AFU Primer for gophersports.com

And again this year

I will provide When The Final Score Is Posted High Above Feature, only here on The Gopherhole each Thursday night during the season. I have already started calculating several games. I will be using a new factor as I outlined earlier. It will take into account the total starts in the offensive and defensive line vs. the opponents. Also all are welcome to jump in and try to beat my guess. Unlike Snowman, I offer no prize, only the satisfaction of beating me.

USAFA

Air Force has really played well under Coach Calhoun. The Falcons will be a very good test for the Gophers.

I'm worried about adjusting to defending the gimmick offense they run.

One note Bayfield

Its USAFA. United States Air Force Academy. Navy the same USNA and Army USMA.

I'm worried about adjusting to defending the gimmick offense they run.

I think this game could be a serious trap game for the Gophers, with high emotions coming into the stadium. Thanks to underemployment and the BigTen Network, I have watched several of our losses over and over again of late, and seeing the run discipline issues we had versus Michigan and Northwestern especially I could see us having fits against the option ground mix that Air Force still rolls out. Seeing how Kafka made us look silly for a half, I shudder to think how silly a well executed triple option could make our team look. We have more talent and speed, but then again that didn't save us from NDSU...

Hopefully we are clicking on all cylinders coming off a romp in western NY, and we put Air Force away nice and early ala Bowling Green last year.

and seeing the run discipline issues we had versus Michigan and Northwestern especially I could see us having fits against the option ground mix that Air Force still rolls out.

You hit the nail on the head and why I'm very concerned that our first home game will not be a victory. We are switching up schemes on "o" twice in three years and "d" 3x in 3 years. We have downgraded in the "D" coordinator position significantly in particular. This, plus a lack of discipline on the Gophers part under Brewster makes this game scary.

This feels like Mason's fiasco against Ohio when the program was starting to build, we thought we could show up and beat them and got torched by an offense that requires focus, discipline and the ability to finish a team you have beaten off. None of these things have been staples under Brewster "coaching" regime.

I agree that the downgrade on D thing is just speculation (though I don't begrudge anyone who wants to make it since Cosgrove has much to prove) but I don't think there can be any question that our D lacked dicipline last season. WAY too many silly penalties (especially late hits). I don't share the level of fear in this game, but I don't expect a blowout from us either.

I'd love a nice solid W where the win is not in doubt halfway through the 4th quarter. :)

I'd be interested in how Cosgrove's D's have faired against the triple option in the past. Certain D coordinators have track records against certain offenses, I was under the impression that Cosgrove's main achilles heel was the defending the spread, and that he had actually faired well at times against pro style offenses. Anyone know if he has a record against the triple option? Either at Nebraska or Wisky?

I do think we have the personnel to defend it though, fast linebackers, veteran safeties and a solid DT/MLB trio. Stuff the FB, string out the QB/RB, and be ready to react to any wrinkles(counters, passes, reverses).

I'd be interested in how Cosgrove's D's have faired against the triple option in the past. Certain D coordinators have track records against certain offenses, I was under the impression that Cosgrove's main achilles heel was the defending the spread, and that he had actually faired well at times against pro style offenses. Anyone know if he has a record against the triple option? Either at Nebraska or Wisky?

I do think we have the personnel to defend it though, fast linebackers, veteran safeties and a solid DT/MLB trio. Stuff the FB, string out the QB/RB, and be ready to react to any wrinkles(counters, passes, reverses).

I don't remember Nebraska playing any true triple option teams while Cosgrove was there. Some teams ran some option out of the spread, but none the triple option.

I just hope our cornerbacks can tackle.

I think it would make sense for there to be some different personel packages for air force, maybe play the safeties wide and the corners deep, or mix in theret/royston at corner. Rallis/Cooper/Lawrence might also be keys with their speed/tackling skills

I think it would make sense for there to be some different personel packages for air force, maybe play the safeties wide and the corners deep, or mix in theret/royston at corner. Rallis/Cooper/Lawrence might also be keys with their speed/tackling skills

It will be interesting to see but to defend the option it is crucial that you have corners that can step up and defend against a larger RB and can maintain discipline and not go after the QB who has the ball on the outside runs.

What leads you to that conclusion?

????

The Gopher defense improved greatly under Ted Roof. He is a highly respected and touted DC (not so much head coach). He has produced strong defenses everywhere he has been. His players improve and develop.

Cosgrove had a nice run a while back, but his last job ended poorly. His defenses got worse as his recruits got better. He was not a desired replacement, he was available. He's no Everett Withers, for sure, but it is a downgrade to go to the current co/co relationship from Ted Roof.

As has already been addressed, the lack of discipline under Brewster has been evident to anyone watching. Nearly cost us games last year (Purdue in particular). Cost us games in 2007 (too many to mention).

The Gopher defense improved greatly under Ted Roof. He is a highly respected and touted DC (not so much head coach). He has produced strong defenses everywhere he has been. His players improve and develop.

Cosgrove had a nice run a while back, but his last job ended poorly. His defenses got worse as his recruits got better. He was not a desired replacement, he was available. He's no Everett Withers, for sure, but it is a downgrade to go to the current co/co relationship from Ted Roof.

As has already been addressed, the lack of discipline under Brewster has been evident to anyone watching. Nearly cost us games last year (Purdue in particular). Cost us games in 2007 (too many to mention).

Actually at Nebraska Cosgroves defenses got worse as he was using his recruits. the recruiting/talent on the defensive side of the ball decreased with his players. His first few years there were his most successful when he had Pelini and Bohls recruits to work with. The only top notch recruit he got was Suh who is a great player but he really left the cupboard bare there, Pelini had to use 4 walk-ons last year on defense because of Cosgrove did not recruit effectively during his time there.

The Gopher defense improved greatly under Ted Roof.

The defense was going to improve greatly regardless of the DC simply due to regression toward the mean. The same phenomenon is bound to occur with the OL this year as well.

Cost us games in 2007 (too many to mention).

You can't possibly be talking about penalties. The '07 team was one of the least penalized teams in the country.

The departure of Ted Roof is perhaps the biggest stumbling block the Gophers face going into next year. I was never sold on our spread coast purism and was okay with shaking up the OC position, but to lose perhaps the best DC I've ever seen at this school was a major blow. It is frustrating too that Withers went on to have relative success at another school, showing that most likely it was the parts we handed the man and not his ability to direct a defense.

Compared to Roof or Withers, Cosgrove gives me major concerns. His stint at Nebraska was a disaster, and I seriously question his ability to recruit going forward. His hiring combined with losing Brock in the offseason has made defense a big concern for me this year.

It will be interesting to see but to defend the option it is crucial that you have corners that can step up and defend against a larger RB and can maintain discipline and not go after the QB who has the ball on the outside runs.

Having watched a bunch of the replayed Gopher losses that have aired in the last few weeks, I hope that Traye Simmons especially maintains his head in our first home game. For every great play I remembered from last year out of BPT I saw two bone-headed plays in the replays from the last 5 games. He looked foolish on quite a few tackle attempts he had on Kafka and I could see him getting rolled by even an average back. A flash back to Gopher tackling of yesteryear.

That being said he should be quite a bit more athletic than the pitch back and I also have dreams of some returned picked pitches.

The departure of Ted Roof is perhaps the biggest stumbling block the Gophers face going into next year. I was never sold on our spread coast purism and was okay with shaking up the OC position, but to lose perhaps the best DC I've ever seen at this school was a major blow.

What made Roof so great? That still hasn't been explained.

Compared to Roof or Withers, Cosgrove gives me major concerns. His stint at Nebraska was a disaster, and I seriously question his ability to recruit going forward.

Cosgrove is only here on a one-year contract. And what about Ronnie Lee, the other co-DC?

Top Bottom