Adam Rittenberg on BT COY: I would be hesitant to give the award to Kill

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Rittenberg:

Enrique from Grand Rapids, Mich., writes: With respect to the Coach of the Year poll, I have to tip my hat to Jerry Kill (to this point). As a Michigan State fan, I'm thrilled with what Mark Dantonio has accomplished so far this year, Urban Meyer's streak is incredibly impressive, and Gary Andersen has done a great job in transitioning to the new role. But if you were to ask nearly any fan of the Big Ten if they expected Minnesota to be 8-2 at this point with all the trials they've been through, I guarantee you'd get a "no." Don't forget, Dantonio won the Big Ten award in 2010; the same year he was forced to take a short leave of absence due to health concerns. I think that award was as much for fill-in Don Treadwell as it was for Dantonio. And Meyer may already be suffering from the same high expectations that Jim Tressel dealt with, which ultimately resulted in no awards for him. If Minnesota finishes 9-3 (with a win over either Wisconsin or MSU), do you see Kill edging out what will likely be a 12-0 Meyer?

Adam Rittenberg: The Minnesota story is a great one, not just for the Big Ten but nationally. You can't say enough about what that coaching staff did during Jerry Kill's absence. While you bring up a good point about 2010, the award doesn't go to a staff, just a head coach, and I would be hesitant to give the award to Kill. I'd rather see Minnesota's staff win the Orange Bowl Courage Award. Urban Meyer should be the Big Ten Coach of the Year. He has yet to lose a game in two seasons and shouldn't be punished for coaching Ohio State, like Tressel was. Minnesota is a great staff story, but Meyer should win this award or its title should be changed to most improved coach or something like that.

Glen from Elizabeth City, N.C., writes: I am a University of Minnesota alum thrilled about the team's success, but I doubt the Gophers will be able to come close to winning back Paul Bunyan's ax on Saturday. Wisconsin seems underrated by the polls. Would you agree that the pollsters are still unfairly penalizing the Badgers for that fluke loss at Arizona State?

Adam Rittenberg: I think so, Glen, but the bigger thing is voters aren't paying attention to Wisconsin and really studying what the Badgers are doing. A big part of that is the Big Ten's relative weakness and the fact Wisconsin hasn't had any real marquee games since Ohio State. But 3-2 teams tend to get written off, even if one of the losses was cloaked in controversy, until the schedule gives folks a reason to pay attention. Here's hoping this week's game in Minneapolis increases the exposure for both Wisconsin and Minnesota.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/89460/big-ten-friday-mailblog-164

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom