After Ohio State, QB Ryker Fyfe may be Huskers’ man against Minnesota - Omaha paper

Iceland12

Reaction score
From the Omaha World Herald

Even after Nebraska was finally able to exhale Saturday night upon learning that Tommy Armstrong was OK, it faced the possibility that the senior quarterback could be sidelined this week against Minnesota.

If so, the Huskers would have to rally around fifth-year senior Ryker Fyfe — something they said wouldn’t be hard to do.

“He’s been here for five years, just like Tommy, so we’re confident what he can do,” center Dylan Utter said.

Said tight end Trey Foster: “We’re completely confident in Ryker’s ability.”

Fyfe finished for Armstrong at Ohio State after the Huskers’ all-time leader in total offense suffered a scary injury with 6:03 left in the second quarter. Armstrong slammed his neck and head to the turf after an 11-yard run, and was briefly knocked unconscious before being carted off the field on a stabilizing board.

Armstrong later returned to the sideline after evaluations, but his practice status for the week is in doubt. If he isn’t ready to make his 43rd career start, Fyfe would be called upon for his second.

And because Nebraska sees differences in what suits Armstrong and Fyfe, a change at quarterback also would require some adjustments during preparations and game planning.

“We’ll look at that as we go through the week,” offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf said. “We’re going to have to study Minnesota and kind of fit his strengths to what they’re doing.

“He’s a guy that’s been a backup all year, and he’s been playing and preparing, so I don’t think there’s anything major. But we’re going to have to cater to him a little bit, too, if in fact we don’t have Tommy.”

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/footba...cle_2a028c88-a4a5-11e6-bb84-8f7a99d0944f.html

Armstrong has a bit of Mitch in him where he can win a game and drop it in his own way too.

I'm not really encouraged facing either of these guys. I could see the team rallying around Fyfe at home too....

You could pretty much count on Armstrong heaving it up downfield for one interception a game.

Sometimes two.

Probably won't be seeing that with Fyfe.

His name has too many y's for my liking.

You could pretty much count on Armstrong heaving it up downfield for one interception a game.

Sometimes two.

Probably won't be seeing that with Fyfe.

To bad Coach Riley didn't get your insight earlier this year. :cool:

Armstrong's running threat is the huge X factor. Without him, defending their offense gets much easier.

Armstrong is a great athlete playing QB. When I watch him play, I'm reminded of some of the great QBs and Nebraska who were great runners and lousy passers (Frazier, Frost, Gill, Brownson).

I will take any advantage we can get (i.e. if Fyfe starting gives us an advantage). I know there are posters who disagree (i.e. "I want 'em at their best). I've never understood that.

We've been pummeled many times over the years when we've had players injured or otherwise have faced adversity. I don't think our opponents and their fans look back at those wins over us (over the years) and enjoy them any less.

Call me crazy, but I'd rather face Fyfe...

Wish Armstrong the best: hope he has a 100% recovery. An extra week of rest would help him reach that goal! :)

I'd prefer playing the backup, but for arguments sake, what if Armstrong plays?

Will he be tentative/anxious, maybe getting rid of the ball faster than he or the offense wants to?

Will he be less likely to run (Can't see how he wouldn't)?. As the previous poster alluded to, that is a big part of his game.

Will he be more likely to stay in the pocket?

Will their game plan change to being far more conservative?

How does he handle it if he gets popped?

Armstrong is a bit like Mitch, he can give and take as much as anything else.

Their other guy is a long time backup / seinor.... the team could rally around that dude.

Here's the latest from Mike Riley: http://www.kmtv.com/omahasportsinsi...updates-injury-status-ahead-of-minnesota-game

Riley said Armstrong is going through concussion protocol and that his status as of right now is "day-to-day". In the meantime, Ryker Fyfe is set to be Nebraska's starting quarterback. Riley said he would get holder Zack Darlington ready to be Fyfe's backup.

Darlington came to Nebraska originally as a quarterback. Riley said he is very hesitant to burn true freshman Patrick O'Brien's redshirt this late in the season.

So, not much of an update but it's not super rosy and it sounds like they're continuing to work toward the backup option.

I'd prefer playing the backup, but for arguments sake, what if Armstrong plays?

Will he be tentative/anxious, maybe getting rid of the ball faster than he or the offense wants to?

Will he be less likely to run (Can't see how he wouldn't)?. As the previous poster alluded to, that is a big part of his game.

Will he be more likely to stay in the pocket?

Will their game plan change to being far more conservative?

How does he handle it if he gets popped?

IMO: I would say "no" to all of these. Instincts set in.

Let's go with the quarterback who has only 46 career completions.

I'm very glad Armstrong appears to be ok.

That said, I would not be upset if he can't play this week.

We probably won't know for sure until Saturday. We have struggled a bit against athletic QBs this season so I wouldn't be upset if Armstrong needs a week off before he feels 100%.

We probably won't know for sure until Saturday. We have struggled a bit against athletic QBs this season so I wouldn't be upset if Armstrong needs a week off before he feels 100%.

Oh, gotta agree with that but "this season"? We've struggled against athletic QB's for many years now.

I don't want any excuses when we win.I'd rather Armstrong plays.

Armstrong is going to play. Seems quite clear Nebby is already positioning for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crazy that a guy gets knocked unconscious and taken away in an ambulance and plays the next week. A different guy takes a big hit but finishes a game -- never misses a play, in fact -- and he misses the next week.

We don't have a real good handle on this brain stuff yet...

Top Bottom