ACC Releases Updated Football Plan

WriterGoph

Reaction score
Via my ESPN CFB friend:

ACC Football:
· The season’s first games will take place the week of Sept. 7-12
· The 2020 scheduling model includes 11 games (10 plus one: 10 conference and one non-conference)
· All non-conference game opponents, selected by the respective school, must be played in the home state of the ACC institution, and all non-conference opponents must meet the medical protocol requirements as agreed upon by the ACC
· The 11 games will be played over at least 13 weeks with each team having two open dates
· There will be one division
· Notre Dame will also play a 10-game conference schedule and be eligible to compete in the 2020 ACC Football Championship Game
· All television revenue for the 2020 season, including Notre Dame’s home games broadcast by NBC, will be shared equally by all 15 institutions
· The ACC Football Championship Game will be played on either December 12 or 19 at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, North Carolina, and will feature the top two teams based upon highest conference-game winning percentage
· All 15 teams will continue to be part of the ACC’s bowl selection process; should Notre Dame win the ACC Football Championship Game they would be eligible for the Orange Bowl, if not selected as a College Football Playoff semifinal team
· The 2020 ACC Football week-by-week schedule and television selections will be released in the future

Allows the major SEC rivalry games. Somewhat restrictive for the other programs, unless they’re going to play FCS, or are able to play G5 in some cases.

ACC handing over all the milk for free :p
I'm kind of surprised that ND actually had to hand over it's NBC money. The ACC presumably had ND over a barrel, so they could have asked for just about anything. But still, it's ND, so I'm surprised they caved.

I'm kind of surprised that ND actually had to hand over it's NBC money. The ACC presumably had ND over a barrel, so they could have asked for just about anything. But still, it's ND, so I'm surprised they caved.
ND is a conference member in everythink but football and hockey. They wanted and needed 5 more games and a path to the playoffs. Totally worth it.

Allows the major SEC rivalry games. Somewhat restrictive for the other programs, unless they’re going to play FCS, or are able to play G5 in some cases.

I would guess that the ACC walks back the 11th/non-conf game now that the SEC has elected to go the same route as the B10. 10 games conference only.

Last edited:

When UND goes 6-5 and has to play in the Depends New Mexico Bowl they’ll find out what it takes to really play in a conference.
They already play 5 against the ACC and 2 against the pac 12 every year

they usually add another one or two against the big ten.
They also usually add one or two against a big 12 or SEC
They have never played an FCS

last year they played 3 non P5 games.
Navy, Bowling Green, and New Mexico
2018 2 non p5s
Ball state and navy
2017 3 non p5s
Temple, Miami OH, navy
2016 3 non p5s
Nevada, navy, and army

What I’m saying is, there are a thousand things to criticize Notre Dame about. Having easy schedules isn’t one of them. They play the equivalent of a power 5 schedule there is no doubt. And just like any power 5 teams...the ups and downs some years cause it to be a little easier schedule or a little tougher on a year to year basis.

They already play 5 against the ACC and 2 against the pac 12 every year

they usually add another one or two against the big ten.
They also usually add one or two against a big 12 or SEC
They have never played an FCS

last year they played 3 non P5 games.
Navy, Bowling Green, and New Mexico
2018 2 non p5s
Ball state and navy
2017 3 non p5s
Temple, Miami OH, navy
2016 3 non p5s
Nevada, navy, and army

What I’m saying is, there are a thousand things to criticize Notre Dame about. Having easy schedules isn’t one of them. They play the equivalent of a power 5 schedule there is no doubt. And just like any power 5 teams...the ups and downs some years cause it to be a little easier schedule or a little tougher on a year to year basis.
GREAT post.

I think without find a home in a P5 conference, in a year where P5 conferences are electing to play only internally, ND's TV money could have evaporated if the scheduled 10 non-P5 opponents.

SEC officially announces 10 game conference-only for football.

What the hell was the ACC thinking?? Was it for Notre Dame basically, so they can play Navy??

Top Bottom