Ahjany Lee Offered, Class of 2022

I get it the kid wants to save some face...but IMO that's embarrassing to put KU and Stanford up there as your "choices".
The Totino Grace table cloth was embarrassing too. Been at that school for less then 2 weeks and never put on their jersey but your promoting there school? Could’ve did the edits like the other kids are doing these days

This is the strangest year of recruiting I can recall. There was probably a real chance Lee could have went to a number of high majors at one point this Spring if he was willing to shut things down. This probably works out better for him in getting a great education at St Thomas and also starting at the level of basketball that is right for him.

One of the dangers for the Gopher basketball program is one of these local kids really popping (think the O'Bryant kid for Bradley or Wolters for South Dakota State) and getting drafted before any of the kids that go to Minnesota does. The Gopher program has been in such bad shape that it's not hard to see a Creighton/Nebraska type dynamic developing in the Cities quickly if St Thomas gets a lucky break or two and things don't get turned around at the U.

This is the strangest year of recruiting I can recall. There was probably a real chance Lee could have went to a number of high majors at one point this Spring if he was willing to shut things down. This probably works out better for him in getting a great education at St Thomas and also starting at the level of basketball that is right for him.

One of the dangers for the Gopher basketball program is one of these local kids really popping (think the O'Bryant kid for Bradley or Wolters for South Dakota State) and getting drafted before any of the kids that go to Minnesota does. The Gopher program has been in such bad shape that it's not hard to see a Creighton/Nebraska type dynamic developing in the Cities quickly if St Thomas gets a lucky break or two and things don't get turned around at the U.
And you know it will! Probably, because......well, that's just our Gopher/Minnesota sports team luck. (although, at least UST is located in our state)

Having UST get these kids as opposed to the Dakota's will be fun, man we've needed a low to mid major D1 team. Despite the whole tossed out of the MIAC bs, I am rooting for the former rival to do well in D1.
I am also excited to have another D1 school in MN and look forward to rooting them on despite being an alum of a rival MIAC school. Hopefully we will be rooting on more MN guys like Lee. Should be fun!

I'm pretty sure the line would be pretty long to sign up for a free education at St Thomas. I think he'll be fine.

Marcus sure trying to lift up St. Thomas. In his article about the volleyball match he writes that St Thomas has made the biggest splash in Division 1 recruiting getting four star Ahjany Lee commitment over Kansas and Stanford. Marcus isn’t dumb. He knows he’s not even ranked anymore, and that he didn’t have those offers any longer. What a dishonest, at least misleading, thing for a reporter to write.

The Totino Grace table cloth was embarrassing too. Been at that school for less then 2 weeks and never put on their jersey but your promoting there school? Could’ve did the edits like the other kids are doing these days
I know, it's totally embarrassing when I see recruits rocking Gopher gear.

Marcus sure trying to lift up St. Thomas. In his article about the volleyball match he writes that St Thomas has made the biggest splash in Division 1 recruiting getting four star Ahjany Lee commitment over Kansas and Stanford. Marcus isn’t dumb. He knows he’s not even ranked anymore, and that he didn’t have those offers any longer. What a dishonest, at least misleading, thing for a reporter to write.
I'm not so sure about that. I don't think Marcus is necessarily dumb, I just don't think he knows much about college sports. I know that's a strange thing to say about someone who writes about college athletics, but I believe it's just further evident that the Twin Cities are not (at all) college sports-savvy.

I think the problem is that there is even a story for these types of commitments. No matter which way you slice it, Lee wasn’t a top recruit on par with the stars of previous years. My guess is Marcus was told to write about UST and didn’t want to openly speculate that Kansas and Stanford were not commitable, so he let the 17 yo have his day.

UST bound!
Wow! (obviously I'm way late to this party)

Good thing he shit on his teammates, coaches, and the town of Byron, to come play for the Totino's Pizza All-stars ..... for the opportunity to go to ... St Thomas, which he definitely could never have gotten if he had stayed home. :ROFLMAO:

How much is a "scholarship" worth to Totino these days?? Hopefully the "pizza man" delivered a free rental car and gas card for the commutes.

Good thing he shit on his teammates, coaches, and the town of Byron, to come play for the Totino's Pizza All-stars ..... for the opportunity to go to ... St Thomas, which he definitely could never have gotten if he had stayed home. :ROFLMAO:

How much is a "scholarship" worth to Totino these days?? Hopefully the "pizza man" delivered a free rental car and gas card for the commutes.
Maybe he thinks Totinos coaches are better and will prepare him better for college? I see the shade, but not on the kid.

Dumb. Again….

Maybe he thinks Totinos coaches are better and will prepare him better for college? I see the shade, but not on the kid.
What would lead you to believe the coaching would be better at Totino? Be honest what qualified the TG coach to become a varsity head coach other then his connection to Prep Hoops?

Last year Minnehaha played TG in the section finals and won by 13. They then played Byron in the State quarters and beat them by 12. I’m guessing the coaching in Byron is just fine

Last edited:

What would lead you to believe the coaching would be better at Totino? Be honest what qualified the TG coach to become a varsity head coach other then his connection to Prep Hoops?
He said that maybe Lee believe that the coaching would be better. He didn't say the coaching would be better. As far as why he might think he was better, well maybe it's because the TG coach has coached a ton of D1 basketball players - - experience. It's the same reason why some players want to play for Coach K. I'm not saying they are right but they certainly believe it and it's their choice. Not mine. Not yours.

As to your last point, what would qualify the TG coach to be a coach other than the years he has spent coaching? That's kind of an odd qualifier to your question.

Competition day in and day out will be much better, he will be challenged each day in practice at a level that is equal to the best teams Byron will play during the season, that is why you go to TG.

He’ll get 1 (Sr year) shot at the ncaa tournament going to St Thomas. And his squad will get it handed to them for his first few years in Summit league. There’s a reason the gopher schedule is absent the good summit league teams during down years especially.

If his high school move is any indication of the type of guy he is, he won’t be long on a 5 year UST transition to DI.

Last edited:

That commitment video defines cringe. Yikes! I don’t get all the worry about St. Thomas becoming a threat. I don’t see it. I really like BJ and staff so far. I have a good feeling about this regime. I was never excited about Pitino at any point in his tenure. No identity, just slopping pieces together each year to see if they fit.

Last year Minnehaha played TG in the section finals and won by 13. They then played Byron in the State quarters and beat them by 12. I’m guessing the coaching in Byron is just fine
How good was Byron before Ahjany? How good would they be after? People pissed bc a kid left Byron for TG but arent mad that CJ O’Hara left TG for Hopkins. People get way more up in arms about a private school transfer compared to a public to public and I don’t understand why

I understand what you’re saying. But my comment was in reply to the coaching comparison comments

Top Bottom