After the National Championship Game, where will we be ranked?

Where will Gophers end up ranked?

• Top 10

Votes: 10 11.8%
  • 11-15

Votes: 74 87.1%
  • 15-18

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

Otis

Reaction score
Just wondering how close we will come to the top 10. With Michigan and Wisconsin losing I'm pretty sure we will jump them but not sure we can pull off an 8 spot jump to get to #10.

What do you guys think?

There's another long thread on this buried somewhere.

I'm guessing #11. Gophs start at #16 in the AP and Coaches polls, the only ones that matter post season.

The Gophs will for sure jump Memphis, Utah, Auburn and Baylor to get to #12. I'm not confident the pollsters jump the Gophs at least two more of Notre Dame, Penn State, and Wisconsin to get to the top 10.

I’d be willing to bet money it is 12 or 13

I'm guessing #11. Gophs start at #16 in the AP and Coaches polls, the only ones that matter post season.

The Gophs will for sure jump Memphis, Utah, Auburn and Baylor to get to #12. I'm not confident the pollsters jump the Gophs at least two more of Notre Dame, Penn State, and Wisconsin to get to the top 10.

Wisconsin lost 4 games. I don't care if they beat us head-to-head, they don't deserve to be ranked higher than us with that many losses, including their bowl game.

Wisconsin lost 4 games. I don't care if they beat us head-to-head, they don't deserve to be ranked higher than us with that many losses, including their bowl game.

Agreed. Pollsters were willing to rank Penn State ahead of the Gophs probably because of the Iowa and Michigan wins. The Auburn win might push the Gophs ahead of both Penn State and Wiscy now.

Will be interesting but looking at AP poll we should jump Auburn, Memphis, Wisconsin, and Utah. In reality we will probably jump Memphis and Utah for sure and the other two may be a bit of a tossup.

I doubt we jump Penn State and won't be surprised if we are one spot behind them in 11th or 12th.

Iowa was ranked higher than MN because of head to head. Wisconsin was ranked higher than MN because of head to head. Michigan was ranked higher with an extra loss. Penn State was ranked WAY higher despite the same record and a loss to MN head to head. I realize I am a homer but it seems like the Gophers got the worst of all worlds when it came to ranking. I would hope the win over Auburn, when paired with a win over Penn State and an overall 11-2 record would push the Gophers higher than at least some of these teams.

Where do other power conference, 11 win, bowl winners over ranked opponents, usually get ranked?

I would love to see the Gophers end the season with a top 10 ranking. That just sounds so good... a top 10 team.

Iowa was ranked higher than MN because of head to head. Wisconsin was ranked higher than MN because of head to head. Michigan was ranked higher with an extra loss. Penn State was ranked WAY higher despite the same record and a loss to MN head to head. I realize I am a homer but it seems like the Gophers got the worst of all worlds when it came to ranking. I would hope the win over Auburn, when paired with a win over Penn State and an overall 11-2 record would push the Gophers higher than at least some of these teams.

Where do other power conference, 11 win, bowl winners over ranked opponents, usually get ranked?

I would love to see the Gophers end the season with a top 10 ranking. That just sounds so good... a top 10 team.

Rankings were always going to be tough for us this year because we started slow against mediocre teams and needed some heroics to come away with victories. There was a lot of "prove it" with our schedule being the way it was. Penn State win opened a lot of eyes. Close loss to Iowa on the road validated some of what people were seeing. The egg we laid against Wisconsin wasn't good but this win over Auburn should settle things once and for all for most people Nationally that what we did this year was not a fluke.

In the end we knocked off two top 10 (at the time) teams, lost a close game on the road to a top 20 team and only other loss was against a top 15 squad. With that said, this was just one year so there is going to be some perception issues when put up against more name brand programs that have had extended runs of success.

Completely agree

I spent way too much time thing about this and charting it and doing research. Here is what I think our neighborhood will (not necessarily should) look like:

9. Baylor
10. Penn State
11. Wisconsin
12. Minnesota
13. Notre Dame
14. Iowa
15. Auburn

I spent way too much time thing about this and charting it and doing research. Here is what I think our neighborhood will (not necessarily should) look like:

9. Baylor
10. Penn State
11. Wisconsin
12. Minnesota
13. Notre Dame
14. Iowa
15. Auburn

I'm reasonably confident Baylor will not be in the top 10 in the final poll after 3 losses and no notable wins.

Not many teams have two top 10 wins when they played (per the AP poll) with no unranked losses. Out of the two polls, MN probably has the best chance to be in the top 10 in the AP as they had Auburn tied at #9 with Alabama.

What I think the final rankings should be.

1) LSU
2) Clemson
3) Ohio State
4) Georgia 11-2
Quality wins (all marquee wins) Notre Dame, Florida, Auburn.
Quality losses: LSU
Ugly loss: South Carolina *I normally penalize a team for a horrible loss but in this case the three marquee wins more than make up for it.*

5) Florida 11-2
Quality wins: Auburn, Tennessee
Quality losses: LSU and Georgia
Ugly losses: None
6) Minnesota 11-2
Quality wins: Penn State, Auburn
Quality losses: Iowa, Wisconsin.
Quality losses: None
Comment: Minnesota won the head to head with #7
7) Penn State 11-2
Quality wins: Iowa, Michigan
Quality losses: Minnesota, Ohio State
8) Alabama 11-2
Quality wins: Tennessee, Michigan
Quality losses: LSU, Auburn
Comment: Minnesota had one common opponent with Alabama; Auburn
9) Notre Dame 11-2
Quality wins: Louisville, Virginia Tech.
Quality losses: Georgia, Michigan
Ugly losses : None
10) Oregon 11-2
Quality wins: Utah,USC, Wisconsin
Quality losses: Auburn
Ugly losses: Arizona State
Comment: Common opponent with Minnesota; Auburn
11) Oklahoma 12-2
Quality wins Baylor (2), Iowa State
Ugly losses: Kansas State
Comment: Played in the weakest power 5 conference
12) Utah 11-3
Quality wins: Washington, California
Quality losses: USC, Oregon, Texs
13) Baylor 11-3
Quality wins: Iowa State, Oklahoma State
Quality losses Georgia Oklahoma (2)
Ugly losses none.
Comments: Played in the weakest power 5 conference. (May have to flip them with OK if they
come back against Georgia)
14) Auburn: 10-4
Quality wins: Oregon, Alabama
Quality losses: Florida, LSU, Georgia, Minnesota.
15) Wisconsin 10-4
Quality wins Minnesota, Michigan, Iowa
Quality losses: Ohio State (2) Oregon
Ugly loss: Illinois
16) Iowa 10-3
Quality wins: Iowa State, Minnesota, USC
Quality losses: Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan
17) Michigan 9-4
Quality wins: Iowa, Notre Dame
Quality losses: Wisconsin, Penn State, Ohio State, Alabama

Copied this from the previous thread. Its long and detailed but I throw it out there with the reasons why the gophers should be ranked #6. It makes sense to me. Regarding weak wins....a win is a win, and I did not dock any team that just barley won a game they should have. However I severely punished any team that had superior talent that lost to a inferior team, other than Georgia who had the most marquee quality wins than any team.

9. Baylor
10. Penn State
11. Wisconsin
12. Minnesota
13. Notre Dame
14. Iowa
15. Auburn
Your reasoning please? As opposed to my thoughts?

There is a chance the Gophers pop into the top ten, that's my heart talking. My brain says 11 or 12.

What I think the final rankings should be.

1) LSU
2) Clemson
3) Ohio State
4) Georgia 11-2
Quality wins (all marquee wins) Notre Dame, Florida, Auburn.
Ugly loss: South Carolina *I normally penalize a team for a horrible loss but in this case the three marquee wins more than make up for it.*

5) Florida 11-2
Quality wins: Auburn, Tennessee
Quality losses: LSU and Georgia
6) Minnesota 11-2
Quality wins: Penn State, Auburn
Quality losses: Iowa, Wisconsin.
Quality losses: None
Comment: Minnesota won the head to head with #7
7) Penn State 11-2
Quality wins: Iowa, Michigan
Quality losses: Minnesota, Ohio State
8) Alabama 11-2
Quality wins: Tennessee, Michigan
Quality losses: LSU, Auburn
Comment: Minnesota had one common opponent with Alabama; Auburn
9) Notre Dame 11-2
Quality wins: Louisville, Virginia Tech.
Quality losses: Georgia, Michigan
Ugly losses : None
10) Oregon 11-2
Quality wins: Utah,USC, Wisconsin
Quality losses: Auburn
Ugly losses: Arizona State
Comment: Common opponent with Minnesota; Auburn
11) Oklahoma 12-2
Quality wins Baylor (2), Iowa State
Ugly losses: Kansas State
Comment: Played in the weakest power 5 conference
12) Utah 11-3
Quality wins: Washington, California
Quality losses: USC, Oregon, Texs
13) Baylor 11-3
Quality wins: Iowa State, Oklahoma State
Quality losses Georgia Oklahoma (2)
Ugly losses none.
Comments: Played in the weakest power 5 conference. (May have to flip them with OK if they
come back against Georgia)
14) Auburn: 10-4
Quality wins: Oregon, Alabama
Quality losses: Florida, LSU, Georgia, Minnesota.
15) Wisconsin 10-4
Quality wins Minnesota, Michigan, Iowa
Quality losses: Ohio State (2) Oregon
Ugly loss: Illinois
16) Iowa 10-3
Quality wins: Iowa State, Minnesota, USC
Quality losses: Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan
17) Michigan 9-4
Quality wins: Iowa, Notre Dame
Quality losses: Wisconsin, Penn State, Ohio State, Alabama

Copied this from the previous thread. Its long and detailed but I throw it out there with the reasons why the gophers should be ranked #6. It makes sense to me. Regarding weak wins....a win is a win, and I did not dock any team that just barley won a game they should have. However I severely punished any team that had superior talent that lost to a inferior team, other than Georgia who had the most marquee quality wins than any team.

If they disregarded all rankings prior to this and looked at every team fresh I think you might not be that far off with this. Reality is that current rankings will factor in so no way we jump that high.

You now what
There is a chance the Gophers pop into the top ten, that's my heart talking. My brain says 11 or 12.
You know what, that was my heart thinking we could be in the top 10, but my brain was telling me top 15. But the tug from my heart was so strong that my brain had to justify its thinking. So we went looking, Oregon has a very bad loss to Arizona St. Minnesota didn't have a bad loss, Oregon had a common opponent with Minnesota, that being Auburn. No way that Oregon gets ranked ahead of MN. The PAC 12 was the worst of the power five conferences and OK gets beat by Kansas State. No way they get ranked ahead of MN. Alabama has a common opponent and that is Auburn and Alabama quality wins were not as good as Minnesota's. So how can put Alabama ahead of Minnesota?

O
You now what

You know what, that was my heart thinking we could be in the top 10, but my brain was telling me top 15. But the tug from my heart was so strong that my brain had to justify its thinking. So we went looking, Oregon has a very bad loss to Arizona St. Minnesota didn't have a bad loss, Oregon had a common opponent with Minnesota, that being Auburn. No way that Oregon gets ranked ahead of MN. The PAC 12 was the worst of the power five conferences and OK gets beat by Kansas State. No way they get ranked ahead of MN. Alabama has a common opponent and that is Auburn and Alabama quality wins were not as good as Minnesota's. So how can put Alabama ahead of Minnesota?
Opps I ment the Big 12 was the worst of the power 5

Agreed. Pollsters were willing to rank Penn State ahead of the Gophs probably because of the Iowa and Michigan wins. The Auburn win might push the Gophs ahead of both Penn State and Wiscy now.
The Iowa and Michigan wins pale to Minnesota's Penn State and Auburn wins

Top Bottom