Adam Rittenberg: Michigan State 38, Minnesota 10:

BleedGopher

Reaction score

Can this guy review my stock choices?

I think he is spot on, but I will let you know for sure after the game.

You do realize that a few key turnovers could cause this to balloon to 52 - 10, don't you....

It will be something like this. I just don't think the game will be close regardless of what the final score is. They have very good running backs (can't figure out why their running game has been struggling) and we simply have been unable (again) to stop the run this season.

My personal belief is that Michigan State is not that good (only really good win was Wisconsin).

Unfortunately we are horrible. Closer than many think, 42-28

My personal belief is that Michigan State is not that good (only really good win was Wisconsin).

Unfortunately we are horrible. Closer than many think, 42-28

Yeah, it will be 42-14 with about 10 minutes left and Weber pads his stats once again with a pair of meaningless TD's against the MSU student managers and some members of the band that will get into the game....

Seeing as how Michigan State is solid on both sides of the ball and we can't score or stop anybody...I'm gonna go with 42-24. The game is close for about a quarter and a half with Mich St. taking a comfortable 17 point lead going into the half and blowing it open in the 3rd. 35-10 at the start of the 4th when world renowned stat padder Adam Weber puts on a show and throws 2 of the most incredibly meaningless touchdown passes late in the game...

It will be something like this. I just don't think the game will be close regardless of what the final score is. They have very good running backs (can't figure out why their running game has been struggling) and we simply have been unable (again) to stop the run this season.

MSU's struggles the past three weeks are a culmination of issues. Illinois and NU sold out to stop the run leaving the passing game the only true option and Cousins was able to pick them apart. MSU lost a huge part of their offense early in the NU game when Keshawn Martin went out with an injury and has not been able to play since with an undisclosed injury. Also, MSU's weak link in the OL has been exposed in the person of John Stipek, the center. Stipek has transformed himself into a serviceable center after his first two years as a DT, but he often gets beat by more talented defensive linemen. Physical linemen can simply manhandle him, while quick linemen can blow by him before he has a chance to get a pad on them.

The Iowa game saw the Hawkeye front seven simply overpower MSU's offensive line (especially the center as explained above). MSU lost a starting OL (McDonald) early in the contest, but even if he were healthy and able to play I doubt he would have been much help as Iowa was playing several yards deep in the MSU backfield all game. MSU couldn't run the ball and Cousins had little time to sit in the pocket and look for open receivers like he did against the Illini and NU. I have to give the Iowa defensive staff credit as they designed a terrific scheme and were very perceptive in picking up tendencies because even on those rare occasions that Cousins had time to throw they had a DB in the proper place to make a play on the ball.

The last thing that is hurting the MSU running game is the fact the true freshman Le'Veon Bell has hit the freshman wall as it applies to endurance. His effectiveness has been greatly reduced because he simply looks tired and beat after having played in the first five games. I don't expect him to be much of a factor this weekend unless he somehow manages to play through his slump and catch a second wind. Look for Baker and Caper to see more playing time as both are effective runners. Caper is a little more of a straight line runner while Baker has the ability to juke a defender and out run people with his speed. But like I mentioned above all this is predicated on the MSU OL performing better than they have the past three weeks.

Defensively MSU is really banged up. Two of the regular DT's that are used in the four-man rotation are hobbled. The secondary has lost a couple of players due to head injuries resulting in MSU to dig deep into their depth and play young and very inexperienced players.

If the Gophers can get an early score and get the MSU defense playing back on their heels this could be a very tight game.

Top Bottom