After 3 Weeks the West is Still Wide Open

@MGGopher you can call it excuses by Fleck, but still fact that Maye is special. Some of those big plays were him scrambling and then throwing great passes on the run.

They had great passing and running, and their QB could run for the first down, AND he could throw well on the run. It's basically impossible to defend all four of those at once.
I wouldn't call it excuses at all. He's special and very likely a top 5 NFL draft pick next year. Still, I'd venture to say he had one of his best games EVER on Saturday and a big part of that was the Gopher defense giving up big plays which is concerning to me. There were WRs breaking loose in weeks 1 and 2 as well, but those QBs missed the throws. I have no idea what will happen in future weeks -- and the defense is low on my list of worries -- but I don't think they should get a free pass this week either.

I wouldn't call it excuses at all. He's special and very likely a top 5 NFL draft pick next year. Still, I'd venture to say he had one of his best games EVER on Saturday and a big part of that was the Gopher defense giving up big plays which is concerning to me. There were WRs breaking loose in weeks 1 and 2 as well, but those QBs missed the throws. I have no idea what will happen in future weeks -- and the defense is low on my list of worries -- but I don't think they should get a free pass this week either.
He has some pretty crazy stat lines last year. Best game this year though.
Last year
App St: 24/36 for 352, 4 TDs and 76yds rushing with another TD
ND: 17/32 for 301, 5 TDs, 36yds rushing
Duke: 28/38 for 380, 3 TDs and 70yds rushing
VT: 26/36 for 363, 3 TDs, 73yds rushing w 2TDs
Pitt: 34/44 for 388, 5TDs, 61yds rushing
Wake: 31/49 for 448, 3TDs, 71yds and a TD rushing

Literal video game numbers for about half his games last year. If you like QBR. His QBR this week was lower than his average last year (and his lowest QBR of the season this year).

H
He has some pretty crazy stat lines last year. Best game this year though.
Last year
App St: 24/36 for 352, 4 TDs and 76yds rushing with another TD
ND: 17/32 for 301, 5 TDs, 36yds rushing
Duke: 28/38 for 380, 3 TDs and 70yds rushing
VT: 26/36 for 363, 3 TDs, 73yds rushing w 2TDs
Pitt: 34/44 for 388, 5TDs, 61yds rushing
Wake: 31/49 for 448, 3TDs, 71yds and a TD rushing

Literal video game numbers for about half his games last year. If you like QBR. His QBR this week was lower than his average last year (and his lowest QBR of the season this year).
His top receiver in this game was the transfer from Georgia Tech and Saturday was the first game he has been able to play. He caught what, 15 passes Saturday and provided a whole new dimension to NC’s offense. That really was a potent offense!

It wasn’t fairly decent coverage though. It was literally a blown coverage

Deep quarter player got run by because he was looking at a tight end in someone else’s zone.
Maye still had to hit the throw but that was 100% a self inflicted wound
Might have been a coverage error but Gousby got close. Ball had to be perfect to drop over the top.

Yes, there were defensive breakdowns. We sure are not used to seeing anyone succeed 12 times on third down.

But any defense that faces 40 throws from Drake Maye and his Miracle Wreck from Georgia Tech is going to get bloody.

Especially if they let him run around.

We did get to Maye at times.

Especially if they let him run around.

We did get to Maye at times.

Yes, we did pressure him at times. It's all about how a QB responds to being pressured that separates the great ones from the rest.

On one particular play, Maye got absolutely drilled on a scramble/run. He got up with difficulty after the hit and was obviously in some pain. It was a legal shot, but it really stung him. He shook it off and just kept battling. In fact, I swear he played better after that hit! It was if he was saying, "Bring it on, because I'm gonna beat you anyway!" It was that ultra-competitive, killer instinct that the great ones have. Very impressive.

Some champion QBs are athletically gifted, with arm talent and mobility (and smarts). Like Mahomes. Some are less athletic, but cerebral and tough and ultra-competitive. Like Brady.

What they have in common is the white-hot competitive fire coupled with the ability to completely master the game, no matter the situation. They step on the field and everybody knows they are "The Man".

Top Bottom