After wacthing these B1G games today...

Reaction score
I feel a lot better about the Gophs W on the road!

We were beating ourselves all game considering all of the penalties and missed plays. That was not the story for other teams from the B1G especially NW, Iowa, PSU and the Badgers. We also looked to have more speed on the field than these 4 teams as well. I would also say that our D looked better than any other B1G team besides Purdue, MSU and OSU.

If our QB can make some throws (and I believe he will) we are going to be very competitive this year.

Seriously, our best players our seniors let us down week one and other lesser known players stepped up to get us the W that is very encouraging to me. Our seniors will NOT let us down week in an week out, they WILL play better most can't play worse.

We're 1-0 with tons of room for improvement and it looks like we're catching up especially athletically to other B1G programs!

The first weeks result are often a chimera. Look at how many underdogs covered the spread or even pulled-off the upset already. Brewster's last opener could have led one to believe that he finally had that punishing running game he coveted. The Southern Cal game last year would have told you the Defense was going to be the Gopher's strength. Oh and Shortell should be starting not just for the Gophers, but he could be a starter for a bunch of BCS teams.

So feel good about the win but we might not know a whole lot more then we did before about anybody. Just more than we did before the season began.

we can compete THIS YEAR. thats what that tells me.

We need to crush New Hampshire - I mean destroy them. We really need that type of statement game....it's been a while.

Agree Parski! I think once Gray connects on a deep ball his confidence will be restored and he won't look back from there.

We need to crush New Hampshire - I mean destroy them. We really need that type of statement game....it's been a while.

I agree. It would help with our confidence, recruiting, etc. We're going to have to play well, though. As I've said before, New Hampshire is 5-2 in their last 7 games against FBS opponents.

As I've said before, New Hampshire is 5-2 in their last 7 games against FBS opponents.

Crushed by Toledo and Pitt the past two years.

Their wins in the previous years were over: Ball St. Marshall, Army and Northwestern, in reverse chronological order. The past schedule I found did not go back any further.

That's like saying we'd do well against Alabama since we beat them in our last meeting (hyperbole...take it easy).

http://www.bigten.org/blog/2012/09/big-ten-football-week-1-stat-breakdown.html

I thought that our WR's getting separation and not dropping the ball was very exciting. I could be mistaken but didn't Gray hit 9 different targets? When was the last time that happened?

We had all of 4 INTS last year, right? We had 3 in the 1st game plus all the pressure put on the QB exciting things happening on D boys!

After watching the big ten I wasn't impressed with anyone! Came away feeling the "good teams" looked extremely overrated and came away feeling that the gophers could surprise several teams

Here's what Gerry Dinardo said

J‏@The_MNSportsGuy

@BTNDaveRevsine @gerrydinardo With Iowa and Wisky playing close games @ home makes #Gophers W on the road look better

@The_MNSportsGuy @BTNDaveRevsine I agree the UGLY #Gophers WIN was BEAUTIFUL

The B1G after Week 1

How I'd rank the B1G teams after one week, considering performance, quality of opponent, location of game, etc.:

1. Michigan State (stout D lives up to billing, Bell & Sims -- with a sprinkling of Maxwell -- hold up the offense)
2. Nebraska (T-Mac airs it out)
3. Ohio State (we know Urban Renewal can kill an inferior opponent)
4. Illinois (solid outing vs. WMU)
5. Wisconsin (it's unusual when Dufus Boy's teams don't squash a cupcake)
6. Michigan (Big Blue learned what Sparty learned 2 years ago. ... program on upswing but not at 'Bama's level)
7. Purdue (Boilers biggest threat to Badgers among eligible teams in Leaders?)
8. Northwestern (same old NU; dangerous on O, awful on D)
9. Iowa (avoided the upset)
10. Gophers (did enough to beat a bad team on the road. ... that's a start)
11. Penn State (Not So Happy Valley)
12. Indiana (likely to hold this spot all of 2012)

Top Bottom