Adam Rittenberg: Can you wake me when Minnesota finally starts playing someone?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN's Big Ten Blog:

WESTERN ILLINOIS at MINNESOTA

Rittenberg: Can you wake me when Minnesota finally starts playing someone? Quarterback Philip Nelson adds two more rushing scores as the Gophers pull away early in the third quarter following a Ra'Shede Hageman forced fumble. Then we can look ahead to San Jose State. ... Minnesota 37, Western Illinois 17

Bennett: There's not much interesting about this game, except that we get to throw around the word "Leathernecks." It's a good week to get Mitch Leidner some experience. ... Minnesota 35, Western Illinois 13

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/83631/big-ten-predictions-week-3-3

Go Gophers!!

Stay asleep, Rittenberg, we will wake you up when we want to hear from you.

Stay asleep, Rittenberg, we will wake you up when we want to hear from you.
+1 I love it how some guys think they are more important than the team they write about.

I am sorry if some of you make like Adam Rittenberg, but he is the definition of those who could not play write about it. He is a glorified waterboy growing up wanting to play with the big kids and they patted him on the head and mocked him behind his back. Bennett may be a tool because he tended not to do much research, but I give Rittenberg zero respect and this is before this comment. When has he ever made this comment about Wisconsin and their horrific non-conference scheduling?

Anybody remember back when Bennett said that if the Gophers won the Legends division, he would let Gopher fans tar and feather him in Indy at the Conference Title game. Why, Why WHY can't things ever work out for us?!?

So are we really to the point where no one has any sense of humor left at all? He started his write-up with a small joke that isn't far from the truth and people are getting all bent out of shape about it. Fact is we haven't played anyone to this point and I would bet if Wisconsin was playing another creampuff this week rather than ASU he would have said something similar to start their write-up.

I know this only applies to some of you but anyone that read what he wrote and got offended needs to take a deep breath and relax, it was a throwaway comment by a national writer about a crappy matchup between a Big Ten team and an FCS team.

Anybody remember back when Bennett said that if the Gophers won the Legends division, he would let Gopher fans tar and feather him in Indy at the Conference Title game. Why, Why WHY can't things ever work out for us?!?

+1! Man, that would be great!!

So are we really to the point where no one has any sense of humor left at all? He started his write-up with a small joke that isn't far from the truth and people are getting all bent out of shape about it. Fact is we haven't played anyone to this point and I would bet if Wisconsin was playing another creampuff this week rather than ASU he would have said something similar to start their write-up.

I know this only applies to some of you but anyone that read what he wrote and got offended needs to take a deep breath and relax, it was a throwaway comment by a national writer about a crappy matchup between a Big Ten team and an FCS team.

This. Yes Wisconsin has played two terrible teams but they're playing a much more challenging game this week. We're on our 3rd cream puff in a row. The comment is probably unnecessary but he's not wrong.

So he would feel better if the SJSU game was before the Western Illinois game?

Meh. I'm not too wound up over this. Rittenburg is getting trollish lately (used to be really really solid, I think Bennett's rubbing off on him), but really, he's got a point.

Just too bad he forgot about the piss poor non-conference schedule Wisky had during their non-conference win streak...

When has he ever made this comment about Wisconsin and their horrific non-conference scheduling?

How is traveling to Oregon State and Arizona State in back to back years horrific?

Nevermind, LSU next year in Houston and Alabama in 2015 in Dallas.

This. Yes Wisconsin has played two terrible teams but they're playing a much more challenging game this week. We're on our 3rd cream puff in a row. The comment is probably unnecessary but he's not wrong.

So would it be better if we switched the weeks of the Western ILL. and San Jose St. games? Does that all of a sudden make our non conference schedule much tougher? Ohio St. plays 3 creampuffs in their non conference schedule as well. If anything, that's worse because they are a much better program.

For some reason many believe average/below average programs shouldn't be playing creampuffs but it is okay for the good programs. Don't understand that.

How is traveling to Oregon State and Arizona State in back to back years horrific?

Nevermind, LSU next year in Houston and Alabama in 2015 in Dallas.

THis is not a recent problem for Wisconsin, they have been doing this for at least 20 years. THey have been ripped continuely in the national press for their non-conference scheduling. I will also admit that I was also not a fan of our scheduling during Mason years where it seemed like we played the MAC All-Stars and a D1AA program. I was also not a fan of dropping UNC from the schedule, but it is not as if we could see that one coming. It really came out of the blue.

Schools have tried to schedule with Wisconsin from Notre Dame, Texas and Florida State to name a few; but they traditionally played it safe in the pre-playoff era. Is it a good strategy, maybe. You nail most if not all guaranteed wins; but if you look back their scheduling really suffered. It all goes back to when they had Colorado scheduled when the Buffs when Bill McCartney was coach. They played a home at home and Colorado rolled them. The game was scheduled prior Richter showing up and they had them both national televised during prime time. Since then, they scaled back considerably. Most times it worked in their favor, but sometimes it bit them. They scheduled Oregon mid 90's before their Rose Bowl against Penn State and then they got hot under Harrington for the game in Eugene. They were invited to play Syracuse in the Kick Off Classic (money payout and extra game). Plus they scheduled Fresno State, that turned out to be the year they took off which I believe was either 99 or 00.

The BCS teams that they would schedule were programs that were having trouble at the time, West Virginia during late Nehlan which really turned into early Rich Rod who were not good early, North Carolina during the Bunning years. Washington State when Duba could not buy a game. You may even notice Boise State on their schedule once. It was the first year they made the jump in the only year Houston Nutt was their coach and they went 3-8. Hell, they bought out of games as well to change the location or not even going to the teams field choosing rather to play at home instead Fresno one year and completely buying out not to play at Washington State (granted Washington State was brutal).

Now that we have gotten into the playoff era, their scheduling has gotten considerably better with the Neutral site games with LSU and the invite to JerryWorld against Alabama. Remember they did not schedule it, they were invited to play. They also scheduled Virginia Tech as well which is weird because they actually scheduled them when they were good.

Overall, there non conference scheduling has been bad. Even the Wisconsin press were ripping them for it.

This is just one example of what Scout said last year of their non-conference scheduling to show the thought process.

Wisconsin

Non-conference games with Northern Iowa, at Oregon State, Utah State and UTEP for a team that has played in the Rose Bowl the last two years? Props to Wisconsin for scheduling a BCS team (Oregon State) but the Beavers went 3-9 last year. Sure, they may be better this year but the bottom line is that this schedule isn't very challenging.

People are thin skinned here, unlike a leatherneck.

So would it be better if we switched the weeks of the Western ILL. and San Jose St. games? Does that all of a sudden make our non conference schedule much tougher? Ohio St. plays 3 creampuffs in their non conference schedule as well. If anything, that's worse because they are a much better program.

For some reason many believe average/below average programs shouldn't be playing creampuffs but it is okay for the good programs. Don't understand that.

In this case Rittenburg wasn't even really bashing our non-conf schedule just making the point through humor that we have not played anyone yet. Is he wrong? We have played 2 of the worst teams in D1 to date. He was not judging the program or making fun of the Gophers he was just pointing out that this is the third straight boring matchup for us this year.

People are treating it like it was some judgement of the program instead of just a throw away line to start a write-up.

You can bet if we rolled up 80 points on the Leathernecks he would be all over it like a cheap suit.

I'm with MNCVGUY on this one. It is not invalid to suggest that we don't know a whole lot about the quality of our team, and a win against Western Illinois won't show us much more. I'm pleased with the results of the two games, and for the Gopher faithful, its fun to win some blowouts because we know how much we struggled with those two teams (as well as other teams of similar quality) in recent history. However, there is no margin of victory that a team coming off of a 6-7 (2-6) season can run up against UNLV, NMSU, and Western Illinois that will impress anyone outside of the local fan base.

We will keep getting these kind of comments until we show an ability to hang with and beat some of the big boys in the conference.

I'm with MNCVGUY on this one. It is not invalid to suggest that we don't know a whole lot about the quality of our team, and a win against Western Illinois won't show us much more. I'm pleased with the results of the two games, and for the Gopher faithful, its fun to win some blowouts because we know how much we struggled with those two teams (as well as other teams of similar quality) in recent history. However, there is no margin of victory that a team coming off of a 6-7 (2-6) season can run up against UNLV, NMSU, and Western Illinois that will impress anyone outside of the local fan base.

We will keep getting these kind of comments until we show an ability to hang with and beat some of the big boys in the conference.

You are wrong about the last part. It doesn't matter how well the Gophers do. There will ALWAYS be someone writing stuff like this.

Is he wrong? We have played 2 of the worst teams in D1 to date. He was not judging the program or making fun of the Gophers he was just pointing out that this is the third straight boring matchup for us this year.

Rittenburg is correct. We've played garbage up to this point. Point in case, I think people talked more about AggieVision afterwards than the actual game.

You are wrong about the last part. It doesn't matter how well the Gophers do. There will ALWAYS be someone writing stuff like this.

Unless you can provide links to what was written in 1960 or 1961 or 1967, that is patently false. If Minnesota had a 1995 Northwestern football season, the coverage would be circa 1997 Final Four x infinity.

STOP. IT.

Where am I wrong in saying we have played two of the worst teams in D1 to this point? When they rank FBS teams UNLV and New Mexico State are going to show up close to the back end of those rankings.

Not a shot at Kill or even the scheduling in general as everyone schedules creeampuffs for the majority of their non-conf schedule.

I'm certain there are many teams in FCS much worse than both UNLV and NMSU.

My bad, should have put FBS and not Division 1. You got me. When I think of competition that the Gophers should be measured against I don't factor in FCS schools even though technically they are Division 1. Better now?

My bad, should have put FBS and not Division 1. You got me. When I think of competition that the Gophers should be measured against I don't factor in FCS schools even though technically they are Division 1. Better now?

One thing I thought was interesting (and which I agree on), is the fact that Kill mentioned in his presser that you can tell the character of a team by whether they come to work or not even when playing the lesser opponents. I think we can all agree that we should beat the teams that we're supposed to beat - and we are finally doing that. While Mr. Rittenberg is putting us on the back burner while we play our current schedule, at least we're taking care of business. The only thing I'm still annoyed at regarding Rittenberg was his gushing over Indiana.

I certainly hope to see a lot of the 2nd and 3rd rotation guys in the game tomorrow.

Rittenberg and Bennett still rated us #7. I'm feeling the love.

Top Bottom