Adam Rittenberg on why Adam Weber wasn't invited to the NFL Combine

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Craig from Braintree, Mass., writes: Adam Weber has some of the best QB career numbers for the University of Minnesota and was a three year captain and the NFL doesn't invite him to the combine. I find that hard to believe. What's your take?

Adam Rittenberg: Craig, I thought there was a good chance Weber would be invited, but there are several factors working against him. He played in so many systems in college and understandably had some growing pains. While his numbers improved in 2010, the drop-off in 2009 likely hurt his stock. NFL scouts have interest in Weber, and he still should be able to find a spot in the league next year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/23305/big-ten-friday-mailblog-45

Go Gophers!!

I will be shocked if that happens. He turned into a decent college QB this year. I don't think he is a top 96 QB.
I do think he may end up on a practice squad.

Interesting. I hope he does make the NFL, and finds great success.. But my hoping and what I think will happen are two different things. I think he's a bit inconsistent to be a success at the next level.

The way he handled all the change might be enough for him to get at least looked at by scouts. I hope he does

The way he handled all the change might be enough for him to get at least looked at by scouts. I hope he does

I think he will get looked at. Best case may simply be if some team will see enough in him to put him on the PS for a couple of years.

That said, many qbs who have not had to endure all the continual change the way he has had to rarely make it.

If Weber had the same OC and system he would have been invited to the combine.

In a draft where Mitch Mustain is going to go in round 6 or 7 it's no shock Weber isn't invited.

Fact is Adam Weber just isn't a very good QB that's why he didn't get invited to the combine.

Yes, he receives all sorts of praise during camps and non contact drills. He's a workout warrior when he steps into the pocket he gets happy feet.

Fact is Adam Weber just isn't a very good QB that's why he didn't get invited to the combine.

Yes, he receives all sorts of praise during camps and non contact drills. He's a workout warrior when he steps into the pocket he gets happy feet.

He will make a roster. He is plenty accustomed to being told he can't.

In a draft where Mitch Mustain is going to go in round 6 or 7 it's no shock Weber isn't invited.

You must have missed that Mitch Mustain was arrested as part of a sting operation and is facing felony charges for selling prescription drugs. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Mustain goes undrafted.

You must have missed that Mitch Mustain was arrested as part of a sting operation and is facing felony charges for selling prescription drugs. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Mustain goes undrafted.

Felony won't be tried per reports today

I would be totally shocked if he makes a roster. Not many qbs will be leaving the pros next year and plenty of very good college qbs will be joining rosters. Where does someone like Weber fit in?

I would be totally shocked if he makes a roster. Not many qbs will be leaving the pros next year and plenty of very good college qbs will be joining rosters. Where does someone like Weber fit in?

Well....the Vikings were signing guys like Rhett Bomar this year....

Okay, can we bury the Weber bashing. He definitely should have been invited to the combine and may have a future in the league. He has some talent, and equally as important, he's a smart kid willing to work. Wouldn't you have liked to see one Gopher invited to the combine?

Ya but

Okay, can we bury the Weber bashing. He definitely should have been invited to the combine and may have a future in the league. He has some talent, and equally as important, he's a smart kid willing to work. Wouldn't you have liked to see one Gopher invited to the combine?

One would be nice but how about Jeff Wills instead?

If Weber had the same OC and system he would have been invited to the combine.

Wrong. He just doesn't have the physical tools to get the job done at the next level. Maybe if he had the same OC and system he could have won more games at this level, but none of that changes the fact that his accuracy is inconsistent, his arm strength isn't great, and his "it"or "clutch" factor is nonexistent. I'll be absolutely shocked if he makes an NFL squad.

So someone has an opposite view on a subject than you and they are "bashing"?

This has nothing to do with what people would have liked to have seen happen or anything involved with those warm fuzzy feelings in your belly when you think of Adam Weber. It's about the NFL Scouts, and obviously they don't see much to work with. It's cold, calculated, business. Not Gee Shucks, Adam's a GREAT kid, let's invite him. Get it?

I'll second that

Wrong. He just doesn't have the physical tools to get the job done at the next level. Maybe if he had the same OC and system he could have won more games at this level, but none of that changes the fact that his accuracy is inconsistent, his arm strength isn't great, and his "it"or "clutch" factor is nonexistent. I'll be absolutely shocked if he makes an NFL squad.

I'll firmly agree and second that opinion.

So someone has an opposite view on a subject than you and they are "bashing"?

This has nothing to do with what people would have liked to have seen happen or anything involved with those warm fuzzy feelings in your belly when you think of Adam Weber. It's about the NFL Scouts, and obviously they don't see much to work with. It's cold, calculated, business. Not Gee Shucks, Adam's a GREAT kid, let's invite him. Get it?

Thanks for setting me straight, smart guy. My comment was not so much directed at the previous comment(s), but the constant Weber bashing that was undertaken by some, and a big part of the this board, over the past years. Let's move on. If you don't think it makes sense to push for a Gopher to be invited to the combine, go cheer for WI or IA.

No tradition of QB's at the U

10,000 yards in 4 years seems rather mediocre when the team ranked so poorly in passing the last 4 years. Most college qb's don't get 4 years of playing time. He was one of the fortunate few. So he got to 10,000 through longevity, not skill. The overall ranking of yardage was never above the lowest quartile of passing yards in each of his 4 years of playing time. If he would have amassed these numbers over the course of 3 or 3.5 years, then I would be impressed. His poor productivity is often correlated with coaching changes. The only thing that tells me is that he was never adaptable to any scheme. The man who made AW was Decker, Decker and only Decker. Otherwise, one of the years he played he should have been much better than all the others. No single year stands out. Never a top 10 QB, if not top 20.

10,000 yards in 4 years seems rather mediocre when the team ranked so poorly in passing the last 4 years. Most college qb's don't get 4 years of playing time. He was one of the fortunate few. So he got to 10,000 through longevity, not skill. The overall ranking of yardage was never above the lowest quartile of passing yards in each of his 4 years of playing time. If he would have amassed these numbers over the course of 3 or 3.5 years, then I would be impressed. His poor productivity is often correlated with coaching changes. The only thing that tells me is that he was never adaptable to any scheme. The man who made AW was Decker, Decker and only Decker. Otherwise, one of the years he played he should have been much better than all the others. No single year stands out. Never a top 10 QB, if not top 20.

You're right, I'm pretty sure I could've gotten 10,000 yards easy if I had 4 years to do it with Eric Decker for most of it.

Been away for awhile so I thought I would check in and see if there was anything new to report. Adam Weber STILL sucks.......yep same old board........

Next year I can't wait to read the 1,000 "new" thread on how much Weber sucks......

Been away for awhile so I thought I would check in and see if there was anything new to report. Adam Weber STILL sucks.......yep same old board........

Next year I can't wait to read the 1,000 "new" thread on how much Weber sucks......

And your contribution to the thread was the word "suck". Of the hundreds of thousands of words in the English language and you chose "suck".

There are some pretty low-rent fans around...

I wish Weber nothing but the best. To you "so called" Gopher fans who get off by trying to trash Weber...you will FOREVER have this to choke on: NO other Gopher qb's who were at the U of M during the Weber years could come close to putting him on the bench. So, some of the lame Weber bashers will always have to live with the fact that Weber was a lot better than any of the other qb's at the U of M for the past four seasons. And it has been a blast seeing some of you stroke out over the fact that your "special favorites" just couldn't ever get the job done.

Look out any players for the Gophers who want to play qb: these hateful qb critics are going to be watching and are just chomping at the bit to bash, trash and hate your efforts out there on the playing fields representing the University of Minnesota Football Team. You had better be really good...have LOTS of success and bring home LOTS of New Years Day bowl invitations. These fun-loving goofy guys who are so good at bashing are just waiting for you to not please them... ; 0 (

I say: Good luck to all our qb's and I'm rooting for you all to do well!

Re: the nfl...and...practice squad status. Those tough, hard-nosed greedy players and tough, hard-nosed greedy owners are talking strike and/or lock-out for the 2011 nfl season. Bring it on!!!!!!!

Hopefully, the greedy owners will lock the greedy players out for the 2011 nfl season and there will be a big-time strike. (The owners will get paid something like 4 billion by the foolish tv networks no matter what...so stick it to 'em owners!" The greedy players will talk "tough" for a while and then cave and come begging for crumbs when the talks start getting serious. I still hope for a LONG lock-out though!

Top Bottom