.

I really hope that my point isn't really something you can't wrap your head around and your just in some pouting tantrum because Ahjany Lee going to Totino Grace has you on tilt. You cried about his table cloth FFS.
My point is, as a Coach, who is Nick Carroll? What has he done so special that his reputation makes D1 kids want to transfer to TG to develop their skills? That narrative is asinine and completely false. You don’t have a point you’re just talking in circles.

Top Bottom