Ahanmisi - Illlinois game

I won't argue that, right now (and especially last year) I'd take Cobbs over Mav. However, I think the difference is not as big as some make it out to be.

C'mon; for real? Even the stats don't back up your argument except for rebounds. Some of your posts defending Mav make me think that you would defend Tubby against anyone who complained about trotting out Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo for substantial minutes. It is like saying that Clem should have played Hosea for 25 minutes/game. Great kid, great heart, great story, but not someone who should be getting significant minutes.

jamalo said:
C'mon; for real? Even the stats don't back up your argument except for rebounds. Some of your posts defending Mav make me think that you would defend Tubby against anyone who complained about trotting out Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo for substantial minutes. It is like saying that Clem should have played Hosea for 25 minutes/game. Great kid, great heart, great story, but not someone who should be getting significant minutes.

So that .15 difference in assist to turnover ratio is pretty big huh?

I won't argue that, right now (and especially last year) I'd take Cobbs over Mav. However, I think the difference is not as big as some make it out to be. Now, I don't have any stats like GW uses but from just looking at their basic stat line so far this season against BCS/ranked opponents Cobbs is definitley a better scorer and defender (all those steals he gets would be nice to have), but as far as assists and turnovers (Big things for a PG) they are pretty similar, and neither is all that earth shattering.

(Meaningless connection between the two players, Cobbs was recruited to Cal out of HS by Gregg Gotlieb while Mav played for and was recomended to Tubby by his father, Bob Gottlieb.)

Points Per 40 Minutes
Cobbs: 15.68
Mav: 6.32

FG%
Cobbs: 44%
Mav: 38%

3PT%
Cobbs: 50%
Mav: 00%

FT%
Cobbs: 88%
Mav: None

Assists Per 40 Minutes
Cobbs: 4.80
Mav: 4.74

Steals Per 40 Minutes:
Cobbs: 2.56
Mav: 0.53

Turnovers Per 40 Minutes
Cobbs: 4.16
Mav: 4.74

Not sure what I am missing here; maybe L'il Lick still has eligibility remaining!!

jamalo said:
Not sure what I am missing here; maybe L'il Lick still has eligibility remaining!!

Look at assist to turnover ratio. The stat most used to measure PG play. Neither of them is all that great, and are actually very similar. Cobbs isn't some phenomenal PG. He can score, but Gophers have Welch to score, not Mav.

Mav and Cobbs PG numbers are equally not so good.

Make sense now?

No; in every other category other than rebounds Mav falls way short. Tell Doug, though, that I thought he has done a great job of subbing over the past couple of weeks for Mike Greenberg!

Top Bottom