Agree or Disagree...feedback please

calminnfan

Reaction score
Nelson should remain starter the remainder of year and get experience. Gray even when he gets fully healthy should remain at WR since that is probably what he will end up as in NFL anyway. Shortell #1 backup competing with Nelson.

Agree and Disagree.

I still think when healthy Gray gives you the best shot to win due to his running ability. So if the goal is to win two games and make a low tier bowl I think a healthy Gray is your best bet.

Having said that I think the coaches will stick with Nelson and commit to the youth movement. From a long term perspective at this point that probably makes the most sense now that you have pulled his redshirt. Clearly the coaches want a QB that can run and Shortell is just not that guy. So let the kid play, take his lumps, and see what happens.

Agree and Disagree.

I still think when healthy Gray gives you the best shot to win due to his running ability. So if the goal is to win two games and make a low tier bowl I think a healthy Gray is your best bet.

Having said that I think the coaches will stick with Nelson and commit to the youth movement. From a long term perspective at this point that probably makes the most sense now that you have pulled his redshirt. Clearly the coaches want a QB that can run and Shortell is just not that guy. So let the kid play, take his lumps, and see what happens.

I think so too. The freshman got a lot of snaps today on offense, at least. Nelson, Williams, Maye, McDonald, and Plsek all played a bunch.

I'd like to see a package with Nelson and Gray in the backfield once Gray is healthy. Put them side by side in the gun. Don't know who's getting the ball.

Agree and Disagree.

My thought as well...given the overall condition of the Gophers this year, given youth, injuries and remaining schedule, a bowl seems unlikely though and Given the bye week is already gone, hard to see Gray recovered enough to be the type of QB he needs to be.

If you pull the redshirt after 6 games, he better start the rest of the year. Doesn't make any sense to lose the redshirt and then only play sparingly.

Agree and Disagree.

+1. Very eloquently put. I would have said the same thing, only with more punctation and grammatical errors. :)

But, seriously, if we are burning Nelson's RS year, he has to START the rest of the season, unless, god forbid, he gets hurt or something. It only makes sense burning his RS if you are going to commit to playing him the rest of the year.

Two QBs - Gray and Nelson. Go with whomever has the hot hand and can move the team. Gray has the edge running, Nelson passing.

If you pull the redshirt after 6 games, he better start the rest of the year. Doesn't make any sense to lose the redshirt and then only play sparingly.

+1

also making a bowl game this year IMO isn't all that important. yes it would be nice to make one but you have burned a lot of redshirts over the last couple of weeks let those guys play and take your chances the rest of the year.

Nelson should start the rest of the year.

I fail to see what Gray can offer at the position that Nelson can't do, and that's after ONE start. I'm not even sure I agree that Gray is a better runner. He's stronger, and he can probably push the pile a little better, which is something I DON'T want my QB doing anyway. In just his first career NCAA action, he already showed an ability that Gray never seemed to grasp; when under pressure, moving in the pocket to buy time and find a receiver downfield. In the few occasions he did that, he wasn't always successful, but at least he gave the play a chance instead of taking off for a 3-yard gain on 3rd and 8. Nelson actually looks a LITTLE bit quicker than Gray running the ball, a tiny bit more shiftiness.

Bottom line, it all goes back to the O-Line. It's a dumpster fire right now with the injuries and youth. I think they can still put together some drives the rest of the way and hopefully get bowl eligible but I doubt we see much consistency out of the offense regardless of who's under center.

+2
The die has now been cast IMO. Nelson is our QB, Shortell is our backup QB and Gray is a WR who will occasionally serve in a wildcat role.

I think so too. The freshman got a lot of snaps today on offense, at least. Nelson, Williams, Maye, McDonald, and Plsek all played a bunch.

I'd like to see a package with Nelson and Gray in the backfield once Gray is healthy. Put them side by side in the gun. Don't know who's getting the ball.

With the quality of long snaps the past few weeks, we probably need two guys back there.

Agree and disagree on the OP's question. Where Gray plays the next four weeks won't mean diddly regarding his pro career and it's not Kill's job to develop pro players. His job is winning college games.

I think it probably makes the most sense, however, to have Nelson take as many snaps as possible throughout the remainder of the season.

Agree and disagree on the OP's question. Where Gray plays the next four weeks won't mean diddly regarding his pro career and it's not Kill's job to develop pro players. His job is winning college games.

Doesn't developing pro players help your program bring in recruits who have such aspirations (as many do), which in turn helps your chances of winning college games?

And, if it becomes perceived that you "jerked around" a guy like Gray by saying he's your guy at QB, then switching back and forth... doesn't that hurt you from a recruiting standpoint, thus hurting your chances of winning college games?

I guess the question is what is this coaching staff trying to do this year: win this year / try to get bowl eligible, or get young guys experience? Do those goals require different personnel decisions?

Doesn't developing pro players help your program bring in recruits who have such aspirations (as many do), which in turn helps your chances of winning college games?

And, if it becomes perceived that you "jerked around" a guy like Gray by saying he's your guy at QB, then switching back and forth... doesn't that hurt you from a recruiting standpoint, thus hurting your chances of winning college games?

I guess the question is what is this coaching staff trying to do this year: win this year / try to get bowl eligible, or get young guys experience? Do those goals require different personnel decisions?

As per the pro question, the best way to get a kid from college to the pros is to have them get looked at in big games and that is accomplished by winning consistently. So the argument gets a bit circular. My point is that Kill was hired to win college football games and, in my opinion, he should make decisions that will make a more solid program.

You'd have to ask Gray if he's been jerked around. I can see how it could look that way, but I don't get that vibe.

Great Plains Gopher said:
Two QBs - Gray and Nelson. Go with whomever has the hot hand and can move the team. Gray has the edge running, Nelson passing.

I agree that now that the redshirt is gone, you better play him for future development, but how on earth do you think that Nelson is a better passer right now based on today?

Nelson should start the rest of the year.

I fail to see what Gray can offer at the position that Nelson can't do, and that's after ONE start. I'm not even sure I agree that Gray is a better runner. He's stronger, and he can probably push the pile a little better, which is something I DON'T want my QB doing anyway. In just his first career NCAA action, he already showed an ability that Gray never seemed to grasp; when under pressure, moving in the pocket to buy time and find a receiver downfield. In the few occasions he did that, he wasn't always successful, but at least he gave the play a chance instead of taking off for a 3-yard gain on 3rd and 8. Nelson actually looks a LITTLE bit quicker than Gray running the ball, a tiny bit more shiftiness.

Bottom line, it all goes back to the O-Line. It's a dumpster fire right now with the injuries and youth. I think they can still put together some drives the rest of the way and hopefully get bowl eligible but I doubt we see much consistency out of the offense regardless of who's under center.

I have no problem starting Nelson, but he is nowhere close to the runner Q is. Nelson will get hurt this year if they keep running him like that. You are right about the o-line. No way we win another game if they play like that/injuries or not.

Exactly! Not to mention that, at this point, failing to start him from here on out would squander the opportunity to put to bed ongoing quarterback controversies. Let's get behind him, watch him mature and develop, and hopefully bear witness to a rejuvenated offense before the season is over.

At the rate we are putting some of our youth in the infirmary, I really wish we had had another choice.
We burned his shirt, now at the possible expense of injury, he will need experience...so he plays. The only thought I had was splitting some plays with Gray or have them both in the huddle and playing various roles. I'm also pretty sure the staff won't care what I think :cry: However, to take a variation of what 50PH and GII said, I would have them lined up in the "I". One short and one long, that way perhaps one QB gets the ball from center.

Agreed, I think they have to stick with Nelson at this point unless he is absolutely horrid. I'd use Gray as the back up & Shortell as #3.

Agreed, I think they have to stick with Nelson at this point unless he is absolutely horrid. I'd use Gray as the back up & Shortell as #3.

I guess coach Kill does read GopherHole since that is his plan.

For sure Nelson is now our starting QB. I just hope Limy doesn't keep running 12-16
QB draws with him. If you watched closely, Gray's receiving routes were just get to an open
space between the coverage. He wasn't making any hard cuts. They might do some wildcat
With him once he gets completely healthy.

I agree with the move to start Nelson. I think he is going to be pretty special. I also agree with ruppert that they should cut back on the running with him. We need to figure out a way to run the ball with our tailbacks.

I know the season is short and Gray wants to play, but I wish they would let him heal (stay off it for the Purdue game) so he can get close to 100%.

And, if it becomes perceived that you "jerked around" a guy like Gray by saying he's your guy at QB, then switching back and forth... doesn't that hurt you from a recruiting standpoint, thus hurting
your chances of winning college games?

I guess the question is what is this coaching staff trying to do this year: win this year / try to get
bowl eligible, or get young guys experience? Do those goals require different personnel decisions?

DIng, ding ding....you get it! Once players realize the coach could care less about them and is only concerned about the program in regards to the impact on him as a coach (which I believe to be the case), good luck in getting players who have options of going some place else. These players talk folks, and they talk to recruits who come on campus.

I was horrified when I witnessed Kiils blatant disregard for the seniors last season; especially after they played their last game. As bad as it was I passed it off as a one time occurrence that would surely not occur in the future. Wrong. And the fact they he screwed over the person whom he screwed over other players is extremely troubling.

The only way Kill comes back from this is by winning...soon (defined as next season...wins exceeding loses) Kill has quickly reached the Bret Bielma level. Richards are tolerated as long they are winning. The AD went out on a limb for someone he didn't hire; I dont think it will take long for him to decide to cut bait if Kills reputation continues to swing in the direction it's going.

Screwed over. Jerked around.

Wow, these kids have it really tough; full ride tuition at one of the best academic institutions in the country, afforded luxuries most students wouldn't dream of like tutors, accommodating class schedules, facilities at their disposal, etc. This world-owes-me-something sense of entitlement is completely disturbing on a number of levels.

I would be MUCH more concerned if the program was sending recruits the message that the best players won't necessarily play, that they'll stick with seniors even when they aren't the best options, and that there is apparently not a commitment to winning. A case could be made that playing players like Nelson, Williams, Plsek, et al is EXACTLY the message you want to be sending recruits. "If you can play, you WILL play."

Bottom line; YES, these guys who have been here for more than 2 years have been through a LOT. The turnover on the staff has been alarming and unsettling, I'm sure especially to the players. But for the most part that is ending. Kill came with a staff and that staff has remained intact. They're working on a plan and playing the players who warrant playing time. I have no problem with that.

Top Bottom