Adjustments

Reaction score
First off, i am not an X's and O's guy.

That being said, i was extremely impressed to see adjustments made at the half the last 2 weeks. Syracuse's offense had a ton of success with the bubble screens and wildcat stuff during the first half and none the second. I also felt that our D got better during the second half on the option. Some of the same can be said for the offense during both games

I think the staff deserves some credit.

You are correct, Sir! Half time adjustments are something new at Minnesota. The preceeding coaches did little if anything as the opponent made the adjustments and we kept on doing the same thing. Therefore the seeming collapse in a game. If the first two games are any indication, we get better as the game goes on. The defensive adjustments keep us in the game.

The second factor on defense is the rotation and depth we are developing. Colado has been servicable, Edwards and Kirksey are more than capable. I saw Raymond Henderson in the game. Dandridge, Rallis have been in the heat of the battle and played well. Taking snaps away from the defensive tackles, and rotating them will pay dividends as the season rolls on. Too many times in the past we had our 1st Team defensive tackle in the games too long, and too many snaps. There has to be a number at which the output declines. Air Force rushed 69 times and passed maybe a dozen. That is 70 snaps. Think of taking 60 x12 games. 720, Ouch. But cut that down to 40 and its 480. You will still lose a little something in late October, but it won't be a collapse.

Agree on the D tackles. I thought Kirksey and Edwards were great, especially in the 4th and obviously the coaches did too. They were out there the entire quarter.

It's like they wait to see how many rushing yards we have by Halftime to figure out we're a Passing Team, lol.......

D playes as solid as you can ask with some very big stops down the stretch.......

It's like they wait to see how many rushing yards we have by Halftime to figure out we're a Passing Team, lol.......

D playes as solid as you can ask with some very big stops down the stretch.......

Penalties have taken away any chance to establish a running game even if the O-Line was able to sustain one. Something nobody can really speak to yet.

By the way my favorite penalty of the game was Decker getting the Illegal Procedure penalty for flexing his knees. He did move them but his reaction was pretty funny. His other 25 yards in penalties not so much...

I like that the coaches start the offense out trying to get the running game going these first 2 weeks, and then doing what's necessary in the 2nd half to win. It's really the only way the team is going to learn how to play the Pro style of ball. Now, I hope we don't do this against Cal because we have zero margin for error against them. But against equal or lesser opponents, I expect to see more of the same until the offense is clicking. I think we made big strides from the first to second games, but as others have pointed out, the huge penalties really hurt.

Half-time adjustments

First off, i am not an X's and O's guy.

That being said, i was extremely impressed to see adjustments made at the half the last 2 weeks. Syracuse's offense had a ton of success with the bubble screens and wildcat stuff during the first half and none the second. I also felt that our D got better during the second half on the option. Some of the same can be said for the offense during both games

I think the staff deserves some credit.

Ditto, dwarf guy. I've been thinking the same thing - it is great to see both the newly hired coordinators succeeding in this area.

agreed. WA, their move away from the game plan to the passing will be predicated on the game. So we'll stick to the plan unless we're falling behind and then pass to catch up, whenever that occurs. So I don't thing it will be based on our success as much as Cal's success on offense.

Roof did a lot of substituting players on D last year, then later in the year the hurry-up offense or no huddle seemed to kill us because we could never get the right players on the field in time. I just hope that doesn't start happening to us again this fall. Aside from that, it's nice to have guys who not only know they have to make adjustments, but seemingly have chosen the right ones in each game.

I for one am pleasantly surprised with Lee/Cosgrove adjustments. I personally thought that was the bigger question with Cosgrove. the games I watched of his with Nebraska he never really made any kind of adjustments as the games went on which I think contributed to the poor play by that Nebraska defense. Hopefully he turns our defense into the defenses that he used to have in Wisky. Would love to see the domination.

Top Bottom