Adding insult to injury, took me 65 minutes to get out of parking garage last night

Stan

Reaction score
I park in the University Ave lot. I’ve never experienced what happened last night. Absolute gridlock in parking lots and roads out of the stadium village area. Not a fun way to end a frustrating 2nd half.

This is why Minnesotans have traditionally bailed early on bad games. Gotta beat the traffic is always a useful mantra.

Yeah, I got caught up in that in the North Carolina game yesterday I was in lot 37 and snuck through some back route and made it home to the southern suburbs in about 40 minutes from when I got in my car.

I park in the University Ave lot. I’ve never experienced what happened last night. Absolute gridlock in parking lots and roads out of the stadium village area. Not a fun way to end a frustrating 2nd half.
For those special occasions I carry a flask of descent bourbon in the glovey.

We take the choo choo from Lot 86 on the West Bank over to the stadium and back. One is however at the mercy of the rapid transit gods on when a train will actually appear going west to downtown Mpls from St. Paul.

Last evening the next train was 20 minutes when arriving at the platform that was essentially full. Those minutes counting down seem like forever after games like last night. However, still better than the line waiting for buses to go over to the Fairground lots.

Back to last night, the train that did come was completely empty so it accommodated the entire packed platform, of course packed to the gills. Had a couple standing next to me that his sweetie must have gotten something from the game that no one else got as they somewhat whispered to each other "things." Almost had to tell them to get a room. Fortunately West Bank Station was just 2 blocks so escaped without any greater incident.

We parked at the fair grounds. After game, waited in line for the shuttle maybe 10 mins. Ride over is another 5-10 mins.

Google maps took us a bit of a wonky way over to 280, but there was no traffic at all. $15 to park there as long as you want, free shuttles. Can tailgate if you want, we just parked. Rolled in 15min before game time and made it to our seats as game was starting.

For what it's worth.

(Obviously not an option for folks who tailgate near the stadium)

Left early from the Victory lot expecting a smooth getaway. But no! The traffic gurus in their infinite wisdom coned off the usual two lanes that drain the victory and Ski-U-Mah lots into one lane. There now was a single dedicated lane to empty the Minnesota Lot. The Traffic cop was letting ONE car at a time proceed. I can only imagine the clusterf**k that happened when the game was finished.

Left early from the Victory lot expecting a smooth getaway. But no! The traffic gurus in their infinite wisdom coned off the usual two lanes that drain the victory and Ski-U-Mah lots into one lane. There now was a single dedicated lane to empty the Minnesota Lot. The Traffic cop was letting ONE car at a time proceed. I can only imagine the clusterf**k that happened when the game was finished.
Minneapolis generally is a construction war zone every time I have to go there this summer and now into the fall. Yesterday took a route across the north side as a "shortcut" that almost diverted me to Hudson. Now with FB season underway, some of my historic routes leaving the stadium are now just this side of Beirut.

Must be shovel-ready stimulus monies from 3 years ago finally making it to actual projects and work, especially since a lot of the projects involve taking perfectly good 4-lane streets and eliminating lanes to make room for bicycles and traffic calming. Since the number of vehicles using these streets actually is staying constant, of course there's congestion during construction but it will remain when done too. Progress.

Top Bottom