Advice from unlikely spot - Ferenz presser

Classof 66

Reaction score
I listened to his press conference today. He made the point that when you have a real stinker of a game, you have two choices. Keep pushing or surrender. I think Garcia sort of said the same thing. Team sports are not about one good game or one tough game. Prefer not to surrender just yet. Team will have soem good moments as they develop. Battle (best player) has not even stepped on the court.

Battle will make us a lot better but reality is we are underdogs all season long unless Payne turns into Cockburn overnight. Or Carrington becomes Steph with a little confidence. Or Ola-Joseph becomes Rodman/Jordan Murphy. Or Henley stops avoiding contact at the rim and becomes a
6-7 Ja Morant. Freshmen gotta play and we gotta get better and hope we upset some teams.

Ihnen and Fox healthy changes the whole dynamic. Now it's play the freshmen ... which hopefully is duh because Thompson, Samuels and Ramberg can't play meaningful minutes on a good team this year or next.

Reality and pumping your team up with up how close they are to being really good if they just play harder, do this, that etc etc are two very different things.

This season isn't about winning. It's about getting the freshmen experience.

If Battle & Garcia return next year, then we will think about winning. If not...then it's 1 more year of getting young guys experience before thinking about winning.

If Battle & Garcia return next year, then we will think about winning. If not...then it's 1 more year of getting young guys experience before thinking about winning.
so year 4 before we think about winning? LMAO, if that's the case he better win the conference in year 4.

So, we shoulda kept Pitino?

No,We should keep Ben for 10 years and see what happens.
We can get an idea of things well before then. Good freshmen this year...and reeling in 5-stars, etc....will give an indication.

Look guys, the goal of this season is to get better throughout the year as the younger players gain experience. We have great talent coming in.

If the end of the year shows a demoralized team that is worse than when we started it is time to start discussing the coaching. If we shock some solid B10 teams later in the season but miss the tourney we are on track for next year (and especially the following year) - You can enjoy the progression of the coaching and the players (this can still be a fun year). If we somehow improve even more quickly than that and make the tourney it is time for an extension for Ben.

Watch and hope for these things and it will be a fun season for you.

[NOTE: If you are just here to complain, - please consider moving to the Wisconsin board to demoralize their fans instead of ours. In this way you can actually help the Gophers. You could become the Builtbadger of the Wisconsin forums]

Look guys, the goal of this season is to get better throughout the year as the younger players gain experience. We have great talent coming in.

If the end of the year shows a demoralized team that is worse than when we started it is time to start discussing the coaching. If we shock some solid B10 teams later in the season but miss the tourney we are on track for next year (and especially the following year) - You can enjoy the progression of the coaching and the players (this can still be a fun year). If we somehow improve even more quickly than that and make the tourney it is time for an extension for Ben.

Watch and hope for these things and it will be a fun season for you.

[NOTE: If you are just here to complain, - please consider moving to the Wisconsin board to demoralize their fans instead of ours. In this way you can actually help the Gophers. You could become the Builtbadger of the Wisconsin forums]
I don't disagree with what you said, but what is bothering me is the defense and opposition offensive rebounds. To me that is a mentality and effort issue...and those types of issues worry me. If you don't have a culture that demands that, I don't think it just shows up mid way through the season.

Top Bottom