After signing the No. 1 player from Minnesota, Wisconsin's director of player personnel threw major shade at Gophers

6MAgMdb.gif

I will commence spamming this gif in any thread regarding Kaden. Better dead than red!
Oh man. Thank you. This made my friday! HAHAHA

well maybe after last year they changed hte rule since a good senior class didn't get to touch axe and they realize they most likely won't dominate the rivalry every year for eternity anymore

I mean, I could post photos of non-seniors holding the Axe from previous years if you'd like.

Curious to see what user madison says to this, were the former players in the montage video lying? Did it used to be a thing a long time ago but Chryst or some other recent coach stopped it?

Tight end Jake Ferguson had the Axe and so did safety Eric Burrell. Neither one is going pro and neither one is a senior.

I don't know where stories like this get started. They probably let seniors do most of the chopping because it's the last chance they'll have to hold the Axe, but there's certainly no rule about only seniors getting to hold it.
Fair enough. I do have a problem with Orr saying Fleck lied about this when it was obvious many WI fans even thought it was true. Lying suggests he knew it wasn't true.

You realize this is on video, right? I'm sure you've seen it, so I can only conclude you're being dishonest here ....
After listening to Orr again, I think he's saying MN lied by saying WI only allows seniors touch the axe. But again, it seems many WI fans thought it was true. It's a little hard to understand him when he talks about it.

You realize this is on video, right? I'm sure you've seen it, so I can only conclude you're being dishonest here ....
I have not seen it, I'm not doubting you. Can you post a link to it to put this to bed. Thanks.
I am also unaware of any rule about non-Seniors touching the AXE. Never heard it before.

Last edited:

I mean, I could post photos of non-seniors holding the Axe from previous years if you'd like.

No, what we would like is for you to get a life and quit trying to be a contributing member of a rival team's board. Seriously. I know Wisconsin sucks as a place to live and that's why you live in the Twin Cities, but I didn't know that applied to message boards too.

PS. I don't care if you're from here originally. That's even worse. If you sold out your home state to become a Badger you should get locked in a room with 1980s Jeffrey Dahmer.

Per Wisconsin's 2018 hype video:

Wisconsin Senior 1: "I've never touched the axe after a game"
Wisconsin Senior 2: "That's for the seniors, they've earned it"

Please stop engaging the Minnesota-born traitor "madison". Dude thinks he is a regular here now.

Last edited:

I think when trophies get paraded around after winning them it's mostly seniors holding them, regardless of the program. When the Bell got run around TCF this year I saw TJ, Coughlin, Barber, etc holding it.

I'm sure everyone gets to touch it, hold it, take a picture with it, etc once it's in the locker room.

All I know is all of america is bored with OSU drubbing Wisconsin in the Big 10 championship. We need to step in to at least show a different face.

Wisconsin unfortunately owned my favorite team for far too long. I thought it stopped last year and was confident it was going to stay that way after the Gophers beat PSU. Well it was painful to watch that game, painful to see the top local kid go to that team on early signing day and it’s painful to keep hearing about the axe and who gets to do what with it. Mods please make it stop, kill this thread and end the misery!!!

Win some, lose some.

Kaden didn’t want to be part of the school. Big deal. The bigger question in my mind is why Wisconsin seems to produce 4 star offensive linemen every year while the rate seems far lower in MN. Grade inflation and tip of the hat to U of Wisconsin’s development ability or is this a real phenomenon?
For my money, Wisconsin high school football is better than Minnesota high school football.

That’s just my opinion. I have thoughts on what causes that but no actual idea.

For my money, Wisconsin high school football is better than Minnesota high school football.

Hockey

There are some interesting differences between Minnesota and Wisconsin, which are otherwise two bordering states in the cold, dark, north central US of approximately the same population.

Minnesota's population is highly concentrated into the Twin Cities metro area. Wisconsin, on the other hand, does have a Milwaukee of course, but it's metro area population is a much smaller percentage of the state population. They have at least a handful of other major population centers, and probably another handful of fairly large regional centers.

Another very minor difference, that probably doesn't matter that much for quality, but is just interesting to note: Wisconsin only has 11 man football (at least, the last time I looked), while Minnesota does have 9-man football, for the smallest farm schools.

There are some interesting differences between Minnesota and Wisconsin, which are otherwise two bordering states in the cold, dark, north central US of approximately the same population.

Minnesota's population is highly concentrated into the Twin Cities metro area. Wisconsin, on the other hand, does have a Milwaukee of course, but it's metro area population is a much smaller percentage of the state population. They have at least a handful of other major population centers, and probably another handful of fairly large regional centers.

Another very minor difference, that probably doesn't matter that much for quality, but is just interesting to note: Wisconsin only has 11 man football (at least, the last time I looked), while Minnesota does have 9-man football, for the smallest farm schools.
Wisconsin still has 8-man football but I don't think there are many schools.

MN and WI have the same number of HS players, so any quality differences come from other factors. General perception (for recruiting service rankings and others) has to play a factor with the major WI university being good for 2.5 decades now while MN has been inconsistent. I'm guessing the competence of the local D1 team also bleeds into general excitement for football in the State - where having a really good college team results in the "rising tide lifts all boats" factor.

MN is #12 in the number of HS players but is #25 in the number of active players in the NFL.

Apparently Alabama, Ohio and Michigan outperform their respective states' population with HS football participation - thus fertile recruiting grounds.

MN State is playing in the D2 championship today. NDSU (with tons of MN players and 1 mile from MN) is dominant in FCS. And St. John's was in the D3 final four. There is good football here. I'm hoping the Gophs are now beginning to scratch the surface.

HS FB by State.jpg

Would be nice to see those numbers above normalized by the number of eligible high school boys in that school year.

Pretty shocking to me how low, for example, Florida would be in that case. Alabama grossly would be #1, I bet.

Also, very interesting when looking at those numbers to then see the relative "incompetance", in terms of winning and championships, of P5 Texas schools. UT, TA&M ... really don't seem to matter much nationally.

Granted, American football is almost exclusively played by whites and blacks. Also Pacific islanders love the sport, but they don't have a high population.

Outside that, particularly Hispanics and Central/Carribean Americans (Texas, Florida), don't have nearly the participation.

Another very interesting one is Vermont. U of V has no football team. The state has more population than Wyoming, but I guess very little interest in the sport. Alaska also has no university football team, but more participants.

Last edited:

There is good football here. I'm hoping the Gophs are now beginning to scratch the surface.
No doubt there is good football being played in the Twin Cities. Kids who can help P5 programs win national championships.

But they seem to crave opportunities to get out of MN and away from their families. To be honest, would guess the same for WI blue chippers. But would be interesting to compare to two sets.

No doubt there is good football being played in the Twin Cities. Kids who can help P5 programs win national championships.

But they seem to crave opportunities to get out of MN and away from their families. To be honest, would guess the same for WI blue chippers. But would be interesting to compare to two sets.

Top notch HS players want to play "big time" college football and ultimately make it to the NFL. Why the hell else would players go to Lincoln Nebraska or Tuscaloosa? The pull of family being able to watch games locally is also huge - but usually not strong enough to offset the "big time" factor...thus great New York/Jersey players not staying at home. If Minnesota can show consistent success and be viewed as "big time" and a path to the NFL, more players will stay home.

Top Bottom