Aggie student attendance

Texas A&M as well as most SEC schools, as well as Texas and Oklahoma have long standing traditions surrounding football. Those traditions have been supported and protected over the years by the alumni and the administrations. (My aunt is an A&M alum, and her husband is a Longhorn, so I'm aware of much of this). Football games are a big deal, and for many of those schools, it's not only a huge social event for the students, but alumni travel every weekend to games. The story a year or two ago about how after T. Boone Pickens donated millions to the Oklahoma State program, they literally had to expand the local airport to accomodate alumni flying in for games shows what a big deal football is at some schools.

As fun as it would be for that to be the case here, I don't know that it would ever happen. We would need a perfect storm of a decade or two of real success, making Gopher games the "cool thing" to do on campus, so that the tradition would be passed along from class to class as it has at Wisconsin at this point. A big issue I can see with that, is who knows what the state of college football will be in 10-20 years. It very well could end up that the OSU, Michigan, Penn State programs will end up in some kind of super conference with most of the SEC, Texas, USC etc. and we will be in some second tier of football with Iowa, Illinois, Indiana etc. The time for Minnesota to have cultivated that tradition is passed, and I'm really skeptical that it could happen here. I wish it would, but I just don't know.

Texas A&M pre-dates UT and will never consider themselves their little brother. A&M was there first.

So, you went to the Dixie Chicken! That place is epic. The A&M experience is about fun. There are a small % who do
take it a bit far, but for most its all in fun. Still, they make it clear that when you visit A&M as a prospective
student you will either love it or not. Its not for everyone. As they say, "Highway 6 runs both ways".....lol

Either way, it seemed as though the Aggies took their rivalry a lot more seriously than the Longhorns.

I can't speak to your experience but I have to disagree with you on this one. A few years back I brought my kid on tours of both A&M and UT. I was amused because the A&M student giving the tour took a friendly dig at UT. The next day we toured UT and the student giving that tour took a couple of friendly shots at A&M. I thought it was great and actually thought the UT student did a bit more than the A&M guide. I'm guessing they go after each other about the same. It's all good.

Correct- and the Yell Practices are to actually practice those yells.

Top Bottom