ADAM WEBER...???????...A THOUGHT...

thailleagle

Reaction score
Sooooooo...I've been watching some games from last year and the first 3 from this year. I've noticed that ever since Weber got injured against Indiana and had to have surgery before the Purdue game he moves about the pocket very bowlegged...

Just look at the first TD against Cal. Watch how he moves sideline to sideline, you can tell he doesn't have the legs he had a year and a half ago. What's confusing is he had like a 40 yard scramble against Purdue last year but they have nearly removed all of his scrambling plays from the Playbook. In 2007, he had a lot of rushing yards and our Offense was heavily built around how threatening the QB Option was.

There haven't been too many plays that Weber calls his own number lately which could be a change in Offensive Philosophy but I also notice that Weber doesn't even hardly attempt to scramble anymore. I've been watching the Syracuse, AF & Cal games religiously and there's been times where Weber has had a good 5-6 yards of space in front of him but it's like they programmed him to force passes instead of running.......

Thoughts?

Weber is the starting quarterback of our team. You want to protect the quarterback. In order to do that you don't call QB runs all the time, they get hurt that way. Also, we play a pro-style offense now, not a spread or option offense. Pro-style offenses don't use the QB draws often. How many times did you see Mark Sanchez, Matt Cassel, Matt Leinart, or Carson Palmer run? Not often because they were in a pro-style offense.

Just my 2 cents.

Weber is the starting quarterback of our team. You want to protect the quarterback. In order to do that you don't call QB runs all the time, they get hurt that way. Also, we play a pro-style offense now, not a spread or option offense. Pro-style offenses don't use the QB draws often. How many times did you see Mark Sanchez, Matt Cassel, Matt Leinart, or Carson Palmer run? Not often because they were in a pro-style offense.

Just my 2 cents.

True but Weber has also been proven to be more mobile then them as well. He started off as a running QB so that means he should still have it in him......

I think he's just training himself to use the pocket better. If you bail all the time you won't develop the good pocket presence a great QB needs. The downside, is that at some point you've got to run, and possibly he's still trying to fugure out that finer point of it all.

I think he's just training himself to use the pocket better. If you bail all the time you won't develop the good pocket presence a great QB needs. The downside, is that at some point you've got to run, and possibly he's still trying to fugure out that finer point of it all.

Put me in the same camp as Eagle. I'm not convinced its because of injury, but even in a 'pro style' offense, the quarterback can take off on a broken play. And we have what used to be a much more mobile quarterback than most, and an offensive line that makes for quite a few broken plays. Personally, I've seen plenty of plays this season that we'd have been well-served had Weber taken off running, and they're generally situations he'd have done it in a second last season.
Plus, it couldn't hurt the team to have a little experience with a scrambling QB, given their current backup and prohibitive future starter.

...and as much as I like Weber (and I do really like Weber) if he's trying to get more comfortable in the pocket to prepare for future work, he might be wasting his time. (Which is a whole other topic...though if anyone would like to weigh in on his odds in the NFL, I'd be interested in what people think).

you guys keep talking about a pocket

when are where are you seeing the pocket

i see our tackles getting destroyed and our interior getting run over

what friggin pocket.......i will definitely have to watch closer

ADAM WEBER...???????...A THOUGHY

I have heard from a reliable source that Weber has no intention of joining the ranks of the NFL, he wants to go into broadcast journalism with an emphasis on sports reporting.

Good decision, he couldn't cut it in the NFL.

Once Decker is gone he won't be able to cut it in the Big Ten.

sorry to say, but anybody who has a chance to be in the NFL will take it any time, Weber is a football player, if he didnt love football he wouldnt be playing, if he has any chance of playing longer and being paid for it, he will, anybody would

Cal ran a three man front and that one guy with the long hair would push off and split two defenders. That was nuts.

Here are Weber's game-by-game running stats for the past 2 1/2 seasons:

BGSU: 72
Miami: 97
FAU: 25
Purdue: 63
Ohio State: 11
Indiana: 0
Northwestern: 89
NDSU: 44
Michigan: 29
Illinois: 30
Iowa: 70 (led the team)
Wisconsin: 87 (led the team)
*interesting to note that our 4 best games were also Webers 4 highest running days.

N. Ill: 30
BGSU: 13
Mont. St.: 13
FAU: 43
Ohio St: -8
Indiana: 36
Illinois: -8
Purdue: 60 (led the team)
Northwestern: 53 (led the team)
Michigan: -3
Wisconsin: 43 (led the team)
Iowa: 2
Kansas: 31 (led the team)

Syracuse: -8
AFA: 2
Cal: -19

I think the reduction in running yards has two simple causes:
1) Our OL - in 2007 we had 9 or 10 games with a 100-yard rusher. Last year, I we had 2. Last year Weber was the Gopher's leading rusher in 4 of our games (with as few as 31 yards:().
2) A change in scheme from the "spread-coast to the "pro-style."

Personally, I think Weber loosens up a bit after he's run a couple of times. He alway's seems to throw better after being"in the heat of battle." I would love to see him get some yards on the ground against Northwestern, just to keep them guessing

I just read on ESPN that we have 257 TOTAL Rushing Yards through 3 games.......

The problem has been both the O-line and the running backs. Griese's comment about the slow running backs sobbered up a lot of Gophers fans who blamed the oline as the only reason for the lack of rushing yards. Those fans thought Andrian Peterson type runners were in our backfield.

At the same time the heralded Jahvid Best was running through holes untouched. It would seem that every now and then there should be a hole for our slow plodding backs to run through. Probably a little of both. I'm not sure if Eskridge is as slow as he is tentative. A lot of dancing when he should be bursting. Bennett, I don't know what to think. He doesn't seem like the same back as before he got hurt. But again, it's hard to flash speed when there is nowhere to run.

The announcers also pointed out one play where Bennett, I think, had a hole and veered left right into a tackle when, if he had veered right he would have had a big gain and, according to Griese, possibly a touchdown. It's not the speed it's the vision and moves.

Go4gan65,

That's why I think the O-line and running backs are both responsible for the lack of running game.

Top Bottom