Advice for Potential Walk-On

Ringleaderman

Reaction score
I have been training myself since June of 2010 for being in good shape for Football Walk-ons for the Gophers in February 2012. I am continuously seeking advice and knowledge from all different people (mostly former walk-ons) to see what I need to prepare. In a nut shell, I am always more than happy to take in as much information as I can. What kind of drills would they run? What equipment should I bring? Any information helps or suggestions is more than welcome.
Thanks!

Sign up for a Summer Gopher Football Camp and work your butt off. You need to get noticed. Make an attempt to visit a practice session if you can. You will see for yourself what they players are working on.

Don't you have a coach who can advise you?

My guess is that Ringleaderman is not a current HS athlete. I'd contact Billy Glasscock (U of M Director of Recruiting Operations) about what to expect from this staff regarding the walk-on process. I don't have an e-mail address for him. But if anyone else does...

Good luck!!!

My guess is that Ringleaderman is not a current HS athlete. I'd contact Billy Glasscock (U of M Director of Recruiting Operations) about what to expect from this staff regarding the walk-on process. I don't have an e-mail address for him. But if anyone else does...

Good luck!!!

Here you go

[email protected]

This is the best bit of advice that I have ever received as far as making a football team, learn how to long snap. Practice it every single day as often as possible. If you can do this one simple thing, you will increase your chance of making the football team 10 fold. If you are serious about being making a Big 10 football team, long snap as often as possible (a few hours a day). Practice both distances (punts and kickoffs), etc. Maybe ask Billy Glasscock what they look for in a long snapper as far as how quick it gets back there, velocity, way he wants you to snap the ball.

If you think you don't have the size for it, remember that you don't need great size to be a college (even pro) long snapper.

I would do this and then simply try to get bigger, faster and stronger.

Find the biggest, meanest looking guy in the yard, and when all the other prisoners are there to see it, kick his @ss like there is no tomorrow.

First off I'm not a college coach and never played at the college level so I can't give any first hand info. That said, I know some drills and what not that may be able to help but we'd need to know some basic info on what you're working with
-are you currently in HS? If not how old are you and how long since you've played
-what's your height/weight?
-what position did you play? What position do you feel you're best at?
-what do you feel are your strengths as a player and weaknesses? (are you strong for your size, fast, slow, heady, etc?)

I'd say with nothing to go on the best thing you could do right now is to find every piece of info about this staff that you can. If you're a DB try to find anything on coach Sawvel and watch any video of his past teams that you can. What types of backpedals do they use? What coverages do they play? See if you can get anything on him.

Also I'd say email the coaches. Let them know you want to walk on and that you want to do anything you can to prepare. You won't gain anything by just showing up to tryouts unnanounced but you may get a half a leg up by asking them for any advice or drills you can do. You may even be able to learn a bit about the S&C program and do some similar things

If that doesn't work I'd say always try to increase your core strength, and the advice about learning to snap is great. Besides that just work on the drills you already know and that you did in HS. Make sure you're working actual football moves and techniques

This thread can't be serious can it? This has got to be a joke, right? Riiiiight???

:(

Wow, thanks a lot for all the info guys! All this truly means a lot! I list some things that might help,

1. I am currently a college student at the U (Sophomore).
2. I am 5'10, 156. Such a low weight because over the summer I was 194 and 20% body fat, dipped down about 40lbs and lost more than 6% body fat. I am at the stage where I am building back up my body and hopefully gaining back to be around 180-190.
3. I prefer Cornerback, I did soccer and kickboxing and some MMA for several years and taken my size and what I can improve on my vertical leap, I feel like Corner is my best option.
4. My strength is my vertical and hopefully my speed, while I could definitely improve on strength as far as Bench, Squat, and Dead Lift.

I have attended some practices this Spring and continue to attend more. I know how important it is to at least get a feel for what might be ahead and just to see if your face can be recognized from time to time with the coaches. I've talked to numerous past walk ons and such but never really communicated with the staff because I don't quite know how much they can give me as far as information and tips. I'm not quite sure how to ask Glasscock and Sawvel what to expect without sounding very generic (like every other player) and truly show how dedicated I am to make this team.

One thing you all should know, is that I haven't played football in High School nor previous years. I studied the sport and know the rules front and back and have spent numerous hours planning together several workouts and techniques to help strengthen every aspect of a DB.

LOL, this a funny bit. It's probably some sconnie fan messing with you guys......

Walk-ons don't count against a scholarship. Coach Kill seems like the kind of person who would let a kid who busted his tail end off to make the squad be on the team, especially if it doesn't go against the scholarship count.

Back in my freshman year and with the good ole Brewster crew, one of my friends walked into the football office, tried out, and was let on the team...haha, I hope Kill is a little more difficult to walk onto...

Get a copy of Rudy and put it on loop! You need more desire than being afraid to talk to the coaches about it.

Son....the best thing you can do is have a 4.0 gpa. No coach in college football will allow a walk-on onto the team who is a poor student. More than likely your value to the team will be your gpa.

@Diehard,
Yeah, I hear you. I swear I'm as dedicated to this (but always can improve). I just don't want to give the impression to them that I'm a player who wants to get in on personal favors. I want to show them whatever hard work I did to prepare and that I'm focused to improve on any of my weaknesses or strengths.

@Sportsfan24,
I dedicate myself to this from behavior of my studies. I'm a BME student and also wanting to go to Med School after I graduate. My workload this semester is decent...not too rough. But, that's great advice. No, one's ever emphasized on grades before to me when I talk about football.

One major, major problem: once you enrolled as a full-time student, your football eligibility clock started. You said that you're a sophomore, so if you enrolled in the fall of 2009, you would only have three years to play two. With such limited eligibility remaining and no prior football experience, I think you're going to have a very hard time making the team.

@Diehard,
Yeah, I hear you. I swear I'm as dedicated to this (but always can improve). I just don't want to give the impression to them that I'm a player who wants to get in on personal favors. I want to show them whatever hard work I did to prepare and that I'm focused to improve on any of my weaknesses or strengths.

@Sportsfan24,
I dedicate myself to this from behavior of my studies. I'm a BME student and also wanting to go to Med School after I graduate. My workload this semester is decent...not too rough. But, that's great advice. No, one's ever emphasized on grades before to me when I talk about football.

You would be a member of the team......factoring into team gpa and graduation statistics. It's better to have a 4th string DB whose a 4.0 than a 4th string DB whose a very good player and a marginal student.

Ultimately, you have to talk to the coaches. They can give you the best advice. The sooner they know your interest, the better. There are always players that we don't hear about, but contribute by helping the team in practice. If this is something you want, go for it. What's the worst that can happen, you don't make the team? Might be better than not trying.

I've wondered if adding a JV team might allow some potential non-prefered walk-ons the chance to prove themselves. Probably too expensive.

I've wondered if adding a JV team might allow some potential non-prefered walk-ons the chance to prove themselves. Probably too expensive.

Too expensive plus with Title IX they'd have to find that many more opportunities for female athletes, adding even more cost. That's why they dropped the JV hockey back in the '90's.

Top Bottom